Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Toyota Camry XLE V6

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-11, 09:56 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Maybe I am the odd one, as much as this gen is a vast improvement from the last, I just can't get to like the styling. I didn't like the pictures, so I thought I might change my mind when I see the real car. However, after seeing couple driving on the road, still look so weired.
You really have to see the car in person. It doesn't look weird like in the pics. I saw White SE in person, it's the best looking Camry ever.
Old 11-06-11, 06:09 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
According to Toyota Specs, the 4-cylinder SE model seems to offer only the Sport Fabric/SofTex-trimmed seats....in two different trim/versions. I don't know what the "SofTex "is (I haven't seen it) but my guess is that it's an imitation-leather.

http://www.toyota.com/camry/features.html
SofTex is synthetic leather that's lighter and has less VOCs than traditional leather. I've seen it in the Prius v and 2012 Prius at a Toyota Press Event and it feels really nice, much better than the NuLuxe imo. It's grippy too. The only question that remains is whether it'll act like cloth or leather during the winter.

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Nice review, Mike. Very honest and, as usual, unbiased.

Dare I say, I like the new Camry - especially in the higher trim levels, with the more aggressive wheels, bumpers, etc. I'm disappointed with Toyota's ever-shrinking color palette. I guess this isn't the segment for interesting colors - for that matter, Toyota hasn't really had any interesting cars for over a decade.... (discounting the IS-F and LFA, of course)

Have you seen Cosmic Grey Mica? It looks dark grey, dark blue or dark green depending on the angle of the light. It's a very slick colour.

Old 11-06-11, 08:14 PM
doublehh03
Pole Position

I saw in the new Camry at the OC auto show and its interior is VERY nice, huge upgrade from the current generation.

However, a few days ago, I saw one finally on the freeway and from the back, it's one ugly car LOL.
Old 11-07-11, 11:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
SofTex is synthetic leather that's lighter and has less VOCs than traditional leather. I've seen it in the Prius v and 2012 Prius at a Toyota Press Event and it feels really nice, much better than the NuLuxe imo. It's grippy too. The only question that remains is whether it'll act like cloth or leather during the winter.
Yes, I figured it was synthetic leather. Having not seen it in person myself, I'll take your word for it, but, if you say it's better than the NuLuxe, then it must be some pretty good stuff. I was very impressed with the NuLuxe I sampled in the Lexus CT200h....it was much nicer looking and nicer-feeling than that junk they stick in the upmarket German vehicles.
Old 11-07-11, 01:55 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Odd, haven't seen one on the road yet here in the NYC metro area.
Old 11-07-11, 02:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm sure you will before long. Camry sales-figures virtually guarantee it.
Old 11-07-11, 03:24 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Seen ton i even went n test drove on
Old 11-07-11, 03:58 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Except for the spunky and silky-smooth V6 drivetrain, the new interior is absolutely the car's best feature.
You fail to notice that the Camry is pretty the exact same underneath the all the new skin and interior. That is why the interior is the best feature as the power-train is almost exactly the same as the previous model.

A good review, but like other reviews people have to watch out for that new car luster feel as the Camry is very similar to the last model which is a bit of a let down.
Old 11-07-11, 04:07 PM
08IS350
Driver

Some people are complaining about rear headrest which is not adjustable. Is it true for all trims? Even XLE?
Old 11-07-11, 04:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by 08IS350
Some people are complaining about rear headrest which is not adjustable. Is it true for all trims? Even XLE?
Yes, the rear headrest is not adjustable. Overall the interior is a leap above the last generation.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 11-07-11 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 04:35 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Yes, I figured it was synthetic leather. Having not seen it in person myself, I'll take your word for it, but, if you say it's better than the NuLuxe, then it must be some pretty good stuff. I was very impressed with the NuLuxe I sampled in the Lexus CT200h....it was much nicer looking and nicer-feeling than that junk they stick in the upmarket German vehicles.
Really? I thought NuLuxe felt rubbery. I would say SofTex is better than "T-Tec", "MB-Tex" and BMW's "leatherette" but not as authentic as MB's "Artico" leather which I find the most convincing.

I do like SofTex's grippier surface so you get the clinginess cloth and the stain resistance of leather.

For Toyota's first attempt (2nd I guess if you include NuLuxe), it's pretty good.
Old 11-07-11, 04:42 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I saw alot of them already....my work parking lot have like 3 of them.....all LE......no SE.
Old 11-08-11, 02:05 AM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
You fail to notice that the Camry is pretty the exact same underneath the all the new skin and interior. That is why the interior is the best feature as the power-train is almost exactly the same as the previous model.

A good review, but like other reviews people have to watch out for that new car luster feel as the Camry is very similar to the last model which is a bit of a let down.
It might be the same powertrain, but there have been improvements. Not to mention, that powertrain is still the best in class V6 powertrain in the class. MPGs are up and due to the car's lighter weight, it's peppier than before...as if it wasn't before. The handling and steering feel are also improved.
Old 11-08-11, 09:21 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
It might be the same powertrain, but there have been improvements. Not to mention, that powertrain is still the best in class V6 powertrain in the class. MPGs are up and due to the car's lighter weight, it's peppier than before...as if it wasn't before. The handling and steering feel are also improved.
obviously it was upgraded since it has best in class MPG and 0-60, at the same time

:-)
Old 11-08-11, 10:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Well, the gas power train, for the most part, unlike the interior, didn't need improving....especially with the V6. I haven't driven the new hybrid model so I can't comment much on new-vs.-old.

Thanks, but, of course, any new car, with the spotless finish, new-car-smell inside, and lack of rattles/squeaks, is going to have a nice feel in that regard. I try, in my reviews, to be as objective as I can under the circumstances. There are things about the last Camry that I was both impressed and unimpressed with....same with the new model. That's why I always include a list of PLUSSES and MINUSES.