Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Decisions, decisions....97-01 NSX vs. C6 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 06:34 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you are looking for a car to take to the racetrack all the time(Z06), NSX all the way !
Old 09-30-11, 09:49 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Everyone, thanks for the feedback. This has been a great thread. I will test drive the 2 nsx models and the z06 before making a solid decision, but for now I am favoring the nsx. I already have speed in my supra, and if I want more speed, I have a ducati 848 that sits in my garage as a trophy bike...this does not help the case for the z06.

I am willing to spend up to $45k, but I am not too concerned about worn-out leather. I can have that redone no problem. More important to have maintenance records and no accidents. Also, I will not be turning this car into a garage queen. As I said earlier, this car will split time with my supra as my daily drivers during spring, summer, and fall.

As far as I can see, the only thing that may force me to reconsider is if for example I find an NSX for $45k and a C6 Z06 for $35k! $10k might force me to settle...say for a C6 Z06 and a rolex

Either way, thanks for your input everyone.
Old 10-01-11, 12:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GQD_GS4
Everyone, thanks for the feedback. This has been a great thread. I will test drive the 2 nsx models and the z06 before making a solid decision, but for now I am favoring the nsx. I already have speed in my supra, and if I want more speed, I have a ducati 848 that sits in my garage as a trophy bike...this does not help the case for the z06.

I am willing to spend up to $45k, but I am not too concerned about worn-out leather. I can have that redone no problem. More important to have maintenance records and no accidents. Also, I will not be turning this car into a garage queen. As I said earlier, this car will split time with my supra as my daily drivers during spring, summer, and fall.

As far as I can see, the only thing that may force me to reconsider is if for example I find an NSX for $45k and a C6 Z06 for $35k! $10k might force me to settle...say for a C6 Z06 and a rolex

Either way, thanks for your input everyone.
nsxprime is really your friend. i drool over there especially the nsx for sale forum every now and then
Old 10-01-11, 12:40 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

You should be banned for posting ****!

I WILL have an NSX one day!
Old 10-01-11, 07:12 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but realize that buying an NSX means purchasing a car with over ten years on the calendar and possibly some hard use. If it's going to be a driver, it's going to require some restoration. Depending on condition, that may mean replacement of bushings, hoses, and other parts that deteriorate with time, a drain and flush of engine and transmission lubricants, inspection of brake calipers and rotors etc. - or it could mean a full frame-off restore if you're going to be picky. If you're serious about buying a 10+ y/o car, you need to consider that in your budget, otherwise you may be investing in a money pit.
Old 10-01-11, 10:04 AM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lil4X
I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but realize that buying an NSX means purchasing a car with over ten years on the calendar and possibly some hard use. If it's going to be a driver, it's going to require some restoration. Depending on condition, that may mean replacement of bushings, hoses, and other parts that deteriorate with time, a drain and flush of engine and transmission lubricants, inspection of brake calipers and rotors etc. - or it could mean a full frame-off restore if you're going to be picky. If you're serious about buying a 10+ y/o car, you need to consider that in your budget, otherwise you may be investing in a money pit.
This is an excellent point, and I always take this into consideration when I buy since I never buy brand new. I still bit the bullet and bought all my old cars. I realize the pro's and con's with new vs. used, and I am very willing to pay for maintenance. However, I don't like taking a hit with depreciation. I think it's important to consider who the previous owner was when deciding to buy an old car.

My trans am is almost 25 years old. I bought it from a car collector in his 40's. He had 2 hydraulic lifts and 7 cars....the trans am sat on top of one of the lifts. He was only selling because he bought a Corvette Grand Sport. The seller was honest, he said outright that he never wanted to sell the car, so the brakes were new, tires were new, oil was fresh, and it was due for a coolant flush. I knew right when I saw the trans am that it was well taken cared of, and I bought it on the spot.

Same thing with my prelude, which is 10 years old. I bought it from an older gentlemen. It was a 4 hour trip into michigan to fetch the prelude....in fact we drove my trans am up there. When I saw the prelude, it was sitting in a 2 story garage that looked like a museum. I think I remember the garaged being carpeted lol. Right when I walked up, it was evident that this old man loved this cars/bikes. I started looking through the prelude and he just kept asking me, "Does it look new enough?" LOL....i couldn't help but smile because he knew just as well as I that there was nothing to look for. I didn't even try to haggle the price....I gave him the cash asap so he could start counting and so we could get on the road back home. I drove it to my maintenance mechanic and asked if I needed to change the timing belt since the car was 10 years old. My mechanic laughed at me and said, "Believe me, I would love to sell you the timing belt job, but you don't need it for another 5 years."

As for my 15 year old supra, I bought it from a dealership, but the owner was the finance manager at the dealership. He knew the history of the car and the previous owner (i was able to look up the old owner's name online to verify). However, I learned that you HAVE TO ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS...or phrase the words correctly to get a real response from dealership employees. I grilled this guy about specific stuff (carfax, spare tire, stock condition, synthetic or regular oil, how long he owned it, why he is selling, all VINs match, etc). When I finally ran out of these questions I said...."So the car is perfect, right? There is absolutely nothing wrong with it, right??" Then he had to change his tune, because if he agreed to those statements and I came back later with problems, I could turn it into a legal mess (something I did vs. Wells Fargo, which is another story). After more prodding, the guy finally disclosed that the car had an oil leak, was due for an oil change, needed a brake job and was on the original timing belt (car had 40k miles but was 15 years old). I got the price a little lower, bit the bullet and bought it anyway. I honestly think he sold it because he didn't want to pay for the maintenance. So after I bought the supra, I took it to my maintenance mechanic, and my tuner mechanic (Tommy at Ill garage in Villa Park, IL) for some work. After all was said and done, my tuner mechanic said mine was the cleanest supra he has ever seen, ever. It was a great compliment, coming from a man that makes his living in the car scene

So moral of the story is: old cars need maintenance, but consider who you're buying from if you want to avoid a broke-down money pit.

Last edited by GQD_GS4; 10-01-11 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-01-11, 01:08 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

I would go with the NSX. It has a really exotic look to it and it's looks so cool.
Old 10-01-11, 01:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

what year would be the z06 that you are considering?
Old 10-01-11, 02:48 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
what year would be the z06 that you are considering?
'06 - '08....i doubt i can find an '09+ in my price range
Old 10-01-11, 03:29 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never seen a NSX on the road
Old 10-24-11, 03:20 PM
js619858
Pole Position

What you get? NSX because it's rare! When I see a Corvette I know it's powerful and fast as hell but boring to me! When I SEE A CORVETTE I think cool but that's it, when people see an NSX they are breaking necks and drooling over it even AMERICAN CAR LOVERS!
Old 10-24-11, 05:08 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Just went on Ebay and drool over the ones for sale.
Some nice one out there.
Old 10-24-11, 06:26 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I Just went on Ebay and drool over the ones for sale.
Some nice one out there.
+1 on that! there is a blue '98 NSX sitting on Advans on ebay for $43k. Looks beautiful. IF a new NSX comes out (yeah right), then hopefullly the prices on these older models will drop.
Old 10-24-11, 08:18 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on that! there is a blue '98 NSX sitting on Advans on ebay for $43k. Looks beautiful. IF a new NSX comes out (yeah right), then hopefullly the prices on these older models will drop.
Unfortunately, prices will probably hold stead. My reasoning is because if Honda does come out with a new NSX version sports car, it probably will be front engine and not mid engine. It more than likely will be more powerful, handle better, but wont have that legendary mid engine driving experience and cockpit view. IMHO of course.
Old 10-24-11, 11:33 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw that one! I love the 2004 one, everything is perfect except it's AUTO!

Quick Reply: Decisions, decisions....97-01 NSX vs. C6 Z06?