Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

VIDEO: Cadillac pits Escalade against MB C-Class - a showcase of STUPIDITY by Caddy

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 09:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Whats most pathetic about the Escalad, is that with all of its size the third row space is pathetic. Thanks to its body on frame construction, its interior space isn't much better than X5/MDX. On the contrary, from what I hear, the GL mercedes has a lot more 3rd row room.
Old 10-03-11, 10:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Caddy's fat pig still weighs in at more than 5,000 lbs. (more than 2000 kilograms). I bet that any Range Rover would just run circles around it.
i don't know what you mean. a lot of suvs in this segment are all over 5000lb.

gl450 - 5300lb
gl550 - 5500lb
gx460 - 5300lb
lx570 - 6000lb
x5 5.0 - 5400lb
q7 - 5300lb
range rover - 5800lb

escalade - 5500lb

you honestly thought other suvs this size are under 5000lb?
Old 10-03-11, 11:09 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl

gl450 - 5300lb
gl550 - 5500lb
gx460 - 5300lb
lx570 - 6000lb
x5 5.0 - 5400lb
q7 - 5300lb
range rover - 5800lb

escalade - 5500lb

Point taken.

However, I would be happy to own and drive any (or if possible ALL) of those full-size SUV that you mentioned.............EXCEPT the Escalade.

Heck, I'd rather have a BMW X6 or an Acura than cheap**** Escalade. And wow, I can't believe I'm saying this but even the new Lexus GX460 (which is the Lexus car that I hate the most along with the HS), well...............I might even choose it slightly over the Caddy.

Anyways, here's something that someone mentioned on youtube after seeing that video:

Mercedes Benz: 10-15 kilometers per liter

Cadillac Escalade: 3-4 kilometers per liter

Originally Posted by Richard Hammond on the Cadillac Escalade
So it's best you take those corners gently and try not to notice that your Miles Per Gallon are barely into double figures

Last edited by Blackraven; 10-03-11 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-03-11, 11:24 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

gl450 - 5300lb
gl550 - 5500lb
gx460 - 5300lb
lx570 - 6000lb
x5 5.0 - 5400lb
q7 - 5300lb
range rover - 5800lb

escalade - 5500lb

Its just another bash on large american suv's if you have not noticed the trend, hell sedans are 4000lbs plus, what do you think an suv is going to weight? the x3 that I cannot even fit in has to be 4100-4200lbs+
Old 10-03-11, 11:43 AM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
However, I would be happy to own and drive any (or if possible ALL) of those full-size SUV that you mentioned.............EXCEPT the Escalade.

Heck, I'd rather have a BMW X6 or an Acura than cheap**** Escalade. And wow, I can't believe I'm saying this but even the new Lexus GX460 (which is the Lexus car that I hate the most along with the HS), well...............I might even choose it slightly over the Caddy.
Haha, agree that the video was ridiculous.

But to the OP, wow, why get so so worked up over a car??? Would make sense if you were a former owner who had purchased a lemon. Just trying to figure out where all the anger stems from...time to call Dr. Phil
Old 10-03-11, 11:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by J.P.
Its just another bash on large american suv's if you have not noticed the trend, hell sedans are 4000lbs plus, what do you think an suv is going to weight? the x3 that I cannot even fit in has to be 4100-4200lbs+
no problem on that at all. i am ok if someone hates american cars that much. i would highly unlikely get a domestic suv as well, but i do want to make it clear that what the reason is behind. i guess it's obvious enough to me now that weight or speed isn't the real issue
Old 10-03-11, 12:05 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys are getting me all motivated to go take a test drive in an Escalade. Heck, maybe I should trade in my LS and have a Prius and an Escalade sharing the garage - the Laurel and Hardy of the car world.
Old 10-03-11, 12:52 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

no problem on that at all. i am ok if someone hates american cars that much. i would highly unlikely get a domestic suv as well, but i do want to make it clear that what the reason is behind. i guess it's obvious enough to me now that weight or speed isn't the real issue
I am fine with that as well, but to bash the car with zero facts right is a waste of time.... Hell the Range Range weights more, is less reliable and also has poor mpg on top of being small, it would be tough to take 2 kids on vacation in a RRS and I know this because I was looking at one.

I can throw 2 kids, all their crap, our stuff, their infant \ car seats plus tow a 7500lb camper in the escalade, come home monday and pickup 6 for a golf outing and not even break a sweat, you cannot do that in many other suv's.....

And I love the RRS so dont get me wrong, its just that none of this makes sense unless you think american big suv's are the root of all evil...
Old 10-03-11, 12:53 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll race it and see what happens.
Old 10-03-11, 02:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I am fine with that as well, but to bash the car with zero facts right is a waste of time.... Hell the Range Range weights more, is less reliable and also has poor mpg on top of being small, it would be tough to take 2 kids on vacation in a RRS and I know this because I was looking at one.

I can throw 2 kids, all their crap, our stuff, their infant \ car seats plus tow a 7500lb camper in the escalade, come home monday and pickup 6 for a golf outing and not even break a sweat, you cannot do that in many other suv's.....

And I love the RRS so dont get me wrong, its just that none of this makes sense unless you think american big suv's are the root of all evil...
pretty much what i have to say too
Old 10-03-11, 03:57 PM
LexFather

When I was younger here I pretty much hated SUVs and never was a fan of the slade. I still would rather drive a tonka truck in raw sewage than a slade but what I can appreciate is that unlike the Lincoln Navigator, it has been a tremendous success for Caddy. There is no denying the fact it is the FACE of Caddy and it was the first flagship that was a SUV that I can think of from a luxury car brand. So I can appreciate what its done, even if its not for me. I won't go into why I don't like it b/c I'm sure its been stated by people before and no reason to rehash it.

One point, 5,000 lbs is a KEY number for a huge business tax write-off. Funny but Lexus kinda screwed the GX 470 its first year as it was listed at like 4990 lbs and didn't qualify.

For hauling 5/6/8 in style with room in the rear a slade gets it done for a lot of people. For people that think its a status symbol, good for them.

I must be getting old, b/c I am defending something I still don't like and never liked . Damn maturity!

Old 10-03-11, 04:19 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
When I was younger here I pretty much hated SUVs and never was a fan of the slade. I still would rather drive a tonka truck in raw sewage than a slade but what I can appreciate is that unlike the Lincoln Navigator, it has been a tremendous success for Caddy. There is no denying the fact it is the FACE of Caddy and it was the first flagship that was a SUV that I can think of from a luxury car brand. So I can appreciate what its done, even if its not for me. I won't go into why I don't like it b/c I'm sure its been stated by people before and no reason to rehash it.

One point, 5,000 lbs is a KEY number for a huge business tax write-off. Funny but Lexus kinda screwed the GX 470 its first year as it was listed at like 4990 lbs and didn't qualify.

For hauling 5/6/8 in style with room in the rear a slade gets it done for a lot of people. For people that think its a status symbol, good for them.

I must be getting old, b/c I am defending something I still don't like and never liked . Damn maturity!
Maybe its just the age has you in a different place in life..... I know a lot of people with these suv's and its like an all in one printer \ scanner \ fax machine to them. Leather and lux during the week and a comfy kid hauler on the weekend without having to own 2 cars..... They are not "my thing" either but its hard to argue the functionality.
Old 10-03-11, 04:24 PM
LexFather

Maybe its just the age has you in a different place in life..... I know a lot of people with these suv's and its like an all in one printer \ scanner \ fax machine to them. Leather and lux during the week and a comfy kid hauler on the weekend without having to own 2 cars..... They are not "my thing" either but its hard to argue the functionality.
Which I agree with completely. I've hypothetically looked at what we would purchase as a 7 seater or even for business. A huge Burban/Slade gets it done especially in extended cabs/EXTs. THen to Caddy's credit the slade has substantially improved every generation which should be commended.

In America, the Slade has sold from 1500- (I think) 4000 units a month. That is a huge number for a 60-90k SUV(anything).

Old 10-03-11, 05:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i can say having a kid make me want a suv that much more
Old 10-03-11, 05:40 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I can see where they were trying to go with the video. I think on an enthusiast site like CL we all tend to roll our eyes when we watch it, but I'm sure if this commercial plays during the super bowl there will be plenty Escalade owners that will think its 'spot on'

I think the Escalade does what its suppose to for Caddy and it does it well Having said that, I wouldn't have signed off on that commercial.

i can say having a kid make me want a suv that much more
+1 for sure. Although based on your posts I see you more in a new pepper than a slade

Quick Reply: VIDEO: Cadillac pits Escalade against MB C-Class - a showcase of STUPIDITY by Caddy