Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which compact car would you get?
Honda Civic
37.93%
Huyndai Elantra
62.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Compact Car: 2012 Hyundai Elantra or 2012 Honda Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 01:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Good: 40mpg on GDI engine, lots of standard equipment, stylish
- Bad: Interior space a little smaller, good warranty, price gouging for a Huyndai?!!!

The Elantra does not utilize GDI for its 148 hp 1.8 I4. It is EPA rated as a midsize sedan so I fail to understand why it has less interior space than the compact Civic. Also did you just put good warranty as a bad thing? This seems like bait.
The O.P has been a valued member here for sometimes. Surely he apologizes for not knowing all the intricate details on a basic transportation car that historically been crap for 2 decades. It is not bait he had legitimate questions.

Hyundai fans....smh

Old 10-05-11, 05:56 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd rock the Hyundai - I like the avant garde styling of the new Elantra and Sonata. If it's going to be a frequently driven car, the warranty would definitely weigh heavily on my decision.

This from a car guy, and one who all but wrote-off Hyundai a decade or so ago. I guess I'm a car snob....

Another factor is... hate to say it... color. If I see one more silver, white, or black Civic, I think I'll quite literally puke. What happened to American's imagination? Their individuality? We go for whitewashed and 'safe' these days.

My '08 Odyssey has not been without problems; part of my beef with Honda and their dealerships is how they treat customers. Having owned mostly Toyotas and Lexus cars, it was a shock. If you pull into the Lexus dealer with a tastefully modified Lexus, they are inquisitive and interested.

Try this with a modified Honda and you get treated like a redheaded step child. Okay, perhaps there is a stigma about modified Hondas, but I am an old white guy, not a pimple-faced math champion. The local dealer tried to deny a window trim rattle on the basis that my van had been lowered - there was a TSB issued for this exact complaint, as it turns out. I read up on it and spent 5 minutes in my driveway repairing the rattle. At night. In the rain. The service adviser spent more time explaining it to me than the repair would have taken. There were other events with the dealer (more than one), but I digress....

I've also replaced the rear shocks, sliding door molding, warped rotors, and right rear wheel bearing, all out of warranty. It's amazing how fast the "whichever comes first" portion of Honda's piddly warranty gets used up.

The '94 NSX has been robust and reliable, but that's an entirely different Honda.

At the end of it all: I love my Honda, but I hate the company. It's unlikely that I will buy another one.
Old 10-06-11, 04:35 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Good: 40mpg on GDI engine, lots of standard equipment, stylish
- Bad: Interior space a little smaller, good warranty, price gouging for a Huyndai?!!!

The Elantra does not utilize GDI for its 148 hp 1.8 I4. It is EPA rated as a midsize sedan so I fail to understand why it has less interior space than the compact Civic. Also did you just put good warranty as a bad thing? This seems like bait.
Bait? Clearly, you see too much into a simple question as I am neither a Huyndai nor a Honda proponent and am just asking a simple question. Thanks for the clarification on GDI, as the salesman told us it utilized GDI. Have you actually sat in an Elantra to compare it to a Civic? IMHO, it felts more cramped. And the "good warranty" was placed in the bad in the wrong place.

Thanks all for the opinions. We're trying to see if we can get a deal on the Huyndai. If they still won't budge for their 20K asking price (for the base model w/ auto no less), it's off to the Civic....
Old 10-06-11, 05:08 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ST430
Thanks all for the opinions. We're trying to see if we can get a deal on the Huyndai. If they still won't budge for their 20K asking price (for the base model w/ auto no less), it's off to the Civic....

Why is your dealer asking for $20k? The msrp on a base GLS with auto is only $18,200.

Anyway, I recommend you visit one of the larger Hyundai dealers. Hyundai's dealer incentives are structured in a way that benefits the bigger volume stores. The largest stores will receive as much as $1,000 more per unit in incentives than the smaller stores.
Old 10-06-11, 05:19 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

easy choice --- go with the Elantra

1. the 12 Civic looks horrible IMO, especially the back.
2. Civic has been panned in reviews for cheap interior and crappy ride/handling;
3. the Elantra warranty is better-- 5yr/60K bumper to bumper with 10yr 100K powertrain versus Honda's 3/36k b-b and 5yr/60K powertrain; and don't they offer guaranteed trade-in value and buy back assurances as well?

comparo tool.... http://www.hyundaiusa.com/competitive-comparisons/

Last edited by bagwell; 10-06-11 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 07:50 PM
JCL2986
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go with the Civic. I sat in a 2012 civic and I like the standard LCD screen. Everything inside is perfectly ergonomic.The 2012 elentra wins with Styling though

Lets go back 10 years.

2001 civic holds its resell value and extremely reliable.
2001 elentra is worth a quarter of a similar equipped civic.
Old 10-07-11, 09:13 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JCL2986
2001 elentra is worth a quarter of a similar equipped civic.
Irrelevant. That's no longer an issue with Elantras. You're talking about a 10-year old model, which was built back before Hyundai had finished its transformation into a quality-car-company. Its products are far better today, more-appreciated by the public, more in-demand as used-cars, and depreciate much less than they did 10 years ago. However, IMO, some of the best Hyundai products were actually built 4-5 years ago, not necessarily today.
Old 10-08-11, 07:20 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Nice, almost 62% favor the Elantra.....these cars are in VERY high demand.....drive by a dealership and I bet you don't see one there.
Old 10-08-11, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
Nice, almost 62% favor the Elantra.....these cars are in VERY high demand.....drive by a dealership and I bet you don't see one there.
True, but the Elantra is only playing catch-up. The Civic has always been a strong-seller. But Honda's efforts to cost-cut its design (ike VW's with the new Jetta) are starting to show.
Old 10-08-11, 10:54 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I've read the same reviews, BUT my daughters 2011 Elantra got 43mpgs on a 3 hour trip a few weeks back. In town she gets 27-32mpgs. So I think they are more accurate that their getting credit for. Most people just have a heavy foot.

Space wise, the Elantra feels MUCH bigger inside than the Civic. We test drove both and went with the Elentra because it out features, comforted, and road the other cars we looked at. It cost about the same also. I think the Focus was the only one that, when maxed out with equipment, cost more.

We looked at :
2011 Civic
2011 Focus
2011 Optima
2011 VW <-- horrible
2011 Mazda 3
2011 Corrola.
What was wrong with the Jetta?
Old 10-08-11, 01:49 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Everything, minus the TDI.
Old 10-08-11, 07:01 PM
scgt652
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
1. http://news.consumerreports.org/cars...-jetta-se.html

2.http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests
Old 10-08-11, 08:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
I lold

Old 10-08-11, 09:16 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
a friend has a new Jetta TDI that's left him stranded 3 times....the last time he had diesel fuel spray everywhere under the hood