Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Front-Wheel Drive...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Decades ago, with one exception (my 2001 Lexus IS300, which I kept for 5 years), starting in the late 1970s, I gave up on RWD cars, mainly because I simply got tired of THIS...................

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-05-11 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-05-11, 11:18 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I've only owned RWD, but i've driven FWD. I just feel RWD is a more pleasant experience.

I drove my 89 Pontiac Firebird all through high school, and it was definitely fun in the winter. It forced me to learn how to drive in inclement weather. I got to where it was pretty simple. It also had bald tires for most of the time I owned it.

My rule for a RWD car is this: Fat people ride in the backseat
Old 10-05-11, 11:31 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In theory, especially looking at the performance perspective, RWD >>> FWD. There is no question about it.

However, for regular production cars that you see on the roads every day, going around and claim all RWD cars are >>> FWD are just ignorant. There are FWD cars that will run circle around RWD cars to the moon and back.

Yes, rear spoiler benefits ALL cars. Its job is to reduce lift regardless of being RWD or FWD.
Old 10-05-11, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by newr
However, for regular production cars that you see on the roads every day, going around and claim all RWD cars are >>> FWD are just ignorant. There are FWD cars that will run circle around RWD cars to the moon and back.
The Mini Cooper and Fiat 500 are two small FWD products that are particularly agile and manuverable. They don't have monstrous power (though the John Works Mini has a fair amount of spunk), but they can follow the twisties like there is no tomorrow.
Old 10-05-11, 07:43 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

I think FWD is perfect for 90% of the population out there and perfect for a DD or beater. If I am building a car for big power RWD and AWD is the only way to go, trying to do that in a FWD causes one of the biggest things I hate, torquesteer !!

Has anyone here driven a Mazdaspeed 3 ?? Then you know what I am talking about !
Old 10-05-11, 07:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002GGPIS3
I think FWD is perfect for 90% of the population out there and perfect for a DD or beater. If I am building a car for big power RWD and AWD is the only way to go, trying to do that in a FWD causes one of the biggest things I hate, torquesteer !!

Has anyone here driven a Mazdaspeed 3 ?? Then you know what I am talking about !
Torque-steer is usually not a problem in modern FWD designs, but the FWD Chevy Impala SS, supercharged Pontiac Grand Prix, and some older versions of the Mazdaspeed3 (I'm not sure about the latest one) were some rare exceptions. The computer in the older 3's, I remember, actually de-tuned the engine in the lower gears to deal with it, and wouldn't allow full-torque until 3rd or 4th gear.
Old 10-05-11, 09:43 PM
LexFather

I disagree you can't tell the difference driving around town. You can tell if you are being pulled or pushed. When you turn any corner the difference is even more obvious as the FWD car is pulling & steering. While its not bad in most cases today there is a difference.

FWD is FWD for efficiency, packaging and b/c its CHEAPER. Period. If a company has mad FWD competitive or even great, well that is great and they should be applauded. However in the end, it can never match the feeling of driving a RWD car.

Old 10-06-11, 12:07 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
FWD:

RWD:

Guess which kid is cooler?

looooooool...haha
Old 10-06-11, 12:46 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coconut
FWD is used on cheaper cars for a reason: its cheaper to manufacture.

I don't understand how some cars costing over $30k can still be FWD.

Biggest culprit guilty of this? Acura! It's Honda's premium brand and all of their current vehicles are FWD or FWD based AWD cars, Not one current RWD car in their stable!...Even Toyota's "Lexus" and Nissan's "Infiniti" brand have more RWD cars that out number their FWD selection in their current stable of cars.
Old 10-06-11, 04:27 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My two cars I rotate driving weekly are polar opposites. One is a FWD. I have no problem with FWD cars. I would take certain FWD cars over many RWD cars, but generally it just depends on the car for me and if its going to be my daily beater or play car.
Old 10-06-11, 05:51 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
Biggest culprit guilty of this? Acura! It's Honda's premium brand and all of their current vehicles are FWD or FWD based AWD cars, Not one current RWD car in their stable!...Even Toyota's "Lexus" and Nissan's "Infiniti" brand have more RWD cars that out number their FWD selection in their current stable of cars.
What about Audi? Either FWD or quattro. Granted their quattro is very good, and now their larger cars (beginning with A7) are built with quattro in tow, but no dedicated RWD vehicle. And lesser models are all FWD.

Last edited by T0ked; 10-06-11 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-06-11, 08:57 PM
tC350
Driver

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
Why do you have to point this out and remind them of this in the first place?

I second this.
Old 10-07-11, 12:26 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I live in a non-snow climate (with an exception maybe once every 10 years), so I have no need for AWD. If I want something practical and easygoing, I don't care if it's front-wheel-drive or one-wheel-drive or whatever. A person driving an appliance for transportation will get no questions from me.

But if I want a performance car, I would want to start out with the most dynamically balanced drivetrain configurations. Some people like FR, some like MR. Some people even like RR. It doesn't take away the credibility of the transportation appliances that people around me drive.
Old 10-07-11, 09:49 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by superchan7
Some people even like RR.
Haha Rear engine + Rear Wheel Drive??? Hot damn.

But man:
What are examples of cars that have such a drivetrain configuration?
Old 10-07-11, 10:11 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I simply hate driving FWD. That's all there is to it.

I had two Camrys before owning my GS, and I would never go back (and not just for the luxuries). RWD feels a lot more balanced and stable on the road, and especially during spirited driving. When I drive our ES 350, I get the exact same feeling: the front end gets twitchy when you do any kind of quick maneuver, torque steer when you mash the throttle, front tires spin pretty easily, etc.

I brought my car in for the 90K this morning and was given a FWD RX350 loaner. On the way back to work, I was on a hill waiting to make a left turn, a space opened in traffic and I gunned the gas to make the turn. Due to the uphill street, FWD and 275hp V6, the front tires skidded for a good 4-5 seconds before actually getting traction and accelerating. I didn't mash the pedal to the ground either - maybe half way to get speed to make it across the street.

Quick Reply: Front-Wheel Drive...