Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Front-Wheel Drive...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 02:04 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Month after month the top selling cars are all FWD. Obviously FWD is not for everyone but they are a huge market and not going anywhere any time soon.
Old 10-07-11, 03:21 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I simply hate driving FWD. That's all there is to it.

I had two Camrys before owning my GS, and I would never go back (and not just for the luxuries). RWD feels a lot more balanced and stable on the road, and especially during spirited driving. When I drive our ES 350, I get the exact same feeling: the front end gets twitchy when you do any kind of quick maneuver, torque steer when you mash the throttle, front tires spin pretty easily, etc.

I brought my car in for the 90K this morning and was given a FWD RX350 loaner. On the way back to work, I was on a hill waiting to make a left turn, a space opened in traffic and I gunned the gas to make the turn. Due to the uphill street, FWD and 275hp V6, the front tires skidded for a good 4-5 seconds before actually getting traction and accelerating. I didn't mash the pedal to the ground either - maybe half way to get speed to make it across the street.
The Camrys and the RX are horrible examples of FWD, nice cars but lack connection and any kind of driver oriented handling, I would say Maximas, 3rd & 4th Gen Altimas, the 3rd Gen TL all have a good mix of FWD and driver performance, they make you feel comfortable and in control, never at anytime do feel like what was that, and why did that happen

edit: maybe the Camrys and the RX are perfect examples of FWD that are not enjoyable to drive