Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Front-Wheel Drive...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 11:49 PM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front-Wheel Drive...

What reasons do people (Especially younger folks) have to get all defensive and/or offended just because you point out or remind them of the fact that their car is front-wheel drive? I mean do some of these folks have some sort of inferiority complex and wished that they had a car that wasn't FWD? I don't know, What do you guys think?
Old 10-04-11, 12:02 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

understeer
wheel-hop
torque steer
reverse staggered
no donuts

y they mad?

Last edited by jadu; 10-04-11 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-04-11, 12:05 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

RWD ftw ...
Old 10-04-11, 12:08 AM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do you have to point this out and remind them of this in the first place?
Old 10-04-11, 12:50 AM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

youngsters grew up in the fwd era, driving mommys camry/accord its all they know~
Old 10-04-11, 01:01 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
Why do you have to point this out and remind them of this in the first place?
Well, that's what I mean...You do anything that reminds them that their car is FWD (i.e Questioning 'em as to why they put a rear spoiler on their FWD car or are putting wider rear wheels that put out colored smoke during burnouts on their FWD cars,etc...) It seems that they get butt-hurt about being reminded of the fact their car isn't in the drivetrain that they desired and can't do donuts...Like as if they wished they could've gotten a car that was RWD/AWD instead. You know what I'm saying?
Old 10-04-11, 01:07 AM
CrazySC300
Lexus Champion

Also, I'm thinking that there's a general consensus going around that Front-Wheel drive is for noobs that don't know how to drive and handle spirited and high performance driving in a more "traditional" drive-train setup.
Old 10-04-11, 05:07 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

FWD is actually best suited to the needs of most people.

Let's face it. Most people could care less about burnouts and performance driving. They want spacial efficiency, low costs and improved fuel economy. In short: they don't need a RWD car.

FWD offers better usage of interior space due to the absence of a space-consuming rear transmission tunnel, less weight, less costs for the manufacturer (cheaper for the consumer), improved gas mileage, better traction during the winter and so much more.

It's horrible to read so many ignorant comments from people on the Internet regarding FWD automobiles. You'll find them all over: Edmunds, Autoblog, Autospies etc. People (more like morons) insisting that small economy / mainstream family cars need to be RWD so burnouts and drag races and balanced track driving can be performed in them.

Yes, because we all know the people buying these cars care about those aspects.

Right.

Why Toyota hasn't made the Camry RWD when clearly 90% of buyers spend their weekends driving them on a track is beyond me.

*Sarcasm*
Old 10-04-11, 05:52 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FWD:

RWD:

Guess which kid is cooler?
Old 10-04-11, 05:55 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazySC300
What reasons do people (Especially younger folks) have to get all defensive and/or offended just because you point out or remind them of the fact that their car is front-wheel drive? I mean do some of these folks have some sort of inferiority complex and wished that they had a car that wasn't FWD? I don't know, What do you guys think?
It's best just to say that the mod looks nice - or say nothing at all. The problem is that while some folks realize that most traditional mods like wider rear tires and rear wings are for show only on a FWD car, there are many Kool-Ade drinkers who believe that a wing from a 747 and a "Type R" badge are performance enhancements. Once you engage in a discussion with them, you are likely to burst their bubble with the truth which they don't want to hear.
Old 10-04-11, 06:32 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
FWD:

RWD:

Guess which kid is cooler?
hahahahhahahahha

There is nothing wrong with FWD but the era of FWD cars being cool and dominant is over. This is no longer the 80s, 90s. Everyone pretty much offers RWD now.

Old 10-04-11, 07:11 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

FWD is cheaper, more efficient, and more effective than RWD. It allows the "power package" to be totally installed in a sub-frame and bolted up to the rest of the car making manufacturing much simpler. It is more efficient because it is a single package (and somewhat more difficult to service than RWD that breaks out the drive axle into a separate package), and generally produces less frictional loss than a FWD system, therefore it is usually more fuel efficient. Finally, by placing the drive wheels under the heavy end of the car, FWD produces more traction, particularly in slippery conditions than RWD and pulling the car rather than pushing it makes it easier to control, particularly for novice drivers.

There is one big disadvantage to FWD that only appears when exchanging bravado for competence. Here you are asking a pair of tires to simultaneously provide tractive and cornering power at once. Pointing the wheels in the direction you want to go would seem to be intuitively correct, but at or near the limit, also applying power to these wheels can overpower the grip of the tire on the road, producing significant understeer . . . just when you don't need it. Rather than look cool, hanging out the tail in great gouts of tire smoke as you power through the corner (while being passed on the inside by faster drivers who understand dynamic balance), you look like an idiot, plowing off the road into the bushes.

Bottom line:
  • FWD for the 95% of drivers who never push the limits and actually pay reasonable insurance premiums.

• RWD for the 4% of us who want to play Speed Racer.

• AWD for the remaining 1% who know and can use driving force on ALL FOUR contact patches.

Old 10-04-11, 07:24 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I love driving FWD. Easier to handle, plus I've learnt how to handle it properly so I can "drift" around a corner.
Old 10-04-11, 07:45 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I love driving FWD. Easier to handle, plus I've learnt how to handle it properly so I can "drift" around a corner.
no.

you may drive it well, but no, you can't "drift" it. at all.
Old 10-04-11, 10:02 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I don't car what wheel my car drives as long as it handles then that's all I care about. I'll take a better handling FWD car over a crappy RWD. I rather win races at the track than show off my donuts to cops

I do like RWD for towing though.

Quick Reply: Front-Wheel Drive...