Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-11, 11:56 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no really i don't, but that audi 4000 and a new A6 have NOTHING in common looks wise.

certainly not confusing the 4GS for a corolla or anything like that, but in mr. burns pic above, the 4GS front wheel fitment (continuing the trend) just stinks compared to the a6.

the shaved off (flattened) wheel arches of the 4GS just scream cheap to me, whereas the A6 has elegantly curved ones.

i think the A6 headlights are far more interesting than the 4GS.
i also think the A6 rear end is far more attractive than the 4GS.

the 4GS also looks big and bulky, wheras the A6 looks svelte and athletic.

so no, i don't think the A6 is bland at all. i think it's great. the 4GS? yeah, pretty bland.

was in lovely Winter Park yesterday... loads of Audis, only Lexus' there were RX. so i guess others like audi style too.
I can only agree on the headlights, though I don't think the A6's headlights are amazingly exciting either. What other area on the A6 do you find is so much more exciting?

To me the A6 is more bland down to the door handles.
Old 10-09-11, 01:10 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the side of GS better. It's more character, muscular and manly. Hell, even side profile of E-class is better than A6 IMO. Audi design department thought that drawing a line cross the side would make any difference or fix the blandness of the car? Hell no. A6's front does look better(more interesting) than any cars in its class because of the fighter jet inspired front grill, but that what on every Audi( pretty annoying to see them mass produce the grill that way). There is nothing interesting about A6 besides the front.
Old 10-09-11, 02:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
Nope...

The FWD 2.0T model merely exists to say a cheap model exists (in the US). They'll all be V6 Quattro models because that's what Audi is known for. Just like the A4. They sell a FWD 2.0T base model, but no one is buying one. Every single one you see is a AWD model.

The RX exists in FWD, but I don't think I've ever seen a FWD RX ever
This is def more a regional thing. FWD RX and A4 are just as abundant as their AWD counterparts here in Cali
Old 10-09-11, 08:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no really i don't, but that audi 4000 and a new A6 have NOTHING in common looks wise.

certainly not confusing the 4GS for a corolla or anything like that, but in mr. burns pic above, the 4GS front wheel fitment (continuing the trend) just stinks compared to the a6.

the shaved off (flattened) wheel arches of the 4GS just scream cheap to me, whereas the A6 has elegantly curved ones.

i think the A6 headlights are far more interesting than the 4GS.
i also think the A6 rear end is far more attractive than the 4GS.

the 4GS also looks big and bulky, wheras the A6 looks svelte and athletic.

so no, i don't think the A6 is bland at all. i think it's great. the 4GS? yeah, pretty bland.

was in lovely Winter Park yesterday... loads of Audis, only Lexus' there were RX. so i guess others like audi style too.
And I am not 4GS is a great design supporter but it certainly seems to me it is far more interesting than the same design, different sausage length methods Audi uses for decades. Again, its not ugly and Audi does a good job with proportions for FWD based cars but it is completely unimaginative and boring. I am quite puzzled how anyone could not find these sedans completely underwhelming, they all look the same with nip/tucks here and there every generation, every sedan.

They literally add x-mas lights and a bigger grill and stretch the window line and that is beautiful and great design? No that is boring and unimaginative.

Seriously, even the A5 vs A7 sportback look the same. I don't understand how people can say a Camry or any Lexus/Toyota is unimagintive and boring when outside the TT/R8 all Audi has done is take the same design and nip/tuck it.

Old 10-09-11, 08:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think Audis are nice evolutionary designs, and look great while not being classy and conservative at the same time. The new A8 is a disappointing design, compared to the previous gen, but the rest of the line up look great. And the R8 is a great looking car, to me its top three between LFA, Astons and the R8.
Old 10-09-11, 09:14 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

I think Lexus should have blacked out the center divider, at least on the F-sport model:

Review: 2012 Audi A6 3.0T Quattro-qyzwx.jpg

If they did though I'm sure many would be saying Lexus is copying Audi. But the Lexus is executed better IMO, even the grill isn't just a basic 2D frame like it is on the A6. Also the Audi with the full LED lights is more techy and robotic and doesn't look like it would age as well IMO. I still think you're getting a more substantial car in the long run with the Lexus compared to the Audi. Though I can't see how one can be called bland while the other not.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-09-11 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 11:37 PM
LexFather

Let me summarize the next posts

"OMG that Lexus looks so stupid, why it look like that, like Audi, its so boring and bland, like Corolla"
"OMG that Audi A3 is beautiful, look at the X-mas lights and OMG its the Mona ****ing Lisa"!!!

Quite frankly neither front end does it for me but the GS is far more interesting and well excited with the pissed off predator look compared to the wide mouth catfish/guppy look of the A6.

Old 10-10-11, 01:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I think Lexus should have blacked out the center divider, at least on the F-sport model:

If they did though I'm sure many would be saying Lexus is copying Audi. But the Lexus is executed better IMO, even the grill isn't just a basic 2D frame like it is on the A6. Also the Audi with the full LED lights is more techy and robotic and doesn't look like it would age as well IMO. I still think you're getting a more substantial car in the long run with the Lexus compared to the Audi. Though I can't see how one can be called bland while the other not.
another problem, just like A4, while that grille is "in your face", in real life car looks a lot more plain, since you are not looking at it 1 foot from the grille and lights :-).

A4 is most boring car in the group and yet in the pics, it looks good because grille is so much more pronounced than in real life, where you barely notice it.
Old 10-10-11, 01:21 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

As someone mentioned before, you cover up the front of the Audi and you can't really tell it apart from another well proportioned car. The cars are really mundanely designed. Even the 4GS, which I am not a huge fan of, has a more distinct side profile than the Audi. And the 4GS' interior blows it away. The other Germans in the mix, BMW and MB, have side profiles that scream their maker, whether you like them or not. And that front grouper mouth of the Audi... I'm not a fan... One of the reasons I'm finding it hard to warm up to the 4GS, although I'll still take it over the Audi. Mind you, I'm not putting down the engineering of the Audi. Quattro is great and their RS vehicles are amazing and at that level of performance, trounce anything in the Lexus lineup (minus the LFA), but in terms of styling and design, their idea of "elegant" and "understated" = bland and boring to me.