Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Update on my 2011 F250 Lariat Ultimate Truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-11, 10:38 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update on my 2011 F250 Lariat Ultimate Truck

Ok, So it's been about 4 months and 5000 miles later on my new 2011 F250 Super Duty. So far, I LOVE THIS TRUCK! I've had no problems at all. It is a beast and gets more stares than my GS did. I have loaded it up several times with well over 2500lbs. It has not failed to get the "smile" from me almost every time I drive it. Plus, it actually has more "cool tech" features than my 06 GS, 07 GS, and 09 ES had. I've been using Ford's Sync for about 2 years in my copmany Ford Fusion, but really got to know the system in my F250. it really is a cool VC system. The new 6.7l PSD is AMAZING and can tow ANYTHING. The only mod's I've done to the truck so far are:

Mods:
>BedRug Bed Liner
>Tool Box
>4 Leaf Procomp Add-A-Leaf system (2 on each side) : gave me an additional 1200lbs capacity plus gave me a 2" rake in the back I wanted.
>Timbren SES - They are like large rubber springs that replace the smaller bump stops

I'm not interested in lifting, lowering, or over modding this truck. I really like it the way it is. The factory 20" chrome wheels look amazing, the tires are a good size and quality, and the grill looks great, so I don't want to cover it up with a brush guard.

I'm very happy with my purchase. Much happier than I was with my Tundra Limited I had for a while last year.

Oh and my wife traded in her 09 ES350 Ultra Lux for a 2012 Dodge Durango Crew Lux. Awesome vehicle! Never thought we'd own a Dodge, but her Durango is amazing.

Here are some new pictures of my truck with a bed decend load. This much weight would have dropped the back at least 1.5-2" before I had my Add-A-Leaf ProComp kit installed.

23 Bags of Red Multch (wet) - Aprox 45+ lbs each = 1035+ Lbs
4 Bags of Sand - 50lbs each = 200 lbs
40 Landscaping Bricks - 5-7lbs each = 200+ lbs
Wheel Barrow = 25lbs

Total Weight =~ 1460 lbs
My truck only setting down between 1/4 and 1/2 inch total with that load!

Last edited by IronCobra; 10-05-11 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-05-11, 10:45 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, there is a reason why the F-150 leads the sales of all other vehicles in the American market.

The smooth ride from the new suspension on the latest Dodge Ram, though, is probably going to be a temptation for a lot of pick-up owners tired of bouncing around on all but glass-smooth roads.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-05-11 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-05-11, 10:50 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, there is a reason why the F-150 leads the sales of all other vehicles in the American market.

The smooth ride from the new suspension on the latest Dodge Ram, though, is probably going to be a temptation for a lot of pick-up owners tired of bouncing around on all but glass-smooth roads.
It's true. Ford has really stepped their game up. Funny thing is that most people can't comprehend that a truck like this costs as much as a fully loaded GS460.

It really has been great so far though.
Old 10-05-11, 10:52 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Interestingly enough, Ford went to a 3 Leaf (per side) setup to improve the ride quality on all XLT, Lariat, and KR Super Duties (even the 1 ton SRW trucks.) It was too soft for me, that's why I added the Leaf springs to improve payload and reduce sagging under load. I thought my ride would go to crap after installing them, but suprisingly it rides exactly the same. It's a very good ride for such a big truck.
Old 10-05-11, 10:56 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Ford really is bringing their A-game the past 2 years. They built up a bad rep in the truck area because of the 6.0 diesel engine that they ran from 03-07. It was largely a failure, but that was International's fault. The resulting litigation from that is why Ford built their own diesel engine this time around.

As a kid who grew up around Ford work trucks, I kind of get weary of all the found on road dead jokes. Usually the people making them have little practical experience......
Old 10-05-11, 10:58 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IronCobra
Interestingly enough, Ford went to a 3 Leaf (per side) setup to improve the ride quality on all XLT, Lariat, and KR Super Duties (even the 1 ton SRW trucks.) It was too soft for me, that's why I added the Leaf springs to improve payload and reduce sagging under load. I thought my ride would go to crap after installing them, but suprisingly it rides exactly the same. It's a very good ride for such a big truck.
I think Ford made a mistake going to 3 leaves. They've always been the king of no-sag. Anybody who thinks that the trucks needed to ride softer than they have been in the last 8 or so years is a panzy.
Old 10-05-11, 11:02 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I think Ford made a mistake going to 3 leaves. They've always been the king of no-sag. Anybody who thinks that the trucks needed to ride softer than they have been in the last 8 or so years is a panzy.
I completely agree 100% and so does virtually everyone on Ford Truck forums, especially when you talking about a 3/4-1 ton truck.
Old 10-05-11, 11:25 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I grew up around an 85 F250 XL 4x4 with the 6.9 liter mechanical diesel(non-turbo too). The only options that thing had was a hard bench seat and a radio. That was replaced in 98 with our current truck, a 1992 F350 Crew Cab with the 5.8 gas engine. It also has no options. It's amazing how far trucks have changed.
Old 10-05-11, 01:54 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Glad to hear your so pleased with this beast!
Old 10-05-11, 07:08 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Looks good. Lets see some interior shots. My cousin has a new f150 with the ecoboost motor awesome interior and the sync is great and it got great power.
Old 10-05-11, 08:54 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Super Duty, I picked up a F450 a few months ago too, put 10k on her. She's a towing beast!! I was sent on the scales and I clocked in at 90k!! The police couldn't believe it, I was so lucky to talk my way out of it. Having a buddy with a CDL next to you at the moment sure does help. (only towed that much once could not find a truck for that day). Any who that truck still tows around 30k daily.
Attached Thumbnails Update on my 2011 F250 Lariat Ultimate Truck-f40-trailer.jpg  
Old 10-05-11, 08:56 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bad co
Nice Super Duty, I picked up a F450 a few months ago too, put 10k on her. She's a towing beast!! I was sent on the scales and I clocked in at 90k!! The police couldn't believe it, I was so lucky to talk my way out of it. Having a buddy with a CDL next to you at the moment sure does help. (only towed that much once could not find a truck for that day). Any who that truck still tows around 30k daily.
My mods are tints all around, goose neck hitch and 40ft BIg Tex trailer. New steer tires, and Hercules tires in the back.
Old 10-05-11, 09:28 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

gotdamn, the 450 looks like a little toy in front of that load.
Old 10-07-11, 06:50 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bad co
WOW, that's alot of weight! How much does the trailer weigh? What is the pin wieght on the hitch? Your brakes must have been red hot! Did the DOT give you any issue with exceeding the specs of the truck at all?

Can you break down the load weight? I didn't have any idea those crates weight that much!
Old 10-07-11, 07:21 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Red Bully
Looks good. Lets see some interior shots. My cousin has a new f150 with the ecoboost motor awesome interior and the sync is great and it got great power.
They didn't do quite the same interior upgrade that the 09+ F150 received. I think the Super Duty has more of a truck interior though. I like the F150 Interior and it seams appropriate for a 1/2 ton. I really think the SD interior give it a much more "macho truck" look. I opted for the primuim radio instead of the Nav system because I have 2 tablets I always use instead. So that was a $2800 feature I didn't need.

Here is a picture I just took.
Attached Thumbnails Update on my 2011 F250 Lariat Ultimate Truck-interior.jpg  

Last edited by IronCobra; 10-07-11 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Update on my 2011 F250 Lariat Ultimate Truck