Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

I bought my first car!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 12:19 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I bought my first car!!

So, a few months back, I posted a thread asking you guys for advice on what car I should buy as my first car - an MR2 or an SC400. Well, I bought neither of those.

I wasn't even looking for a car, but I saw the ad for it and I just couldn't resist. I bought a 1986.5, NA 5-speed, Mk3 Supra. I bought it for $1600, and the seller has rebuilt the top end of the engine, including replacing the headgasket and retorquing the headbolts to proper specs. It has its problems - it desperately needs to be washed and detailed, both inside and out. It had an aftermarket sunroof put in that broke, so I need to replace that. The radio is missing... Also, a hose going to the power steering pump is leaking fluid badly, but it's pretty cheap to replace. Lastly, it's going to be CRAP in the winter unless I get AMAZING studded, snow tires.

Overall, even with all of those problems, I'm happy as can be! I already love this car and I've only had it for a day.

I'll post pictures tomorrow once I've washed it and stuff!
Old 10-07-11, 12:57 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad you got a car you enjoy. Fix her up and hopefully she serves you well
Old 10-07-11, 02:53 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

in for the xJZ swap.....

Old 10-07-11, 08:10 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

Congratulations.
Old 10-07-11, 08:35 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rkyat
in for the xJZ swap.....

Someday soon.
Old 10-07-11, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Congratulations.

I agree with you, though....don't even THINK of driving it in the winter (especially in the CO mountains) without chains or studded-tires. But, first, check and see if studded tires are legal in your state....they are banned in many places.

Also, on a car that old, check the condition of the seat/shoulder belts and their holsters. Replace them if they show any signs of bad deterioration, fraying, etc..... It might cost a few bucks, but you only have $1600 in the car to start with, and your life, in a potential accident, is certainly worth more then that.
Old 10-07-11, 12:52 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Congratulations.

I agree with you, though....don't even THINK of driving it in the winter (especially in the CO mountains) without chains or studded-tires. But, first, check and see if studded tires are legal in your state....they are banned in many places.

Also, on a car that old, check the condition of the seat/shoulder belts and their holsters. Replace them if they show any signs of bad deterioration, fraying, etc..... It might cost a few bucks, but you only have $1600 in the car to start with, and your life, in a potential accident, is certainly worth more then that.
Why would studded snow tires be banned?

The interior has certainly seem better days. The shoulder belts are a bit loose, so I should probably replace them. Anything else I should watch out for?
Old 10-07-11, 01:46 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

studded snow tires destroy roads, so a lot of states have restrictions on them. However I believe CO allows unrestricted use of them.
Old 10-07-11, 03:36 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Congrats on the new ride, cant wait to see pictures!
Old 10-10-11, 12:53 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Pictures!

Mismatched door.

The interior has seen better days...

Old 10-11-11, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LunaVyohr
Why would studded snow tires be banned?
On some road surfaces that aren't covered with ice or hard-packed snow, they can leave small holes punched in the pavement.

The interior has certainly seen better days. The shoulder belts are a bit loose, so I should probably replace them. Anything else I should watch out for?
Check the condition of the radiator cooling-hoses and drive-belts to the A/C compressor, power-steering pump, water-pump, etc..... If they haven't been replaced, they are probably in very poor condition by now. You've already said one of the power-steering hoses is leaking....but that is a separate issue from these others.
Old 10-11-11, 10:53 AM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
On some road surfaces that aren't covered with ice or hard-packed snow, they can leave small holes punched in the pavement.

Check the condition of the radiator cooling-hoses and drive-belts to the A/C compressor, power-steering pump, water-pump, etc..... If they haven't been replaced, they are probably in very poor condition by now. You've already said one of the power-steering hoses is leaking....but that is a separate issue from these others.
I'm not sure about the drive belts, but I know that the cooling-hoses, vacuum lines, water pump, power steering hoses, etc. have been replaced. The thing that's leaking is the pressure line going to the power steering pump.
Old 10-11-11, 02:38 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

what ever you do,dont put too much money into it because if someone hits you, the insurance company isnt going to give you anything for it.ive been there and done that.keep it cheap and just drive it into the ground then by another one.