Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW pulls The Switch on unsuspecting 1 Series owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-11, 12:17 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default BMW pulls The Switch on unsuspecting 1 Series owner

BMW pulls The Switch on unsuspecting 1 Series owner

We can appreciate a well-orchestrated prank as much as the next guy. But being the car nuts we are, we'd implore any would-be prankster to leave cars out of it. TP the guy's house, Saran-wrap the toilet, make a crank call or two if you must. But for the love of all things holy, please leave the cars alone.

At least that's what we thought before we saw the kind of candid-camera prank the BMW Performance Parts team had in store for one driver in Singapore. The proud owner of a 1 Series Coupe returned to her car in the parking lot to find her car fitted with a Performance Power Kit and an upgraded exhaust system. It's a marketing schtick that reminds us of TV shows like Overhaulin', but at least it's sort of car prank we can get on board with.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceQQE...layer_embedded

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/10/05/b...-series-owner/
Old 10-07-11, 01:48 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AHAHA this video is great. I think almost all of us would have noticed right away it wasn't our car, seat position changed, cleanliness, etc.
Old 10-07-11, 01:58 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hahah that was pretty good Too bad they didnt' switch out more stuff though
Old 10-07-11, 03:38 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually thought the video was fake.

Initially, we see the technicians driving her car out from between a Lexus IS and some type of Honda. Later, we see the technicians coming back and parking the new car between the same two cars - basically the parking spot where she initially parked her car.

Later in the day, when the "victim" comes, the car is parked somewhere else.

Her reaction is completely unnatural.

A normal person would suspect that their car has been stolen. This woman walks around the garage (smiling, although with a "forced" puzzled look on her face) until she finds her car. And she "doesn't seem to notice" the changes.

I don't know about you, but I always know exactly where I park my cars in a parking garage and I know when something on my car(s) has been changed.

I'm pretty sure the video is faked. A nice publicity stunt, but I am not convinced.
Old 10-07-11, 04:22 PM
Getrag
Rookie

Looks fake.

At least the owner/driver was kind of cute..............her friend not so much.
Old 10-07-11, 06:37 PM
Roid Rage
Driver School Candidate

it's obviously a fake.
Old 10-07-11, 11:52 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fake nor not you have to love a girl that gets a BMW with the red interior, looks like the sports package, loves to drive fast, and loves a loud exhaust.
Old 10-08-11, 12:06 AM
SaintNexus
Lexus Champion

That was pretty lame. They should've parked the car at the same spot instead of moving it.
Old 10-08-11, 12:24 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Pretty cool idea.
Old 10-08-11, 10:55 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

A neater "prank" would have been replacing her RWD BMW 1er with a specially-made FWD BMW 1er. I wonder if she would have been able to tell the difference.
Old 10-08-11, 12:31 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why do we always think we know everything?

Originally Posted by DustinV
I actually thought the video was fake.

Initially, we see the technicians driving her car out from between a Lexus IS and some type of Honda. Later, we see the technicians coming back and parking the new car between the same two cars - basically the parking spot where she initially parked her car.

Later in the day, when the "victim" comes, the car is parked somewhere else.

Her reaction is completely unnatural.

A normal person would suspect that their car has been stolen. This woman walks around the garage (smiling, although with a "forced" puzzled look on her face) until she finds her car. And she "doesn't seem to notice" the changes.

I don't know about you, but I always know exactly where I park my cars in a parking garage and I know when something on my car(s) has been changed.

I'm pretty sure the video is faked. A nice publicity stunt, but I am not convinced.

it looked pretty real to me. Their goal was obviously to get her to notice SOMETHING happened. Doubt they could accomplish that by parking it where she left it. Her expressions dont seem forced to me, as soon as she sits in her car she does what any human being would do, grab her cell phone and call someone. She even got nervous and red when the techs showed up.... When you prank someone most of the time you are trying to scare them (goes hand in hand with thinking your car got stolen)

and look ONE MORE TIME. come on, your in a LEXUS forum I would expect you be better at pointing one out. She was never parked next to a lexus IS to begin with, its a honda civic and suzuki or what almost looks like to be a singarope model of a toyota corolla, looks nothing near an IS250/350 ....

Originally Posted by Incredible
That was pretty lame. They should've parked the car at the same spot instead of moving it.
why? all that would happen is her sit in her car and MAYBE notice an exhaust difference... not so much fun then.

not saying it isnt a publicity stunt, but I will give credit to them for a job well done.

Last edited by Vroomin350; 10-08-11 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-08-11, 10:49 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

If my car got moved, I wouldn't get into it without checking it first, especially not if I were a woman. Just saying...