Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Ads drifting plain jane FWD cars
Yes, its better than RWD
0%
I drift my goat
21.05%
It took them 503,290 takes to finally get it right
5.26%
Lame. End of discussion
73.68%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

If I see one more lame ad with a FWD car trying to drift.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-11, 08:45 PM
LexFather

Smile If I see one more lame ad with a FWD car trying to drift.....

Watching SNL and Kia decides to try to slide the Optima and drive it on the track? It wasn't as bad as the ridiculously dumb FWD TSX commercial but it still is trying WAY to hard to poseurs. The other terrible one was the Honda Accord coupe drifitng in the desert....I know the new Camry has as an ad of it with Nascar or something silly but I don't think its drifting....

seriously, stop posing... Leave the drifting to powerful RWD cars.

Old 10-08-11, 08:57 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
seriously, stop posing... Leave the drifting to RWD cars.
Fixed.
EDIT: A RWD car doesn't have to be powerful to drift, look at Corolla GTS AE86.
Old 10-08-11, 10:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^

Good fix.

No need for too much power...

Old 10-08-11, 10:40 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 10-08-11, 10:48 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I saw that commercial last night too. I wasn't too pleased
Old 10-08-11, 11:35 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT

^ now that's cool! will she be the next danica patrick in training?
Old 10-09-11, 12:32 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

i havent seen the kia, but Im tired of seeing this as well, i.e. tsx, accord coupe

Trending Topics

Old 10-09-11, 07:38 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any links to these commercials for those who have not seen?
Old 10-09-11, 08:18 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

You can't blame people for trying this, but I do find it lame.
Old 10-09-11, 09:03 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

These commercials are so stupid. I see so many kids trying to drift now. I'm not sure if it's these dumb commercials or if it was Tokyo Drift, but it needs to stop.
Old 10-09-11, 09:11 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

In my opinions, Honda/Acura at the moment doesn't have any exciting cars and they haven't for a while (excluding the S2000). So for them to even make "sporty" commercial or commercials portraying their products as being "sporty" is a big joke on its own. If they want to reach that sort of audience, please just make a worthy sports car, not a sporty commercial about a grocery getter FWD drifting the streets.
Old 10-09-11, 12:57 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

I wonder if somebody will sue for false advertising

Yes, Honda should really come up with another RWD platform. Their last 2 RWD cars (NSX, S2000) were phenomenal.

On a side note, RWD FTW
Old 10-09-11, 01:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
You can't blame people for trying this,
Yes, you CAN blame people. Dumb is dumb, regardless of who does the commercial.

I watch WWE, for example (both RAW and Smackdown) knowing that it is a circus-show, not a real sport, and that virtually all of it is carefully-staged. But, obviously, that doesn't mean I'm dumb enough to try those stunts myself.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-09-11 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 01:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Coconut
I wonder if somebody will sue for false advertising

Well, no one brought litigation against Subaru with the Outback/Hulk-Hogan ads, when Hogan was slamming one around on tough off-road conditions, in chase-scenes, that Outbacks were obviously never designed for. Nor was Pontiac ever sued for its Montana minivan ads that (again) pictured the minivan on Macho/cowboy off-road scenes that it was also never intended for. So why sue Honda or Kia for another silly ad? Many ads, in fact, are an insult to one's intelligence.......It's just a fact that one has to accept in life. If I sued for every dumb ad I ever saw I would literally never be out of court. Most of the time I just hit the "mute" button.

I just recently did a poll right here in CAR CHAT, for example, over what you guys thought were the worst TV car-insurance ads (another industry known for chimp-level advertising).

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-09-11 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-09-11, 02:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
In my opinions, Honda/Acura at the moment doesn't have any exciting cars and they haven't for a while (excluding the S2000). So for them to even make "sporty" commercial or commercials portraying their products as being "sporty" is a big joke on its own. If they want to reach that sort of audience, please just make a worthy sports car, not a sporty commercial about a grocery getter FWD drifting the streets.
The TL SH-AWD with 6-speed manual is probably their only "fun and sporty" offering.

C&D did a comparo when it was relativley new against a 335i, 335xi, G35, and S4. Here's the results:

2010 Acura TL SH-AWD Manual - First Drive Review
Adding a manual transmission makes the robotic TL more human.

When designing the manual transmission for the 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD, engineers actually measured the shift stroke of its competitive cars. Obviously—why else would Acura tell us this?—the TL has the shortest throw in its class at 3.5 inches. Engineers also measured clutch pedal engagement and disengagement effort. We’re fans of short-throw shifters and smooth clutch pedals, but going so far as to quantify those normally subjective qualities is something we don’t see very often. We’re not about to complain, though, given Honda/Acura’s reputation for slick-shifting manuals. Take a test drive of an Acura TSX or a Honda Civic Si or S2000 if you doubt us.

In case you’re not familiar with the new TL, we’ll bring you up to speed. For 2009, the TL is all-new, and it looks like the giant shovel that hit the front end was left where the grille should be. If that sounds harsh, we’ll apologize by saying that at least the newest Acura face looks better on the TL than the TSX or RL. The TL now comes in front- and all-wheel-drive versions, the latter known as SH-AWD. The standard TL gets a 280-hp, 3.5-liter V-6, similar to the previous TL Type-S. SH-AWD versions get a power and displacement bump to 305 horsepower and 3.7 liters, and have the added availability of 19-inch wheels shod with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires. Both 2009 versions come standard with a five-speed automatic transmission.

And Then Acura Created Manual

The lack of a manual transmission will be remedied for the 2010 model year when the six-speed comes out around November of 2009. Acura says the price will be the same as that of the automatic TL SH-AWD with the technology package, and EPA fuel economy will be the same at 17 mpg city and 25 highway. The goal of the stick shift is two-part: to keep former self-shifting TL Type-S owners happy, and to get some conquest purchases from enthusiasts who might have discounted the TL’s front-wheel-drive setup and slushbox as not sporty enough.

Still, the goals of the six-speed TL are modest. Of the projected annual TL volume of 70,000 units, Acura only predicts five percent—or 3500—will be the TL SH-AWD with the manual transmission. Weight in the manual car is reduced by 88 pounds, so the front springs, shocks, and power steering have been retuned for the weight reduction. In addition, the front driveshafts and engine and transmission mounts have been beefed up. The basic gearbox is the same as the six-speed from the old TL Type-S, but almost every component is improved for a higher torque capacity. Thanks to the reduced weight and the ability to do clutch-abusing high-rpm launches, Acura says the 0-to-60-mph time should improve by 0.7 second over the auto-equipped cars, which would put the manual in the mid- to high-five-second range..

We got a sneak peak of the six-speed TL at the Transportation Research Center in central Ohio, Acura/Honda’s de facto North American proving grounds. Eager to prove that the TL is all that and a bag of chips, they brought out a BMW 335i and 335xi, Infiniti G35, and Audi S4 to compare as we lapped around the Dynamic Handling Course, a twisting track circuit penned by Allen Wilson, designer of Miller Motorsports Park and Barber Motorsports Park. All five cars, including the TL, were fitted with sport packages and the most aggressive summer tires available from the factory.

Although our driving impression is limited to the track, a few things are readily apparent in the TL six-speed. First: all that measuring was worth it. The clutch pedal is as smooth and progressive as any car we’ve driven, in stark contrast to the spasmodic pedal in the Infiniti G35 (although Infiniti has made improvements with the G37). The same goes for the shift lever, which continues in the Honda/Acura tradition. Shifting in the TL is so easy that it requires almost no attention, leaving your focus on the road ahead. Another revelation was that the BMWs, both equipped with optional active steering, have less than satisfactory steering feel. Perhaps Acura is using those cars for their benchmark, because the TL’s electric power steering has better weight but is notable for its distinct lack of communication with the driver.

Compared to the TL, the BMW is still the benchmark for balanced handling. At almost every point on the track, either 3-series is perfectly neutral and very responsive to driver inputs. But—surprise, surprise—the TL is quicker around the track than any of the other cars. That’s by Acura’s timing of both its own test driver and of every journalist present at this press event. Given the unfamiliarity with the track and our aversion to crashing, we weren’t driving as hard as Acura’s hot shoe, but the results back up our impression.

So how does the Acura beat the more balanced BMWs, the more powerful S4, and the better power-to-weight ratio of the G35? For starters, this is honestly a good chassis, and the Michelin tires lend plenty of grip. Also the rear-wheel torque vectoring of the SH-AWD system does an excellent job of mitigating the TL’s inherent understeer, so you can enter a corner faster without worrying about pushing wide, and you can hit the gas sooner on exit. It doesn’t feel as natural as the balance of the BMW, but there’s a lot of thrill in knowing you’re going faster.

So is the TL SH-AWD six-speed going to win over any BMW loyalists? We doubt it, but it won’t take many to fill up Acura’s order quota. Anyone looking at a G37x should take a look at this TL as well. Even Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and Subaru Impreza WRX STI shoppers willing to give up some speed for extra (read: any) luxury might be interested. The standard attributes and deficiencies of the TL are still here—plenty of technology and a good interior, but questionable styling, numb steering, and button overload—but those willing to give the six-speed a test drive next year should be impressed, if not completely swayed

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t_drive_review

Quick Reply: If I see one more lame ad with a FWD car trying to drift.....