Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Customer 1, Dealer 0! (Long, but good)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 02:07 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Mack
Did you think I was inferring you should get your $ stolen? Far from it. I was simply stating that anyone who drives any car shouldn't be overly concerned about any small expenses like a tube o' lube or anything like that since it's part of normal maintenance. If you're having to sweat the small parts, you probably shouldn't own/drive a car was the only point, not specific to you. M

Maybe you meant the parts guy at the dealer shouldn't have made an assumption that because you drive a Lex you shouldn't be concerned about the price of a tube o' lube? If so, I completely agree. I bought mines because I knew it wasn't going to need a ton of maintenance every other week, would provide a nice quality ride that I enjoy (as opposed to the harshness of most BMW's, for example), and wouldn't break my bank, either. So far, so good.

It's kind of like home ownership. It doesn't matter if you buy a 1000 sq ft 2 BR/1BA or a 2500 sq ft 4 BR/3BA - if you are so stretched to afford the house itself that you cannot afford the inevitable maintenance or little crap that goes wrong, you need to reassess your financial situation (again, not you specifically, just in general).

And thanks, I was trying to convey my point about the rest because it seemed like it was much more adversarial than a customer service experience should ever be.

Good call. I try to give credit/blame when it's due. It's important to me to do so, and I'm sure you and I aren't the only ones.

Big Mack
We definitely see eye to eye on this one. I understand fully about cost of ownership.

Look at my Signature!
Old 10-12-11, 02:34 PM
Milan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lust4Lexus
I bought my LS CPO and I am far from rich. I think alot of us here are the second owners of our Lexus. I hear the constant murmer of "if you can afford an LS, you can afford bla bla bla". That's bogus. I bought my LS not because I have 7 figure bank account; I bought it because I am an educated consumer, and realize that the CPO lexus is the best car money can buy for my hard earned money
Hear hear!

My Lexus replaced my Honda Accord so it's kind of funny hearing this story about a Honda dealership. I too bought mine because I wanted a somewhat luxurious car that would not require a trip to the dealer one a month or more. It always irks me when someone tells me, "Business must be good!" when the Ford Fusion they're driving cost them twice as much as I paid for my LS. I don't even like telling people that I drive a Lexus when they ask. I usually say I drive an LS430. Most people don't put two and two together.
Old 10-13-11, 12:43 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great story with an excellent point. I'm pretty surprised at the attitude the guy gave you. You would think they would at least politely decline. I guess that guy missed the training day that taught customer service is crucial to business lol.
Old 10-13-11, 09:48 AM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow all that drama for a couple of dollars and you own an LS430?
Old 10-13-11, 10:58 AM
Milan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nysupraman
Wow, the entire point of the story just went right over your head.
Old 10-13-11, 12:28 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I suggest to read the whole story and make a comment.
Old 10-13-11, 12:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
Originally Posted by blacksc400
I suggest to read the whole story and make a comment.
and he drives an isf j/k
Old 10-13-11, 12:44 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Amen! It must have been really high too!
Old 10-13-11, 05:12 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Talking

Why not treat this as a teachable moment? You have now learned that money cannot buy brains or common sense. Count today as a positive.

Big Mack
Old 10-13-11, 08:35 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Relax there internet bullies... I understand it's the principle of the matter, but going through all that trouble just to "fix" the issue over the given value of the product we are talking about here...especially if "maintenance comes before mods"?

...and thank you BIG MACK for the lesson: money cannot buy brains or common sense...but in my case my brain and common sense earns me money! Counting today as a positive
Old 10-13-11, 08:57 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Relax there internet bullies... I understand it's the principle of the matter, but going through all that trouble just to "fix" the issue over the given value of the product we are talking about here...especially if "maintenance comes before mods"?
Who bullied you? And if you truly understood that it was the principle of the matter, the rest should not have come into question. I reiterate what I said before because I have tremendous doubt about the rest of your reply.

Big Mack
Old 10-14-11, 06:34 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep on topic guys, let's not get personal.
Old 10-14-11, 07:39 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How is it some huge win?

Unless the internet is brand new to you, the number of stores that advertise their store price on the internet is miniscule. Expecting to walk into a DEALERSHIP and pay an internet price is ridiculous. At least go an extra step and pay for it online and TRY to pick it up at the nearest dealer to 'save them' on their shipping costs. To call it misleading because the internet price applies to the internet price is well......

Even already knowing the internet price you still complained that you're buying a jar of Vaseline.

I just looked online and most places are charging 5.95 for shipping. You're in NY so that product also comes with over 8% of taxes. So even online it's over $20 shipped. And I truly hope that it wasn't a Honda dealer in Manhattan that you were trying to bargain shop.

So for a $15 tube of silicone you
Researched online - said I can't wait to have this product shipped to me at a lower price, I have to go to the dealer
Haggled with the parts clerk
call another dealer like that has any significance to the dealer you're at but you call anyway knowing it's a 40 min drive
Go back to the parts clerk
Tell them you're going to leave but you don't
Then its receptionist to service manager
Service Manager who has no power over parts manager tells you sorry no go
You then tell the Honda Dealership that they should be like Lexus
Because they don't care about your opinion, you gave her a 'polite' earful.
Then it's back to the receptionist because you're a letter writer and feel validated because the receptionist agrees with you.
Now it's on the General Manager who after hearing you rant, gets the parts manager and they decide to give you the tube of grease to get you the hell out of their dealership so they can get on with their day.

All this because you've given then 10's of thousands of dollars over the years. So basically you bought one car in total.

In between every point in your timeline the story could have ended with:
"I said there's no way I'm paying that price, I'll get it cheaper on the internet and wait the three or four days for it to come in"

That's fine, I understand the gist of the story, but before I crown you the next Ghandi for standing up to the man, there is a vetting process. All this time, effort and aggravation of a tube of grease? At the end you still ended up getting a product for free so what did the dealership gain by eventually providing you with the customer service level you claim you've earned. You theaten them with a negative review and the guy gives it to you for free and yet, they still get a negative review.

Maybe my props are just getting harder to give these days.
Old 10-14-11, 08:09 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Wow, it was a simple point that some people just don't get.

It's about principle. I don't think the dude would have been frustrated had the actual cost been communicated properly.

Sometimes it is VERY neccesary to stand up for the little things. Think of it as a reminder to a company that customers need to be the point of focus.

For everyone that actually makes a valid complaint and expresses their displeasure, there are likely numerous others who silently said to themselves "F it. I'll just do my business elsewhere".
Old 10-14-11, 08:14 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

next time go to your local parts store and buy a large tube of dielictric grease for 3 dollars,does the same thing and will last you a life time.using this stuff for over 30 years.

Quick Reply: Customer 1, Dealer 0! (Long, but good)