Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New NSX confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 01:19 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
Honda's lost its street cred years ago. Porsche already did the hybrid supercar in the new 911. Honda had a great concept NSX that Ferrari wound up building. So they are too late to the party.

Even their normal everyday cars are getting bad reviews like the Civic. I expect Hyundai to kick Honda while they are down and expect a revolutionry supercar from them before Honda, shame really.
Rumors are already floating around that Hyundai is already working on a $100k+ supercar!

Wonder if it will come with Hyundai Assurance and the 10yr/100k warranty
Old 11-29-11, 06:03 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Update

The 1st clues to Honda’s long-awaited NSX successor will be unveiled at the Detroit Motor Show. The Japanese company has confirmed that a hybrid concept known internally as the Super Sports will appear at the US event at the start of January.

A mysterious Acura concept was spotted last month on the set of the new Avengers movie in Central Park, New York, alongsive the film's star, Robert Downey Jr. Honda refused to comment on the pictures, but it's though that this mid-engined roadster could be the car in question.

Should the model make production, as is anticipated, it is likely to go on sale by 2013. Honda even took the bold move of showing a fleeting image of a sleek, silhouetted image of the model at a technical presentation to journalists at its Motegi Twin Ring facility.

R and D boss Yoshikazu Kigoshi said: “It will define the new face of Acura (Honda’s premium US brand).” But the car is set to go on sale worldwide, and it will wear the Honda badge in Europe and possibly even resurrect the revered NSX name.

An insider at the company admitted new boss Takanobu Ito had been stung into action after suggestions that a company once famed for its sporty cars and engineering expertise had lost its way in recent years. “This is the start of new direction for Honda,” he stressed. “We need a halo product.”

And chief operating officer of R and D Toshikiho Nonaka outlined the company’s agenda when he confirmed: “We are investigating a Super Sports car that pursues exhilarating fun.”

However, the new model will be in keeping with Honda’s Earth Dreams policy, which prioritises Fun, the Environment and Safety, and is likely to feature an electric motor as well as conventional power.

Other technology which could be used in the car is the firm’s new Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive system.

This torque control system transfers energy from inside wheels to outside wheels while cornering to maximize stability. Auto Express briefly tested it at the firm’s test track and found it delivered an extremely sporty drive, even in something the size of an Accord.

Nonaka acknowledged SH-AWD would be ideal for a new flagship performance model when he said: “We do have an understanding that lightweight, speedy, sporty vehicles are needed for this system.” President of Honda Motor Europe Manabu Nishimae added: “We know there are customers who want Honda sports cars and we are developing and intending to deliver products for them.”
Old 11-29-11, 07:34 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds good in theory. The pic above looks nice. History tells me not to care or think twice.
Old 11-29-11, 08:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i guess it got that much closer to reality?
Old 11-29-11, 09:05 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

An insider at the company admitted new boss Takanobu Ito had been stung into action after suggestions that a company once famed for its sporty cars and engineering expertise had lost its way in recent years. “This is the start of new direction for Honda,” he stressed. “We need a halo product.”
I'm hoping he changed his attitude towards his own company. He was responsible for cutting back the NSX/V10 project a few years ago. He has the ability to restart it all.

Ito, I pray that you ignore the bean-counter this time.
Old 11-29-11, 12:49 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think it's great if they do bring it back bit they should really be focusing a lot more attention month rest of their poor line up at Honda and acura right now
Old 11-29-11, 01:27 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The V6 kills it.

Exotic car is mainly about sounds and feels, doesn't matter how good they make the V6 feels, anything less then 8 cylinders is not going to cut it in an exotic car.

It was ok 20 years ago on the original NSX, now is not anymore
Old 11-29-11, 01:28 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think it's great if they do bring it back bit they should really be focusing a lot more attention month rest of their poor line up at Honda and acura right now
Poor is an understatement, is like wtf happened?
Old 11-29-11, 02:02 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
What is so "poor" about the current Honda/Acura line-up. To me the TL looks nice and just needs minor cosmetic changes to be better. It has sufficient power and amentiites. I would prolly make more powertrain choices with those cosmetics and the car would be nice.
The TSX seems fine.
The crossover is ugly but I don't care about anyone's truck type vehicles to even comment further.

The Honda stuff...can't complain there. Their cars are attractive, reliable and can be had with around 260 hp. Quite enough to pass slow pokes on the freeway. They make a coupe that has plenty of interior room for big guys and is attractive.

Obviously they need a sport car.

Not disagreeing with you, I just want to know your complaints.
Old 11-29-11, 03:23 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

What once made Honda a leader was their core philosophy that they would succeed through their own technology and innovation. I think that attitude has been lost without Soichiro's guidance.

The NSX was once a platform for innovation that filtered down to their other vehicles, much like the S Class is for Mercedes. At the time, the NSX ABS and traction control systems were state of the art. That's the true purpose of a flagship vehicle. Honda needs to get back to working on innovation, and the rest will take care of itself.

Oh yeah, and fire that US design team.

Last edited by pvmike1; 11-29-11 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-29-11, 03:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
What once made Honda a leader was their core philosophy that they would succeed through their own technology and innovation. I think that attitude has been lost without Soichiro's guidance.

The NSX was once a platform for innovation that filtered down to their other vehicles, much like the S Class is for Mercedes. At the time, the NSX ABS and traction control systems were state of the art. That's the true purpose of a flagship vehicle. Honda needs to get back to working on innovation, and the rest will take care of itself.

Oh yeah, and fire that US design team.
well said
Old 11-29-11, 04:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Honda needs this.
Old 11-30-11, 10:49 PM
tBayBoi20
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with meow 100 percent. im excited to see if this really makes it to production. it will def be added to my wish list!
Old 12-01-11, 01:25 AM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They need the HSV to be a hybrid and sell it, the thing is beautiful. The NSX on the last page was cool, but the fender gaps and fake roof scoop need to be addressed. Of course it's still a work in progress, so good for him. But please Honda, just bring the HSV that you canceled but now race in SuperGT to the road.
Old 12-01-11, 07:26 AM
LexFather

In the time they continue to talk, others continue to walk.

Not even worth talking about or commenting on.

Quick Reply: New NSX confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!