Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

New NSX confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 07:53 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
In the time they continue to talk, others continue to walk.

Not even worth talking about or commenting on.

But........you commented

I think Acura/Honda has pooped on themselves dramatically over the years by making announcements without the slightest hint of follow through.

However, it's a testament to the original NSX that there is still this much interest in a car that might never see the light of day.

If this new thing gets made and it looks similar to what has been seen in "The Avengers" movie photos, I think Acura can make another winner.

Making the RL exciting/desirable again is a far bigger challenge though
Old 12-01-11, 08:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Alucard
But........you commented

I think Acura/Honda has pooped on themselves dramatically over the years by making announcements without the slightest hint of follow through.

However, it's a testament to the original NSX that there is still this much interest in a car that might never see the light of day.

If this new thing gets made and it looks similar to what has been seen in "The Avengers" movie photos, I think Acura can make another winner.

Making the RL exciting/desirable again is a far bigger challenge though
There is no doubt the NSX was a "winner" in regards to what it offered and how it performed but outside the first couple of years it sold awfully and allegedly lost Honda over $800 million dollars. No one buys expensive Honda/Acuras. There isn't much of a business case for this and since they have no intention of elevating Acura while taking nearly all the sport out of Honda having an expensive Halo makes little sense.

The Avengers car is a mock up, a one-off. Probably Civic based. Did anyone see the rear tires, they look like 185 series in width. Its just another to get the dwindling fanboi base they have hyper considering they have lost droves to suicide and other brands.

What Honda/Acura management doesn't seem to understand is we are not stuck in 1995. We are in 2012 next month and the automotive universe continued to forge ahead with them stuck in neutral or reverse.

Old 12-01-11, 09:36 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

In the time they continue to talk, others continue to walk.

Not even worth talking about or commenting on.
So true, wake me up when is for sale.
Old 12-01-11, 09:43 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh man, you hate everything non Toyota don't you?!

There is no doubt the NSX was a "winner" in regards to what it offered and how it performed but outside the first couple of years it sold awfully and allegedly lost Honda over $800 million dollars. No one buys expensive Honda/Acuras. There isn't much of a business case for this and since they have no intention of elevating Acura while taking nearly all the sport out of Honda having an expensive Halo makes little sense.
100% agreed.

It is fun to have though, the OG NSX was amazing for what it is.

The Avengers car is a mock up, a one-off. Probably Civic based. Did anyone see the rear tires, they look like 185 series in width.
It is a one-off mock up movie car for sure, but the rear tires look at least as wide as the stock 245 on my SC430. 245 would make sense on the new NSX cause it won't have much power and certainly not much torque.

Its just another to get the dwindling fanboi base they have hyper considering they have lost droves to suicide and other brands.
man you are a hater!

What Honda/Acura management doesn't seem to understand is we are not stuck in 1995. We are in 2012 next month and the automotive universe continued to forge ahead with them stuck in neutral or reverse.
That's how I feel too, but I think they are stuck in 2002 at best, still a long time though. Their last truely good product was the 1999 S2000.
Old 12-01-11, 10:15 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Sounds like its going to end up being a RSX
Old 12-05-11, 08:08 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

from around the water cooler:

Factory 2013 NSX info sent to dealers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My General Manager has just come back from A dealer meeting in LAS VEGAS. Acura has anounced several changes in the model line up with 2 new hybrids. A RL hybrid and CSX replacement also having a Hybrid replacement.
The big news at the meeting is the 2013 NSX. I was told that it looks great. it will be powered by a 3.7 V6 putting out 450HP. SHAWD. Front Mid engine. Hybrid power with two motors. All aluminium and lightweight. very limted numbers. 4-5 to each dealer. Should make NSX and Acura owners happy again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry guys, I forgot to mention price - $144k and very ltd numbers. Yes i was told it was to look like the iron man version. They brought out a prototype and unwrapped the cover over it. No cell phones or cameras were allowed. My General Manager said it was beautiful. He was also the first person i know that told me the ZDX is ugly before it was released!
Old 12-05-11, 08:11 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pvmike1
What once made Honda a leader was their core philosophy that they would succeed through their own technology and innovation. I think that attitude has been lost without Soichiro's guidance.

The NSX was once a platform for innovation that filtered down to their other vehicles, much like the S Class is for Mercedes. At the time, the NSX ABS and traction control systems were state of the art. That's the true purpose of a flagship vehicle. Honda needs to get back to working on innovation, and the rest will take care of itself.

Oh yeah, and fire that US design team.

By far the Truest statement ever!!!!
Old 12-05-11, 08:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
from around the water cooler:
Hey what do you know, another V6

It won't hold a candle to the LFA's power, but at least it's unconventional in a way.
Old 12-06-11, 09:33 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

These types of threads always kill me.

If and when Honda/Acura decide to actually build a new halo supercar, chances are that it will never live up to expectations. And most likely through no fault of their own.

Why, you ask?

Well first of all, everyone wants to compare it to the original NSX. Here is a reality check though - we live in a different era then when the original was first produced. Corporate concerns have changed, safety regulations have changed, environmental concerns have changed, technology has changed, and most importantly, consumer demands have changed.

This is exactly the same scenario as the CRX-CRZ debate. The purists wanted the same, lightweight, quick handling, fun to drive, fuel sipping econobox that was the original. But the original was built to the market and standards of the 1980's. The CRZ was designed and built to meet todays market and standards. Had their been no original CRX, we might well be applauding the CRZ today for what it is. Same will happen to a new NSX, regardless of how good it may be.

Secondly, everyone will expect it to be an LFA/Ferrari/Lambo alternative. Again, the original never was. The original NSX was still a 'poor mans' supercar in it's time. Was it pricey, maybe a little, but it wasn't in the same range as the true exotics of the day. More akin to the modern Lotus Elise than an LFA. An enthusiast, on a relatively moderate income, could own one without completely sacrificing his children's college education.

Sure, it was a technical tour de force, but it didn't require a high revving v12, massive horesepower, a 200mph top sped, or a supercar pedigree to become the icon it is today. It was engineered to be more than the sum of it's parts. It succeeded on innovation and engineering, not excess.

I say to Honda, build it. Look to the future of where "affordable" supercars is headed like you did with the original. Give it a mid-mounted, hybrid powerplant. Make it lightweight and nimble without sacrificing safety and amenities. Focus on lap-times instead of all out power. Go all-wheel drive if you must. Innovate. And most importantly, keep it under $100k so it is still within the reach of a relatively moderate income. Make the automotive world, once again, stand up and say "wow, we didn't see that coming". Be the 'David' to the supercar 'Goliaths'.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by jaseman; 12-06-11 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 10:14 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

^ Maybe they shouldn't go around calling it "the next NSX" then? I dunno, just a thought.....
Old 12-06-11, 10:35 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MR_F1
^ Maybe they shouldn't go around calling it "the next NSX" then? I dunno, just a thought.....
I agree. If the "next NSX" has nothing in common with the original NSX concept except the relatively high price, call it something else and don't taint the NSX name with something it isn't.

They named the "new CR-X" the CR-Z so maybe they can call the "new NSX" the NSZ? OMG I should go register hondansz.com right now!!

Last edited by ydooby; 12-06-11 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 11:40 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jaseman
This is exactly the same scenario as the CRX-CRZ debate. The purists wanted the same, lightweight, quick handling, fun to drive, fuel sipping econobox that was the original. But the original was built to the market and standards of the 1980's. The CRZ was designed and built to meet todays market and standards. Had their been no original CRX, we might well be applauding the CRZ today for what it is. Same will happen to a new NSX, regardless of how good it may be.
No, this is just wrong. Honda engendered the CR-X vs CR-Z comparisons by naming, styling, and marketing the CR-Z as though it were a successor to the CR-X. No one else did that for Honda, and enthusiasts rightly saw through the BS. Had Honda called the CR-Z the "Insight Coupe Hybrid Sport" or whatever, not linked it to the CR-X, and instead positioned it as a sportier mold of hybrid technology, the discussion would be entirely different.

There is no question that today's auto manufacturers have an uphill battle due to all the governmental regulations heaped upon them. Safety features are heavy and space-consuming and make it incredibly difficult to make sporty cars (I think Honda mentioned the CR-Z front styling was in large part to satisfy EU pedestrian safety regulations), and environmental regulations are just plain ridiculous, period. However, these are not excuses for Honda choosing to market the the CR-Z as it did, nor for the CR-Z itself. It's a car with bad handling, anemic power-to-weight ratio, and awful steering feel.

As MR_F1 points out, Honda has no one to blame but themselves. They created these comparisons because they can only live in history. But in trying to grasp at ghosts long past in an attempt to link their current uninspired product offerings, they only wind up demeaning their legendary creations in a failed attempt to mask their current problems of lack of focus, direction, and innovation in performance engineering.

If they are really trying to come to market with a $150,000 sporty V6 hybrid, the idiots currently running Honda need to take a big step back from the table and really think about how they want to market their new unicorn - otherwise they'll risk another dud that's as insulting to the NSX legacy as the CR-Z is to the CR-X.
Old 12-29-11, 08:56 AM
Motor
Lexus Champion

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/repo...ion-97469.html
New Acura NSX to Have 400 HP, Roadster Version
Acura already confirmed that a concept version of the next NSX supercar would bow at the Detroit auto show, but now a report from Auto Express reveals two other key details on the new car. The new NSX will reportedly produce close to 400 hp, and will be offered in roadster form alongside the already-previewed coupe.

As we reported earlier this month, the resurrected Acura NSX bows in concept form at the 2012 Detroit show before going on sale in 2014. Serving as a technological halo car for the brand, the new NSX will feature a new hybrid SH-AWD drivetrain. A gasoline engine will drive the rear axle through a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission, while twin electric motors will propel the front wheels.

Acura has not yet revealed any performance specifications for the new car, but AE suggests the hybrid drivetrain will produce at least 400 hp, managing the 0-to-62-mph sprint in less than five seconds. The publication also suggests the NSX’s gasoline engine will be a 3.5-liter V-6.

As to design, the NSX concept stays close to the styling seen on a prop car developed for action film The Avengers. Whereas the movie mock-up is a coupe, the Detroit-bound NSX concept will be an aggressive, angular coupe with wide rear haunches and Acura’s signature triangular front grille. However, AE reports that Acura also will develop a roadster version of the car for series production. If so, the topless NSX might debut some time after the coupe goes on sale.

As was the case with the original NSX, the supercar will be badged as a Honda outside the U.S., but an Acura on our shores.
Old 12-29-11, 11:46 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

400 hp, 0-60 in less than 5 seconds?

A base Ford Mustang GT can do that now...
Old 12-29-11, 11:51 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
400 hp, 0-60 in less than 5 seconds?

A base Ford Mustang GT can do that now...
Let's not judge a sports car by its straight-line performance again. The old NSX could hang with cars of much higher horsepower with ease on a track so I expect the new NSX to be able to do the same feat. That said, with that kind of specs the new NSX definitely has no business in being called a "supercar" as that article suggests.

Last edited by ydooby; 12-29-11 at 11:56 AM.

Quick Reply: New NSX confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!