Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

QUICK question about speeding

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 07:24 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUICK question about speeding

Sorry if this is in wrong section or already has been answered. I want to inform someone quickly.

If your going lets say 140+ or at a really high speed on the freeway, do cops try to pull you over still? or will they ignore you? Not saying I will try this, just trying to answer someone's question that I can't answer myself. Thx
Old 10-14-11, 07:30 AM
svagusta
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha. Tell your friend to stop watching Tokyo Drift. They will definitely come after you!
Old 10-14-11, 07:40 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

lmao. Okay haha. Thx!
Old 10-14-11, 08:08 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 171 Likes on 130 Posts

when they stop you doing that speed,they are not too nice when removing you from your car.
Old 10-14-11, 08:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

why not? i am sure they will try and radio ahead too
Old 10-14-11, 08:58 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

okay another question, can a cop arrest you and actually put you in jail for speeding over the posted speed limit by 30mph?
Old 10-14-11, 09:06 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BigBang
Sorry if this is in wrong section or already has been answered. I want to inform someone quickly.

If your going lets say 140+ or at a really high speed on the freeway, do cops try to pull you over still? or will they ignore you? Not saying I will try this, just trying to answer someone's question that I can't answer myself. Thx
Originally Posted by BigBang
okay another question, can a cop arrest you and actually put you in jail for speeding over the posted speed limit by 30mph?
Speeding is like gambling, lots of variables, time of day, weather conditions, time of month, police officers attitude, the area your in do you know it well, do you know the stretch your on.

With that said, when and if you get caught, doing 140+ be prepared for the worse, being arrested, car impounded

Be careful cause you can pay for stupid mistakes for a long time
Old 10-14-11, 09:21 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

okay i need a comeback for this

Trí Nguyễn: Also FYI, I think the cop can arrest you if you drive more than 30mile/hr above the posted speed limit

Me: It really depends on the cop. But usually they will pull you over 10-15 over speed limit.

Trí Nguyễn: Wasn't talking about pull over nor fine. The cop can arrest you as in put you in jail when you drive more than 30mph over.

Me: Technically they can't arrest you until they pull you over. They go hand in hand.

Trí Nguyễn: I was ignoring the part that you get pull over and fine. It's obvious that they can pull you over at any speed above the speed limit. Certain part here in Sugar Land they pull you over just 1 or 2 miles above the posted limit. You are right, it depends on the cop. I don't disagree with that. All I mentioned was the possibility of getting arrest on the spot when you drive 30mph above the speed limit in addition to a ticket. I wasn't saying you get arrest but not pull over, if that was hard to figure out for your common sense.

It's obvious that i stated something obvious because of what he said. I apologize for his english he's a fob -.- not sure what to say back to him because i don't understand this guy.

telling me i have no common sense? when he stated something that was obvious? and i was taunting him with another obvious. what should i say guys? D: need a comeback that he probably doesn't understand lol.
Old 10-14-11, 09:21 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

My dad always used to tell me, "You can maybe outrun a police car, but you can not outrun a radio."

If you do this, you're not getting away. This isn't a movie. You don't just go home afterwards and forget about it. The consequences will come back to bite you.

I'm pretty sure if you exceed 20 or 25 mph over the posted limit, they can take your car, your license, and arrest you.
Old 10-14-11, 09:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

In many states, driving more than 20 MPH over the posted limit is considered reckless driving....an additional charge. In my state (VA), anything over 80 MPH is also reckless-driving, regardless of the posted-limit.

BigBang
In some states, definitely....but, of course, some of it is up to the driving-conditions at the time, and the discretion of the police-officer involved.

But, if you're doing 140 MPH on any public-road in the U.S. (and get caught, if you don't die or kill someone else first), you can pretty-much prepare to use your "Cell" phone.

Old 10-14-11, 09:24 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Also, is your friend old enough to drive? From his stupid question, I'm going to assume he's 14.
Old 10-14-11, 09:26 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

He's not my friend, just some vietnamese guy over fb that i don't even know. says he goes to university of houston like me so he's in college.
Old 10-14-11, 11:12 AM
Koma

Forum Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this depends highly on local laws of whether the infractions are a jailable offense.

If I was a cop and I saw someone zooming at me at 140 MPH I'd radio it in ahead first and then give chase. Just because you drive by them at 140 doesn't mean they don't already see you coming at them at that speed.
Old 10-14-11, 11:26 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cop cars + radios + helicopters = Your ******ed
Old 10-14-11, 12:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They may not chase you at 140mph, but they will call back up units to intercept you, or even a helicopter. Basically if you zoom by a cop at 140mph, you better pull the hell over before he even has a chance to turn on his sirens. Because the harder you make it for him to pull you over, the harder you're gonna get butt raped in the jail cell

Quick Reply: QUICK question about speeding