Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Motortrends: Cars That Catch Girls' Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-11, 12:06 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Motortrends: Cars That Catch Girls' Eyes

Warning some picks may cause laughter

Cars That Catch Girls' Eyes

By Karla Sanchez

The auto industry is a man's world, one in which office chitchat is a constant, spirited discussion of cars, cars, some sports, and more cars, and Motor Trend would be no different -- except that there is a handful of women on staff as well. Since not all vehicles that excite our male colleagues have the same effect on us, I polled my fellow females and compiled a list of the vehicles we find strikingly sexy, ranging from real-world practical cars to fantasy rides. While in the end, the guy behind the wheel is what ultimately attracts us, driving the right piece of hot metal definitely makes a guy even hotter.

REAL-WORLD PRACTICAL

Toyota Tacoma

Not too big, and not too small, the second-generation Tacoma is just the right size, according to associate online editor Karla Sanchez. "It's lean, cut, and muscular in all the right places, with a wide stance, large fender bulges, and upsized wheels and tires, and the sweeping headlamps give it a handsome look. The cabin is comfortable and roomy -- perfect for some alone time."

Truck Trend executive editor Allyson Harwood also appreciates the Taco. "I love the Tacoma! A PreRunner Access Cab, maybe with some TRD goodies."

Available in several configurations, the Tacoma suits any type of guy, with three cab sizes, two bed lengths, and an abundance of performance packages. The 159-hp, 2.7-liter, I-4 base model starts at $17,565, but bumping up to a PreRunner or 4x4 gives you a 4.0-liter V-6 with a hefty 236 hp. "The X-Runner however, won't make me look twice," says Sanchez. "Trucks aren't made to slow down over speed bumps."

MT Take: "The Toyota pickup was one of the first small trucks (next to the Datsun 1200 pickup) sold in the U.S. and helped popularize that segment in a country accustomed to full-size trucks. Now the new Tacoma keeps the brand's reputation for durability and long-lasting quality, while expanding the model matrix to a wider audience. The new truck proves there is no penalty for buying a reasonably sized, more fuel-efficient truck, especially significant in this time of rising fuel prices. We call that a superior combination and worthy of the mantle of 2005 Motor Trend Truck of the Year."

___

Land Rover Defender 90

Harwood also chose the iconic Land Rover Defender 90. She thinks it's highly capable, very cool, and uncommon. "It shows that the guy likes driving something that's unique -- he isn't afraid to be different."

Land Rover has designed a modern reinterpretation of the iconic four-wheeler. The official concept debuted at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, and seemed to retain some hallmarks of the beloved Defender 90, including its boxy profile, stubby wheelbase, and exposed spare tire.

MT Take: "Since its emergence nearly 60 years ago, the original Land Rover has carved a heroic path through some of the world's remotest regions, and at one time, for 60 percent of the planet's population, a Land Rover was the first motorized vehicle they had seen."

---

Stock classic SUVs

"I'm talking about those vehicles before the SUV term existed--such as a CJ, FJ40, Land Rover Series I, II, or III, Bronco, or Scout," says Harwood. "If it's running, that means that their owner is willing to put in the work, and they've probably done the research and are a fan of the coolest 'utes out there. Why is this my fantasy pick? Because finding a stock classic SUV is very rare."

---

Chevrolet Tahoe

"Nothing is sexier than seeing a man who can handle a hunky, full-size SUV," says associate online editor Carol Ngo. "It makes him look manlier." Starting around $37,980, the brawny Tahoe defines masculinity with its utility and versatility. In prince-like fashion, the Tahoe stands ready to save the day. It has an impressive towing capacity of up to 7000 pounds, thanks to a 320-hp, 5.3-liter V-8. Although it roars ruggedly, road and engine noise are muted in the cabin, making it easier to hear all the sweet nothings your guy is whispering in your ear.

MT Take: "So it's encouraging that GM can create a vehicle line that moves to the head of its class right out of the gate instead of just blending in with existing offerings, only to be trumped when the other team comes out with something newer. Has GM hit a gusher? Too soon to say. But the Tahoe is exactly what GM needed -- a bigger, stronger, safer, more fuel-efficient sport/utility with a decent interior -- finally."

---

Honda Accord Coupe

It's no wonder the Accord is one of the best-selling vehicles in the United States. Associate online editor Sheree Yang likes that it's reliable, sleek, and cost-efficient. The coupe variant proves the guy behind the wheel is practical and stable, but still likes to have a little fun, especially if he upgrades to the 271-hp, 3.5-liter V-6. This sporty coupe packs a punch, but does it ever so modestly.

MT Take: "The 2008 Honda Accord Coupe is a now bona-fide sport coupe, with the specs to back it up: control-arm front suspension, six-speed manual transmission, and a 268-horsepower V-6 engine capable of churning up lung-searing clouds of tire smoke in seconds. Does it matter that it's the front wheels that are smoking and that it holds five passengers? Nope. Honda's latest coupe is the real deal, no longer a pretender to the cone."

---

European Cars

"In truth, I can't just pick one vehicle," says Melissa Spiering, online editor of Truck Trend. "European cars with personality catch my eye on the road more than anything. It can be a beat-up 1980s Volvo 240 wagon, the Laguna Seca Blue BMW E46 M3, the round hips of a Porsche 930, the practicality and luxury of the Audi A4 Avant, or just the fun-to-drive MK4 VW GTI. Well-rounded vehicles tend to have well-rounded owners."

---

Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD

My ideal guy -- my husband -- is low-key and practical," says copy chief Emiliana Sandoval. "He likes to spend his weekends fishing and camping, or tailgating. He's always owned Fords because his dad worked there. But Motor Trend's 2008 SUV of the Year would be a nice step up from his current (old) Escape. It's got plenty of room for all his gear, and available AWD. It has nice lines, it isn't gigantic, and its 3.7-liter V-6 is Ford-based.

MT Take: "The qualities that made the CX-9 our SUOTY in 2008 -- smart interior packaging, and actually delivering the "sport" part of SUV, to name a few -- haven't been diminished one bit by time. The CX-9 still delivers an eye-pleasing interior with comfortable trimmings and generous interior space. Drivers will appreciate the well-bolstered seat, which provides ample view of the road (and corners) ahead, pedals that always fall right where you expect, a push-to-downshift, pull-to-upshift manumatic mode, and genuinely fun driving dynamics."

---

Ram HD 2500 Laramie

"I for one love the meathead-guy pickups," says copy editor Jackie Manfredi. "My favorite is the Ram Heavy Duty 2500 that we had here as a long-termer. I drove it only a few times. It's too big for me, but it's totally a guy's truck. And, yes, I generally check out the driver whenever I see one on the road. As singer Alan Jackson says, 'I met all my wives in traffic jams. You know, there's somethin' women love about a pickup man.'"

And this isn't just any pickup. This heavy hauler's 6.7-liter, 350-hp Cummins turbodiesel engine and bulky build is the essence of machismo.

MT Take: "The combination of sheer capability and refinement is a big part of why the Ram won Truck of the Year honors for 2010, and the long-termer Ram Truck sent us reflects the best of both of those worlds."

---

Subaru Outback

Photography editor Julia LaPalme says, "The price, cargo capacity, and EPA numbers show a guy is practical and financially sensible; the AWD indicates he's most likely outdoorsy, or at least up for a little adventure."

With four and six-cylinder offerings, this sleek rig is up for all kinds of adventures. The 2.5-liter boxer four can be paired with either a CVT or a new six-speed manual, and with the CVT, it has an impressive 22/29 city/highway EPA mpg.

MT Take: "For the first time since any of us can recall, an automaker has claimed the Motor Trend Sport/Utility of the Year title two years in a row. Last fall, deftly balancing efficiency and size, the all-new 2009 Subaru Forester went home with the Golden Calipers trophy. For 2010, fighting off several tough adversaries -- and undoubtedly some unspoken but very real bias among our judges against repeat winners -- Subaru's new, fourth-generation Outback scored a decisive 10-1 victory in the final voting."

---

FANTASY

Audi R8 GT

"It's rude to stare, but with the R8, I just can't help myself," says Sanchez. "This is the perfect gentleman's car, and it exudes pure seduction. The R8 is as sexy as an expertly tailored men's suit that shows off a chiseled male physique. With a 5.2-liter V-10, it's not just a pretty face. The more exclusive 5.2 GT churns out a thrilling 560 hp, and can sprint from 0-60 in 3.5 seconds -- just enough time to steal my heart."

MT Take: "The power is mesmerizing, and on-ramps blow by in an orchestral blur of sound and fury. Sitting low in the R8 gives you the sensation of being down in the car, not on top of it. You never feel like you are being pulled out of the seat by your shoulders, but more like you're checking your hip in the side of the car. The R8 rolls around you, not under you. Audi managed to capture the feeling of sitting down in the tub of a Le Mans race car. You really can trick yourself into thinking you're charging out of the last corner on the last lap to take the checkered flag, when in reality you are just heading to the store for milk. It's all about the experience."

---

Classic Cars

Also on LaPalme's list are 1950s Corvettes, Porsches, Jaguars, or Mercedes (particularly the Gullwing). "To me, this symbolizes not only an appreciation for history, but for classic beauty and styling," she says. "It also signifies that he's dedicated to the care and maintenance that a classic vehicle requires to keep it reliable as a daily driver, or that he has other vehicles in the garage to serve that purpose. That shows commitment, which is undoubtedly an attractive quality."

---

Lexus LFA

"The LFA is rare, great-looking and great-sounding," says Manfredi. A product 10 years in the making, the LFA is a truly a work of art. Toyota took its time perfecting this racer: A sketch was unveiled in 2000, and then it appeared in the flesh as a teaser car at the 2005 Detroit show. Two years later came a revised concept. Finally, the 2012 beast was finally unleashed. Priced at a shocking $400,000, this supercar is sure to have women and men alike gawking.

MT Take: "First impression: The LFA rides hard. Really hard. No variable shocks; the chassis is chef's choice only. On smoother stretches of autobahn, the stiffness is largely irrelevant, but it's not hard to imagine the LFA growing tiresome during extended drives on brittle roads. The V-10 is scintillating: It pulls hard, flaunts seemingly hidden torque (that light package), and propels the car ferociously (Toyota claims a 0-to-60 of 3.7 seconds and a top end of 204 mph). At 6000 rpm it's just screaming away -- with 3000 rpm left!"

---

Porsche Cayman S

"I love, love, love the Porsche Cayman S, manual, preferably in Atlas Gray Metallic with the 19-inch Carrera Classic wheels. It has 320 hp, 273 lb-ft, and a 171-mph top track speed. In my dream, he'd hand me the keys any time I wanted - which would be all the time," says Sandoval.

Good luck. The driver of this car would want to keep those keys all to himself to enjoy the Cayman's 0-60 average of 4.5 seconds, thanks in part to its direct-injected 3.4-liter engine.

MT Take: "The risk Porsche engineers have taken all along with the Cayman is that, sooner or later, they'd dial its performance up so high its natural advantage in mid-engine balance and trimmer-scale would finally propel it into outshining the iconic 911 Carrera. Personally, I think that moment has arrived. Lithe on the road, fluidly seductive in appearance, and positively alive in your hands: It's now, in my humble opinion, very simply the best sports car in the world."

---

Porsche 911 GT3 RS

Ngo says, "There's only one word to describe this: Sexy! Seeing a man in a high-performance sports car makes my knees weak and my heart swoon!"

That's not to mention its alluring backside. The 3.8-liter flat-six that hangs over the rear axle blasts the RS to a top speed of 193 mph, and its lap time of 23.4 seconds resulted in one of the top 10 best times MT has ever recorded, bundled with the Corvette Z1R and Nissan GT-R.

MT Take: "Your dad warned you about this Porsche. Don't let its red lipstick and wide hips persuade you, he said, because the only thing that follows that car is trouble. Speeding tickets, too. But you can't help yourself. That roof-high wing perched on aluminum struts, those foot-wide rear tires, and those red wheels (red wheels!) keep piquing your interest."

---

Range Rover HSE

Yang thinks this luxurious SUV shows off a well-established man with fine taste. "It's not too masculine and it's well-equipped for a family outing or a night on the town for two."

But the lavish SUV can also get a little dirty, thanks in part to the Terrain Response upgrades. Sand launch control and Rock Crawl mode will allow this admirable family man to take the kids into the mountains for a weekend of camping.

MT Take: "The new Range Rover continues the vehicle's heritage of off-road prowess and ritzy cabin, and while pricing has not yet been announced, you know it won't be cheap. However, you can expect it won't be too much more expensive than the outgoing model and, as good as it was, now has a lot more to offer than it ever has before."

http://www.motortrend.com/features/m...s/viewall.html
Old 10-23-11, 01:05 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The only cars that seems to catch my female friends' eyes seem to be the BMW X5, and cars with very bright, noticeable lights (audi). Otherwise they can barely differentiate between car brands haha.
Old 10-23-11, 02:10 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edgeucated
The only cars that seems to catch my female friends' eyes seem to be the BMW X5, and cars with very bright, noticeable lights (audi). Otherwise they can barely differentiate between car brands haha.
Ditto and add the G37 to the list, they thing its God's gift to the world.
Old 10-23-11, 02:32 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

My best friend has a Range Rover Westminister, and she loves that ride. She and my sister are both into the R8, however. Personally, a woman in a Toyota Tacoma is hot in my book.
Old 10-23-11, 02:35 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why isnt a ISx50 on the list?
Old 10-23-11, 04:34 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow, I sold my Subaru Outback and bought a Prius. I'm doomed.
Old 10-23-11, 06:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Cause it's a chick car, not a panty dropper.
Old 10-23-11, 06:37 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 362 Posts

A big Hello Kitty sticker will def show and indicate a different side of male drivers. Apply on the doors or hood. Nice touches would be the license frame, seat belt, seat covers and steering wheel covers. For that ultimate commitment a matching tattoo on the should that can be easily seen while driving sleeveless. Wha-hahaha...
Old 10-23-11, 09:20 PM
Dee8
Driver

REAL-WORLD PRACTICAL
Toyota Tacoma
Land Rover Defender 90
Stock classic SUVs
Chevrolet Tahoe
Honda Accord Coupe
European Cars
Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD
Ram HD 2500 Laramie
Subaru Outback
All lies. Except maybe the European cars, but that's too broad and not all will catch my eye.

I accept the list for fantasy cars except the Range Rover HSE. I have no idea why that would even be on the list!

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Originally Posted by EZZ
Cause it's a chick car, not a panty dropper.
No, not a panty dropper, but will make me drool a little
Old 10-23-11, 10:05 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

nice list! the wifey picked out our 11 taco double cab. it has sanrio stickers and a hello kitty antenna topper head till we lost it

a good friend of mine also loved the range rover
Old 10-23-11, 11:13 PM
LexusMan77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Wow, I sold my Subaru Outback and bought a Prius. I'm doomed.
You got a chick repellent instead.
Old 10-23-11, 11:47 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusMan77
You got a chick repellent instead.
LOL!

My e46 m3 always get stares from the ladies but that's not the reason why I bought it .

Most women I asked seem to be more interested in luxury cars or SUVs. Most of the time it's the european cars that gets their attention.
Old 10-23-11, 11:51 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm actually amused that they put the e46 M3 CSL. For one thing, most people have no idea why the trunk is like that unless you're actually an enthusiast. Despite that, I'll agree to it since it is my favorite generation other than the E30
Old 10-24-11, 04:45 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RA40
A big Hello Kitty sticker will def show and indicate a different side of male drivers. Apply on the doors or hood. Nice touches would be the license frame, seat belt, seat covers and steering wheel covers. For that ultimate commitment a matching tattoo on the should that can be easily seen while driving sleeveless. Wha-hahaha...
Hehe yup

Old 10-24-11, 10:31 AM
mypinkIS
Driver

what about the Fisker Karma... now here's a car that completely blew my mind away! so sexy!

http://autopartcar.com/2010-fisker-karma/