Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-14, 10:44 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Yep, its definitely about screen placement. By using a controller, they can move the screen up and away, which is in your line of sight with the road.

The only reason why the GX and LX continue to have a touch screen is because there is no room for the controller until they figure out where to move the off road/4 wheel lock buttons. Im pretty sure a column mounted shifter is in the works for lexus, its the only way to make room for RT, cup holders, and various buttons
Old 03-01-14, 04:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I suspect it's about screen location. Remote Touch is likely more expensive than a touchscreen. Since the GX nav screen is within reach, they left it a touchscreen. Without a full dash redesign, RT wouldn't really buy them anything. However, on the RX, IS, GS, and LS, etc., the RT has allowed them to place the screen further away, really opening up the options on dash design, and allowing the screen to be placed closer to the forward line of vision.
Yes, RT has allowed several things other than just line of sight. Reduced sunglare (exception CT), no finger prints, ergonomically made (your hand naturally rests where the RT is), and yes dash design. Notice the old "Lexus Tombstone" is going away, and the IS, ES, GS, LS, RX, CT, RC and LFA are all going towards recessed dashes and horizontal layers.
Old 03-02-14, 01:11 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

#FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS

Anyways, in my humble opinion, there are various pros and cons between remote controllers and touch screens.

However, I personally believe that there is NO WRONG APPROACH either way.

And as for, as long as I have A SCREEN, then that's all I need

Old 03-02-14, 12:46 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Blackraven
#FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS

Anyways, in my humble opinion, there are various pros and cons between remote controllers and touch screens.

amen to that
Old 03-03-14, 03:58 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Apple announces CarPlay: in-vehicle voice and touch access to notifications, maps and music
BY MAT SMITH @THATMATSMITH MARCH 3RD, 2014 AT 2:14AM ET

Apple has officially announced CarPlay, its new in-car interface that'll be compatible with new Ferrari, Mercedes and Volvo cars unveiled at the Geneva Auto Show this week. Designed "from the ground up" to bridge the gap between your iPhone and your auto, it will offer touch and Siri-based voice navigation of your smartphone services, including contacts, voicemail, notifications, map directions and music cueing -- it will even support third-party apps like Spotify and iHeartRadio from launch. Voice controls will be activated by a button on the steering wheel, while the in-car touchscreen is populated with those familiar iOS 7 icons for easy access. The service will launch as an iOS update for Lightning-enabled iPhones (that's iPhone 5 and up), with CarPlay-compatible vehicles launching later this year. And if any of the above aren't your preferred automaker, Apple says that you can expect compatible cars from BMW, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Toyota and several more in the near future.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/03/a...ers-access-to/
Attached Thumbnails Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO-car.jpg  
Old 03-03-14, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
#FIRSTWORLDPROBLEMS

so well said
Old 03-03-14, 11:21 AM
Hoovey689

CarPlay looks great
Old 03-05-14, 03:52 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now, that's what I want.
Old 07-01-14, 07:22 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

How Google and Apple Plan to Invade Your Next Car

http://time.com/2941556/apple-carplay-android-auto/

Android Auto: First Look (Hyundai, Honda, Chevy, Audi)

Old 01-11-15, 11:56 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

glad to see that Lexus has introduced this new Touchpad! this seems like a nice compromise!

2015 Lexus NX RTI Touchpad

i wonder how long it will take to appear in ALL models?
Old 01-11-15, 01:12 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Gekko
glad to see that Lexus has introduced this new Touchpad! this seems like a nice compromise!

2015 Lexus NX RTI Touchpad

2015 Lexus NX RTI Touchpad - YouTube

i wonder how long it will take to appear in ALL models?
It won't. The Legacy models like the RX for example will continue with the mouse. 2016 GS also used a third version of the mouse with the re-introduction of the 'ENTER' button on the side.
Old 01-11-15, 01:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Having some experience with the new gen Genesis by Hyundai. I have to say the combinatiion of touch screen and the mouse is the way to go IMO. I wish Lexus would consider it.
Old 01-11-15, 01:57 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Having some experience with the new gen Genesis by Hyundai. I have to say the combinatiion of touch screen and the mouse is the way to go IMO. I wish Lexus would consider it.
Are they dual purpose or dedicated to certain features requiring the use of both?
Old 01-11-15, 02:12 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
It won't. The Legacy models like the RX for example will continue with the mouse. 2016 GS also used a third version of the mouse with the re-introduction of the 'ENTER' button on the side.
really? how do you know this? link? my guess is that within 3-5 years all models will use the new RTI Touchpad. i say this because i would think that Lexus would want a uniform consistent technology for both customer experience as well as component/production/R&D/sales & marketing simplicity. however within 5 years they might also have a new leading edge tech that'll they introduce with one vehicle and start the cycle all over again. perhaps by then it would be Apple and/or Google based?

but seriously - isn't that what they do? introduce a new tech to one vehicle than slowly roll it out to all over the next few years? that's what they did with the OG Remote Touch.

my target for a new car buy is around 2018. maybe an ES, GS, RX, or NX. and i despise the OG Remote Touch so i hope it's gone by then.

Last edited by Gekko; 01-11-15 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-11-15, 02:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Are they dual purpose or dedicated to certain features requiring the use of both?
Almost every feature is dual purpose except some of the super deep vehicle custom features that you would never really change all that often.

After using the Genesis system, I think this is the best set up IMO.

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO