Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-15, 03:04 PM
RXSF

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

So the new RTI touch pad doesn't have hand writing recognition right?
Old 01-11-15, 04:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
really? how do you know this? link? my guess is that within 3-5 years all models will use the new RTI Touchpad. i say this because i would think that Lexus would want a uniform consistent technology for both customer experience as well as component/production/R&D/sales & marketing simplicity. however within 5 years they might also have a new leading edge tech that'll they introduce with one vehicle and start the cycle all over again. perhaps by then it would be Apple and/or Google based?

but seriously - isn't that what they do? introduce a new tech to one vehicle than slowly roll it out to all over the next few years? that's what they did with the OG Remote Touch.

my target for a new car buy is around 2018. maybe an ES, GS, RX, or NX. and i despise the OG Remote Touch so i hope it's gone by then.
Just passing along information I've gathered from Lexus corporate and reporting in the Future of Lexus thread. Anything is subject to change, however if it was the case then RTI would be introduced on 4RX which as reported is a Legacy model and therefore will not get the touchpad. Guess we'll find out tomorrow in Detroit. Would love to see CarPlay soon.

Perhaps but not everything is uniform, the bigger SUVs for example likely will use touchscreen unless the dash is redesigned. 2016 GS with it's revised (3rd) version of RT bucks the trend too. So no consistency or commitment with 4 different RT interfaces currently on Lexus models.

So hard to fathom 2018 models when so much can happen in three years however it's safe to say we'll see new models, new powertrains and new trims and tech by then

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Almost every feature is dual purpose except some of the super deep vehicle custom features that you would never really change all that often.

After using the Genesis system, I think this is the best set up IMO.
Glad to hear
Old 01-11-15, 06:18 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

mazda got it right.

They have a capacitive touch screen up top. Works as good as your phone, presumably.

with the lexus, scrolling from screen to screen has a stuttering effect, like there's only a 10mhz processor in there.
Old 01-11-15, 07:19 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Just passing along information I've gathered from Lexus corporate and reporting in the Future of Lexus thread. Anything is subject to change, however if it was the case then RTI would be introduced on 4RX which as reported is a Legacy model and therefore will not get the touchpad.
Surprised to hear this. I expected the RTI touchpad to be the next gen for all new redesigned models, i,e, the 4RX. Like you said, we'll know for sure in Detroit hopefully this week.

At first I found the RTI touchpad finicky and harder to control in the NX than the physical **** in the RX, but once I disabled the haptic feedback, the touch control, precision, and feel is much better and ore natural.
Old 01-11-15, 07:33 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by pman6
mazda got it right.

They have a capacitive touch screen up top. Works as good as your phone, presumably.

with the lexus, scrolling from screen to screen has a stuttering effect, like there's only a 10mhz processor in there.
It's embarrassing how slow menus and scrolling can be on the Gen8 system. The lag is unacceptable in this day and age.

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Surprised to hear this. I expected the RTI touchpad to be the next gen for all new redesigned models, i,e, the 4RX. Like you said, we'll know for sure in Detroit hopefully this week.

At first I found the RTI touchpad finicky and harder to control in the NX than the physical **** in the RX, but once I disabled the haptic feedback, the touch control, precision, and feel is much better and ore natural.
Great point and oddly enough we do the opposite and stiffen the haptic feedback on the mouse otherwise it dodges around too much.
Old 01-11-15, 07:47 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Great point and oddly enough we do the opposite and stiffen the haptic feedback on the mouse otherwise it dodges around too much.
To be clear, on the RX with the physical ****, I had the haptic feedback to the max since like you, I found it dodged too much between selections. But opposite (none) on the touchpad on the NX.
Old 01-11-15, 07:49 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
To be clear, on the RX with the physical ****, I had the haptic feedback to the max but opposite (off) since like you, I found it dodged too much between selections. But to none on the touchpad on the NX.
Oh yes I meant to say RX in my response. You got it though
Old 02-15-15, 08:08 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Please, Apple--Anyone--Fix My ****** "Smart" Car
Kelsey Campbell-Dollaghan
Yesterday 6:00pm

In a prescient post from almost a year ago, the product designer Geoff Teehan took a look at the state on in-car UX. "Despite the growth and maturity of the design industry, I firmly believe that most automotive interfaces have actually gotten worse in recent years," Teehan wrote, listing the many reasons that UX in cars is particularly poor, from the exponential increase in functions in the dashboard to the stifling regulation carmakers must navigate.

http://gizmodo.com/please-apple-anyo...car-1685798044

Last edited by Allen K; 02-15-15 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Language
Old 02-16-15, 01:19 AM
Nights
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
So the new RTI touch pad doesn't have hand writing recognition right?
From what it suggests in the manual, it supports Japanese and Chinese hand written characters only.
Old 04-07-16, 06:39 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

did any of the new year Lexus models (refreshes or redesigns) get the new "RTI Touchpad" Navigation like the RC and NX? i was hoping all models would eventually transition over as i don't think it would be practical for Lexus to fork their navigation offering into the future.
Old 04-07-16, 07:30 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Gekko
did any of the new year Lexus models (refreshes or redesigns) get the new "RTI Touchpad" Navigation like the RC and NX? i was hoping all models would eventually transition over as i don't think it would be practical for Lexus to fork their navigation offering into the future.
Short answer no.

All current Lexus models utilize RT albeit revised with 'ENTER' buttons on the sides like the 2010-2012 models, also re-adding MAP on some (MENU and HOME temporarily replaced it), and a back arrow now.

The GX is the only touchscreen now, as the 2016 LX now uses RT.

RC and NX are the only two that use RTI, though the upcoming LC will also use it:

Old 04-08-16, 05:44 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

thanks for the info. i'm really hoping that Lexus brings the RTI Touchpad to all models soon.
Old 04-08-16, 06:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

can someone explain the difference between RT and RTI pads?
Old 04-08-16, 07:56 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can someone explain the difference between RT and RTI pads?
Remote Touch has the flat-topped joystick (available on all models except the NX), whereas Remote Touch Interface has a laptop computer-like touchpad (only available right now on the NX).

If RTI can read English alphanumeric characters written on the touchpad, that could really help entering addresses into the navigation system.
Old 04-08-16, 09:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,472 Likes on 1,623 Posts

thx. rc has the touchpad too.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 04-08-16 at 10:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO