Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-13, 12:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,361 Likes on 1,548 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
No they don't they suck to people stuck in the 1980s. Cars have moved on,
lol, perhaps you didn't actually read that article which completely disagrees.

excerpts:
A lot of disappointment out there...

[...]For instance, in J.D. Power and Associates' 2012 U.S. Navigation Usage and Research Study, 47 percent of vehicle owners polled indicated that they used a smartphone app for navigation in the vehicle, while 46 percent said that they either “definitely would not” or “probably would not” purchase another factory-installed nav system, if smartphone navigation were integrated.

[...]systems that could drive you bonkers.

[...]BMW iDrive
...iDrive still requires a steep learning curve

Mercedes-Benz COMAND
... “COMAND is the worst interface of the modern crew, but one of the easiest to actually use,

Lexus Remote Touch
... several of us see this system as one of the most frustrating of all,

[...]Audi MMI
...“half-brilliant, half-assed,” and much of our staff agrees.
Like anything else it takes time and experience and once you use it they are rather intuitive.
most people can get used to anything, but if they take time and experience to get used to they're by definition not intuitive. an ipad and iphone are intuitive as just about anyone can play with and use them.
Old 04-24-13, 01:43 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I find the remote touch in the 2010-2012 RX to be intuitive, easy to use and doesn't require me to lean forward out of my seat to push a touch screen. Whether it's long legs and short arms, my seat is all the way back. Having to lean forward to push buttons is contrary to my lazy way of resting my arm on the rest and having my hand on the remote touch.

Between the remote touch and the controls on the steering wheel, just about the only time I touch the dash is to start/stop the car and change the temperature. If that were on the climate menu of the navigation screen accessible with the remote touch, it would be very rare for me to touch the dashboard.

The graphics on the 2013 RX are a small step forward, as I find the graphics to be archaic and in need of a serious review by some forward thinking Lexus engineer.

While I have an iPhone and an iPad, I don't believe I would want one mounted in or on the dashboard, especially if I have to divert my attention to a screen and swipe and touch it to control the car. Granted any device can be a distraction, but I find the remote touch to be the lesser of the evils. It should also be noted I'm only familiar with the RX remote touch and other manufacture's touch screen and perhaps one of the myriad of other hand control methods would also be to my liking. Don't know, don't care. Combined with the two buttons and rocker switch at the base, I like the remote touch interface.
Old 04-24-13, 07:56 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Touchscreens force manufacturers to push dashboards forward, sacrificing space, the placement also prevented cowls from being positioned over them to prevent glare, not to mention they would always have smudges on them (making glare that much worse)

Definitely a good move by Lexus to mbrace how other manufacturers designed their infotainment system, I'm much happier w/remote touch than having a touchscreen when i Drive.
Old 07-16-13, 05:16 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

so do all new 2013 and beyond Lexus models with Navigation use "Remote Touch" with no Touch Screen?

i just had a 2012 ES as a loaner yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that it had a Touch Screen Nav.
Old 07-16-13, 05:20 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

i think this says it best -

"Control of those added functions is in some ways made easy by the second generation Remote Touch interface, where you use a joystick to “feel” your way across the screen. Ideal for simple functions, try typing an entire address into the navigation system and the leap between such a controller and a modern touch screen is as vast as the difference between chopsticks and the fork and knife."

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...ideo-2030.html
Old 07-16-13, 06:36 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
so do all new 2013 and beyond Lexus models with Navigation use "Remote Touch" with no Touch Screen?

i just had a 2012 ES as a loaner yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that it had a Touch Screen Nav.
yes... 2012 is old model, 2013 has RT...

Main "problem" for RT is that it is set to be very sensitive, which might not be suitable if you never used it before... it can be adjusted but most people trying it for 5 minutes, or reviewers, have no clue about that.
Old 07-16-13, 06:43 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
yes... 2012 is old model, 2013 has RT...

Main "problem" for RT is that it is set to be very sensitive, which might not be suitable if you never used it before... it can be adjusted but most people trying it for 5 minutes, or reviewers, have no clue about that.
And you can adjust the remote touch sensitivity...maybe reviews don't do that and use the default setting only.

Its not perfect but I have no issues with it or any of the German systems, it just takes time to get used to it.

Old 07-16-13, 06:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I had a Lexus with the touch screen nav which I liked. I now have an Audi with their MMI controller. After a brief learning period I like this one too. Just different approaches to the same end. The learning curve is the main thing. Haven't tried the RT in a Lexus yet but I can imaine that it takes some getting used to.
Old 07-16-13, 10:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

2013 LX570 still tough screen.
Old 07-16-13, 01:12 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remote Touch is much safer than a touch screen. It requires less coordination between your eyes and your finger, therefore more attention can be paid to the road ahead of you. There are quite a few psychology studies that show this to be true, but (similarly) people still text and drive so I don't know if this is something everyone can/will accept.

Moving away from touch screens is a good thing, and hopefully in the future car-phone integration will enable remote touch systems to more fully interact with the phone rather to further reduce distracted driving.
Old 07-16-13, 01:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

And you can adjust the remote touch sensitivity...maybe reviews don't do that and use the default setting only.

Its not perfect but I have no issues with it or any of the German systems, it just takes time to get used to it.
yeah, i dont think any of reviewers ever adjusted theirs.
Old 07-16-13, 06:17 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Infra
Remote Touch is much safer than a touch screen. It requires less coordination between your eyes and your finger, therefore more attention can be paid to the road ahead of you. There are quite a few psychology studies that show this to be true, but (similarly) people still text and drive so I don't know if this is something everyone can/will accept.

Moving away from touch screens is a good thing, and hopefully in the future car-phone integration will enable remote touch systems to more fully interact with the phone rather to further reduce distracted driving.
Great post. You also are more apt to use the voice controls which are getting better and better. Again I have no issues with touch screens either.

Old 07-16-13, 07:53 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't like Joysticks, dials touch, or voice.... Just buttons!
Old 07-16-13, 07:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

2013 GX is also Touchecreen.

NOTE* the CT is the only model with RT that still has the easy to use enter buttons on the sides
Old 07-16-13, 08:06 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Megafast13
I don't like Joysticks, dials touch, or voice.... Just buttons!
I Agree, Out of all the cars I have owned and Driven my GF's MB C350 and her BMW 335i coupe. The newer I-drive in the BMW was a very close 2nd to touch screen but my Old Infiniti G35 Sport had both Touch and Buttons and I used the buttons way more often. Infiniti's system is the most user friendly and accessible of all systems, where I can touch for certain things but have buttons to scroll or zoom in/out, it was like playing the piano while driving down the road..

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO