Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-14, 05:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gekko
Popular Android predictive keyboard SwiftKey is about to pop up in a whole different series of devices, with the text entry system set to appear in the Clarion AX1 Android-based car entertainment system. It'll allow passengers and distracted drivers to access the web and send messages in usual SwiftKey style.

The Clarion AX1 is a car entertainment and GPS system with a 6.5-inch display, a screen that's detachable so the passenger can easily amuse themselves on long trips. It does all the usual Android tablet stuff too, like 1080p playback, Wi-Fi connectivity and Bluetooth features for smartphone control.
Neat device. Unfortunately with modern interior design cues and trends, there are fewer and fewer vehicles that offer the traditional double din.
Old 01-10-14, 05:39 PM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

First look: Audi's Android-powered Smart Display
Android Central
By Richard Devine | Jan 10 2014 | 7:08 pm

Old 01-27-14, 09:45 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

my prediction is that the pendulum will swing back to touchscreen displays in about 5 years.
Old 01-27-14, 10:11 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my prediction is that the pendulum will swing back to touchscreen displays in about 5 years.
I don't think so, because it's an inherently unsafe technology.

As much as people like to pile hate on Audi's & BMW's *****, once you are familiar with them, the system is completely intuitive to use, and muscle memory always knows exactly where to push without having to LOOK or THINK about it.

Touchscreens just never approach this ease of use because you're always having to LOOK and THINK what button you are pressing, because you need to know what screen you're on before you can select an option.

Also, touch screens are TERRIBLE for scrolling lists - every try to access the address book in a Lexus nav?
Old 01-27-14, 10:15 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 861 Likes on 649 Posts

The greater distance from driver's eyes to the display screen with the remote setup is very helpful for those of us that wear reading glasses. I don't wear them to drive and some written words are tough to read quickly on a touch screen. It also helps when the screen is pushed farther back under the dash to minimize sun glare.
Old 01-27-14, 12:57 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
I don't think so, because it's an inherently unsafe technology.

As much as people like to pile hate on Audi's & BMW's *****, once you are familiar with them, the system is completely intuitive to use, and muscle memory always knows exactly where to push without having to LOOK or THINK about it.

Touchscreens just never approach this ease of use because you're always having to LOOK and THINK what button you are pressing, because you need to know what screen you're on before you can select an option.

Also, touch screens are TERRIBLE for scrolling lists - every try to access the address book in a Lexus nav?
It seems to me that there has to be a happy medium.

I do think that the sophistication in cars makes straight touch screens difficult to manage. That's a big part (but not all) of the mass hate of MyFordTouch -- too much stuff jammed onto the touch screen.

BUT--when the screen is put to audio or climate in my Lexus, and the large "buttons" on the screen function like station presets, or A/C control buttons, I think the touchscreen works better than an iDrive controller.
Old 01-27-14, 06:19 PM
LexFather

Well remote touch is gone anyway starting with the RC F….

The dual touch screens on the Q50 and new Acura RLX and MDX have gotten bashed by reviewers and owners have tons of complaints. They are slow with redundant controls and just a mess. It is obvious why the luxury leaders went away from touch screens.

Who are you going to follow, Benz, BMW, Audi, Lexus or Infinit, Acura?

Old 01-28-14, 03:46 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFather
Well remote touch is gone anyway starting with the RC F….

The dual touch screens on the Q50 and new Acura RLX and MDX have gotten bashed by reviewers and owners have tons of complaints. They are slow with redundant controls and just a mess. It is obvious why the luxury leaders went away from touch screens.

Who are you going to follow, Benz, BMW, Audi, Lexus or Infinit, Acura?
a poor, messy UI is a poor messy UI. don't blame touch screen technology for that. touch screens are great IMO but they are not a panacea when the underlying UI is garbage.
Old 01-28-14, 08:03 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Touch screens allow intuitive GUI's to work quickly - when the car is at rest (when you should be using them). If you've tried to poke at a touch screen on a rough road - or worse, on a gently rolling highway, you've discovered a serious problem . . . accuracy. Waving your index finger around at arm's length, you're lucky to hit the screen at all. It's not the system, but you.

Back when touch screens were only about 5-6 inches, you could hang a finger on a convenient ledge for stability and poke away with another. But larger screens have made that technique difficult. Even with my near octave-and-a-half keyboard hands, it's a stretch. I can imagine people with smaller hands have even more difficulty on roads that are anything but billiard-table smooth. As most of the civilized world is familiar with the operation of a mouse, I would think that the interface would be second-nature. However with the proliferation of smartphones and tablets, maybe we're losing that eye-hand connection.
Old 01-28-14, 08:13 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a poor, messy UI is a poor messy UI. don't blame touch screen technology for that. touch screens are great IMO but they are not a panacea when the underlying UI is garbage.
It's a bigger issue than that. These combo systems, with both a **** AND a touch screen, are a mess because you're designing a UI than will work with both types of inputs, so it's not optimized for either.

We have such a system in our JX. It's terrible. I have 8 or 10 buttons for different top level screens, and I never know which one to hit because I only drive it a few times a week. Some screens I'll need to use the **** for scrolling, some I must reach to touch the screen. All the buttons also clutter up the dash. Thankfully in a CUV you have quite a bit of dash room, but I can imagine in a car this sort of system would take up the entirety of the dash.

Systems with hard buttons can be operated more quickly, even if the screen itself has delays. You don't have to wait for the screen to update before pressing a button. A well designed system will recognize the input even before the OS has loaded, or finished displaying the screen change animation. Touch screens force implementing hard delays will we wait on them to finish whatever they are doing.
Old 01-28-14, 08:51 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

This is what iOS for cars looks like
Updated design could come with iOS 7.1
By Jacob Kastrenakes on January 28, 2014 10:21 am

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/28/53...mulation-video

Old 02-27-14, 05:48 AM
Gekko
Lead Lap

Volvo announces new 'human machine interface' and it looks a lot like a tablet (video)

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/26/v...creen-console/
Attached Thumbnails Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO-volvo-hmi-console.jpg  
Old 02-27-14, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,585 Posts

and they say texting is distracting?

oh i just have to watch this important webinar for work while driving there.
Old 02-27-14, 10:53 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and they say texting is distracting?

oh i just have to watch this important webinar for work while driving there.
At that point autonomous cars make sense
Old 02-27-14, 12:47 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I traded my 2013 RX for a 2014 GX because it was so difficult to input an address, tune the radio, or make a phone call with the remote touch.
I'm hoping voice recognition improves enough to replace the remote touch cause I really miss my RX.

Quick Reply: Remote Touch Navigation is terrible and backwards technology IMO