Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: Mercedes ML350 Bluetec Turbodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by KA8

Kind of getting used to new ML exterior still prefer last gen when it comes to exterior design. When we were trading our 08 ML for a new one we looked at gasoline and diesel models. Diesel engine was so quiet that I thought they were gasoline engines.

Yes, for those, like me, who are old enough to clearly remember the soot-belching, noise-clattering, hard-to-start automotive diesels of the 70s and 80s (and the extreme unreliability of some of them), there's just no comparison between those days and the Bluetecs and VW/Audi TDIs of today. Part of it, of course, is that we also have much better (albeit more expensive) diesel-fuel than back then, too.

With 400+ TQ bluetec ML makes an excellent towing vehicle.
As for the towing capacity, with the optional hitch, the specs say 7200 lbs. That's not bad for a unibody-type vehicle....and, of course, as you note, partially reflects the diesel's massive torque. But, even with that kind of power, to get much more than that in terms of towing-capacity, you usually have to move to a body-on-frame vehicle, which can haul more weight without bending things.

Only reason we went with gasoline model was lack of spare tire with bletec model. I think new ML has spare tire am I correct?
The Bluetec models I looked at had full-size, but temporary/limited-use spares. I didn't check the gas-models, and the Mercedes web-site does not mention what kind of spares they have (even for the Bluetecs). But, today, it's hard to find real spares anymore, short of trucks and off-road-designed SUVs. The ML has some limited off-road capability, but, in general, is not designed for it.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-11 at 04:43 PM.