Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Advice about car trade in

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-11, 05:56 PM
JohnnyIS25
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice about car trade in

So i recently traded in my car for a new lexus at this dealer. When i traded in my car i had my aftermarket wheels on so when they quoted it they didnt see the stock wheels, but i did say i would put the stock wheels back on. Now my dilemma is after i traded in my car and two weeks later they call to demand to have me pay for new tires on the stock wheels because it didnt have enough tire thread, but what i dont understand is why did they still traded in my car if they think my tires wasnt good on the wheels on the day of when i did my paper work? I had my stock wheels back on already and they couldn't go re-evaluate it . I do like this dealership but i am not willing to fork out 1k for new tires, i am willing to do maybe like 300. Can anyone help me on this?? I am liable for the tires after i traded my car in and all the paper work is done?
Old 10-26-11, 06:03 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this is crazy,,,,they supposed to check everything before trading in,,,its their fault not yours,,,
Old 10-26-11, 06:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

This is one of many reasons (and I don't have time to go into them all in detail here) why I generally don't recommend aftermarket wheels. You are (usually) better-off leaving the stock wheels and tires-sizes as they are....they are specifically tailored to the vehicle's suspension, steering, and brakes.

Having said that, though, we can't turn the clock back on your car, but have to deal with the issue at hand. So then, what's the story on the stock wheels and tires? The dealership is complaining that the tread is apparantly gone....what's the story on that? Did you wear them out quickly by driving hard and aggressively, or just keep them on a long time, wear them out normally, and then trade the car off?

Even if the stock tires WERE worn-out, though, in most cases, that's just the cost of a dealership doing buisness. Dealerships are expected, if needed, to replace worn-out tires on used cars for sale.....in fact, for most auto-brands, it is part of their Certified Used Car program (which you pay for when you buy a CPO), and a key-item on the CPO Inspection-list.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-26-11 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-26-11, 06:33 PM
JohnnyIS25
Lexus Test Driver

Actually no, the stock tires has normal wear and tear of 5 month being on my car. What happen is when i traded in my car the day before they appraised it assuming that i will give them the stock wheel back which i did. So what happen is that they didnt look at the car next day to make sure, so i assume everyting was fine. We did our paper work and traded in my car for the new car. Now two weeks later they contact me stating that hey your tires are old and bald, you are going to need to pay for some new tires. I am like ummmmm nooo, they shouldnt be. I know they arent brand new, but i also know its not worn down and you cant assume i was going to give you new tires on my stock wheels. I have never said new tires are included, you just assume when i give you my stock wheels back that the tires would be in new condition.
Old 10-26-11, 07:00 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't give in to their BS. Paperwork is done, they've had the car for 2 weeks and now they expect for you to pay for tires? They can't do anything about unless you agree to it. First, if they wanted to have you pay for the tires for them being bald, they should have done it the next day at most not 2 weeks after they had the car. Second, legally, all the paperwork is done and signed so they can't come back at you and demand to fix or replace anything on the car. That should have been done, in any case, before they signed and traded the car. It's their responsibility to make sure the car is good to their standards and worth whatever was appraised, not yours. And last, when you trade a car, there's no requirement to have brand new tires on it. Usually dealerships replace tires anyways when they get a used car to sell, I don't think they want to risk selling a car with bad tires so they can get sued or something.

They are just trying to get you to give in to them and pay for it, don't take my word for it but legally I don't think you have to pay them a dime. All they can do is tell you to pay for it, not make you.
Old 10-26-11, 07:07 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

If the paperwork is done and money and cars have changed hands then the deal is done. The dealer had 100% responsibility to completely check the car when you brought in and BEFORE they accepted it.

They can't come back at a later date and say they found something wrong with the trade - that's 100% their problem at this point, not yours. That's how trade ins work - the seller (you) don't warrant , represent, or guarantee the trade in in any way. For example if the engine blows up one day or one hour for that matter after they accept the trade from you then its 100% their problem not yours.

Only if you signed some weird contractual paperwork allowing them to call off the trade then you may have a problem.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 10-26-11 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-26-11, 08:08 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

That deal is finished. You are required to pay nothing.

They bought your car as-is on the day you signed your paperwork, and have no recourse at this point if they are unhappy with their purchase. Same as if you had bought a car and decided two weeks later that you wanted some of your money back. They'd tell you to get lost, and you should do the same.

I've had two callbacks in the past for BS from two different dealers, and I think this is just an underhanded tactic some dealers try to pull on the off chance that someone will actually go back and give them money. I wouldn't do business with that dealer anymore.
Old 10-26-11, 08:40 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Who knows if some dome dumb porter didnt ruin the tires on his way to the gas station. Stay strong and call them cheats, it usually gets to them.
Old 10-26-11, 09:02 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw em...
Old 10-26-11, 09:13 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

They have no right to do this. If you want to throw them a bone and say, "Ill give you the stock wheels and tires I still have like I said I would if you give me back the aftermarket wheels" then fine. That would save them the trouble of buying new tires for the car and they should be glad to do it.

But they have no right at this point to demand money from you. Call the better business bureau if this continues and report it.
Old 10-26-11, 09:35 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two weeks later after the deal is done? You do not have to do anything for them. They chose to take the car with factory wheels not the aftermarket ones not you. Lets say two weeks later the air conditioning quits, was working earlier but stopped, do you think you should have to fix it?

Its mid October, you took delivery on your new car and lets say in a couple of weeks the manufacturer comes out with a rebate to buy the car you bought. I dare you to try and go into the dealer and ask for the rebate. It wont happen, sorry. IT seems like me to be a way to try and get a few more sheckles out of you.
Old 10-26-11, 09:49 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Role reversal:

What if you demanded money from them because your car's tires were less than perfect? Would they pay you? Absolutely not.
Old 10-26-11, 10:17 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Role reversal:

What if you demanded money from them because your car's tires were less than perfect? Would they pay you? Absolutely not.
Exactly! Screw 'em and move on!!
Old 10-26-11, 10:23 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dealership has "traders' remorse"
Old 10-26-11, 10:31 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't even bother after all paperworks are done. Trading the car in is like selling an used car. No responsibilty after that, even if the motor blew up after 2 weeks, it's their problem.

Quick Reply: Advice about car trade in