Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How scared should I be to buy a 1997 Towncar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 05:51 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How scared should I be to buy a 1997 Towncar?

I'm shopping for this year's winter car since I don't like driving my car in the salt/snow. I have a commute of about a mile and live in a well-plowed area, so no Jeep or 4x4 required. I could care less what it is, other than that I prefer leather since I wear suits a lot and cloth pisses me off. I found a super-cheap towncar with 200k miles, but in great shape. Test drove it and it seems fine. Starts strong, runs quiet and nice, rides smooth, etc. I only plan on putting a few thousand miles on it per year, and may only keep it for one winter. Should I be concerned about reliability, or if they make it this far are they likely to be ok for a while? Also, should I be concerned about the air suspension?
Old 10-28-11, 06:04 PM
Getrag
Rookie

Besides people trying to flag you down thinking you're a livery cab........why not?

In all seriousness, I would look for a car that you could probably drive in more situations for the price range of the Town Car.

Maybe a cheap Subaru or something with AWD/4WD.
Old 10-28-11, 06:53 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

By "super cheap" I mean like 1500 bucks. I was originally going to get something more useful, as you suggest, but I'd be willing to chance it on the town car if it isn't some sort of imminent catastrophe.
Old 10-28-11, 07:11 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 446 Likes on 368 Posts

I've always been a big fan of those Town Cars. I was under the impression that they were reliable but both my Grandpa and Grandma owned Town Cars and started having all sorts of weird issues with them. My Grandma sold hers, but my Grandpa kept his and it's not running too good right now. These are both 95's if I'm not mistaken.

They are really comfortable cars though. Town Cars ride very smooth, assuming the struts aren't blown.
Old 10-28-11, 07:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

A rear wheel drive boat like the Town Car would not be ideal for winter weather. You want front or all wheel drive, traction/stability control, and good working ABS. If your price range excludes those goodies, at least go with a front driver with some new tires.
Newer Town Cars have a good reliability record at Consumer Reports. Older ones do not.
Good luck.
Old 10-28-11, 08:32 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If you wanna waft around in comfort buy a 98-00 LS400
Old 10-28-11, 11:49 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Check with your L/M dealer to be sure the Town Car you are considering has had the cruise control recall/retrofit made. I think it was the 94-97 TC's (and other Ford products) that had an issue with the cruise control servo catching fire under the hood and setting the vehicle (and garage, and house) ablaze. My late business partner had a pair of TC's in the garage that burned up, very nearly taking his home with them.
Old 10-29-11, 04:37 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I grew up in northern Ohio driving RWD cars. The only times I ever had problems with winter driver was when I was doing dumb stuff - like getting talked into driving home from college by a buddy during what turned out to be the blizzard of 77. Even then, it was the lack of visibility that made us stop at the side of the road - only to be rear-ended by a van.

Get it checked out by a mechanic and throw some good tires and windshield wipers on it. Make sure the heat, defrost, all lights, and windshield washers work.
Old 10-29-11, 09:42 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Watch the ball joints in the front, and the air struts. Common problems. They are good cars though if properly maintained. I have seen a few that were cabs and newer than that, and they were put through the ringer...but still (miraculously) running.

I say go for it. With any luck it was owned by an older couple who traveled around the country...alot.
Old 10-29-11, 09:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X

They are really comfortable cars though. Town Cars ride very smooth, assuming the struts aren't blown.
That is true. Few cars like that are really still in production today.......most of the emphasis is on handling, firmer rides, low-profile tires, and steering-response. Cruise-comfort, in a straight-line, has largely been put on the back burner.

One problem that a lot of Town Cars have, though, suspension-wise, is with the air-suspension that keeps the car self-leveling under a load. I would avoid it if possible, especially if you don't usually carry much of a load.

I disagree, though, with those who say that a Town Car (or similiar RWD car) is OK in the winter with just a set of snow tires. Of course, all else equal, purpose-designed winter tires will do better than other types in snow, but FWD and AWD were developed for a reason...and one of those reasons, among others, was the traditional problems that RWD cars have on slick-surfaces. I've driven many RWD cars in the snow over the years, and, even with traction/stability control an good tires, there just is no comparison, especially to AWD.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-29-11 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-29-11, 10:21 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

For a commute of a mile I wouldn't waste my money - I'd walk or bike it.
Old 10-29-11, 10:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
We don't know his or her physical condition, though. Not everyone has legs, feet, or a back that will allow them to walk a significant distance each day. Of course, the counter-arguement is that one must excercise to KEEP fit...but even then, that is not possible for some people.
Old 10-29-11, 10:47 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Andy
Did not see that part. Man, just walk. You can walk a mile in less than 15 minutes if you are in a hurry.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We don't know his or her physical condition, though. Not everyone has legs, feet, or a back that will allow them to walk a significant distance each day. Of course, the counter-arguement is that one must excercise to KEEP fit...but even then, that is not possible for some people.
True, fair enough. I guess I am just used to my job, I walk at least 2-3 miles on any given day. The Dining Facility is a mile away from my motor pool LOL.
Old 10-29-11, 11:23 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A mile in the winter can feel like ten miles.
Old 10-29-11, 11:27 AM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't buy this car for the snow, even with snow tires.
For $1500, you can find a decent Civic.

Last edited by blacksc400; 10-29-11 at 11:32 AM.

Quick Reply: How scared should I be to buy a 1997 Towncar?