Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Justifying 2007 Acura MDX purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-11, 11:29 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you only drive on weekend, no need for 2 cars, go for the MDX for your growing family would be a better choice than keeping the GS. But you can also wait longer if you don't have immediate need for a larger car. Save more, buy later.
Old 10-29-11, 11:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by airahcaz
3. Keep the Lexus and do not buy the Acura this year, and reassess. I think this is the one that needs the most advice, as we would certainly get by this winter in the Lexus, and can reassess the SUV should we get pregnant again or saw a more immediate need to make the purchase. The funds would then get added to emergency fund, and maybe some of it into investments.
This.

I'd rather push them in the snow in a grocery cart with snow tires.

I'd look at the 2007 X5 or Benz GL class if possible and keep the GS.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-29-11 at 11:56 PM.

Old 10-30-11, 05:00 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This.

Does this mean you prefer a car with snow tires vs an AWD SUV with all season tires, OR just don't like the MDX?

Sorry, I'll never do Beamer or Benz, plus they cost more, so let's not turn this into a German vs Other thread

@Fizzy and blacksc, thanks as well. I like the thinking of only driving on weekends means to wait for a real need, saving more, buy later. Plus this thinking may get me into a 2008 for the same $ next year.

Last edited by airahcaz; 10-30-11 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Additions
Old 10-30-11, 07:52 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you are on the road if you have AWD you wont need snow tires, the AWD is able to make use of a lot more traction during turns. I drive with my AWD on summer tires during the winter and even when my front or rear loses grip the traction control and awd brings the car back into line.

When you are trying to move around at slow speeds, up a hill or out of your drive way, no snow tires means you will get stuck quite a bit. AWD or not if you car can't make use of the grip to over the inertia then you will be just spinning wheels.
Old 10-30-11, 07:59 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikez
When you are on the road if you have AWD you wont need snow tires, the AWD is able to make use of a lot more traction during turns. I drive with my AWD on summer tires during the winter and even when my front or rear loses grip the traction control and awd brings the car back into line.

When you are trying to move around at slow speeds, up a hill or out of your drive way, no snow tires means you will get stuck quite a bit. AWD or not if you car can't make use of the grip to over the inertia then you will be just spinning wheels.
What vehicle?
Old 10-30-11, 08:26 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

I drive an IS250 AWD, during yesterday's snow store I was trying to do a u turn in a slopped driveway of a convenient store and kept losing traction on less than 1" of snow. However on the road even during mountain passes my AWD and traction control kept me on the road even tho I felt the car sliding out.
Old 10-30-11, 08:35 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

I drive an IS250 AWD, during yesterday's snow store I was trying to do a u turn in a slopped driveway of a convenient store and kept losing traction on less than 1" of snow. However on the road even during mountain passes my AWD and traction control kept me on the road even tho I felt the car sliding out.
MDX SH-AWD prides itself in the "Super Handling"
Old 10-30-11, 08:39 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I had an 07 MDX Sport/Entertainment and loved it. Even with it's "all-season" tires, it was a champ up and down the mountain passes filled with snow. The Sport model had nicer leather for the seats and the magnetic controlled suspension. One the best all-around vehicles I've owned. It was a bit big for what I needed and I ended up trading it, but pretty solid nonetheless. I recommend one 100%.
Old 10-30-11, 08:41 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say keep the GS if its not broken why fix it? Not buying now gives you more time to save up money so you can get an even newer one. Good luck.
Old 10-30-11, 10:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mentality like this is precisely why I almost wish SUVs/AWD vehicles were banned. Nothing worse to see someone drive their FX/X5 with ridiculous oversized rims with low profile tires on snowy roads at regular speeds.

Just because AWD helps you get unstuck and get going, doesn't mean it will help you stop. And once that big monster starts sliding, good luck getting it to stop. Yet too many drivers are absolutely ignorant to this fact.
Old 10-30-11, 10:27 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
This.

The GL is probably out of the OPs price range, and for X5... not only its less practical than the MDX, but also a used BMW is a liability. I have a 2005 bmw rotting in my driveway - with everything that could possibly go wrong with a car. Broken I-drive (taking all systems with it - ac, radio), CEL, engine that consumes oil, etc. BMW's CPO warranty was a total scam that completely screwed me over as well.

MDX, imho, is the best all around SUV out there for your buck. My parents are on their second one, they've tried many SUVs in the past, and the MDX easily trumps them all.
Old 10-30-11, 11:00 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Lamar and All,

We're set on MDX and we won't be doing any crazy snow driving. We avoid it.

Looks like we're going to wait for a 2008
Old 10-30-11, 12:27 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awd doesn't help you in braking, snow tires are still a good option.
Old 10-30-11, 12:44 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by airahcaz
Does this mean you prefer a car with snow tires vs an AWD SUV with all season tires, OR just don't like the MDX?
Mike has never been fond of the MDX although he has agreed to its utility. As long as we've know each other on CL, it is something we've just agreed to disagree.

Good decision on waiting if that is what works for you. The GS is a nice car and will still serve you well. I'm waiting for the 09s to get in the low 20k's before deciding. My 02 (I only use it as a utility vehicle) is still going strong so I just can't see a need to switch yet. I've looked at X5's, MLs, Q7s, ... and for the price and utility, I keep coming back to the MDX. I actually LIKE the look of the MDX so it is not a compromise to not get one of the others.
Old 10-30-11, 01:10 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och

Mentality like this is precisely why I almost wish SUVs/AWD vehicles were banned. Nothing worse to see someone drive their FX/X5 with ridiculous oversized rims with low profile tires on snowy roads at regular speeds.

Just because AWD helps you get unstuck and get going, doesn't mean it will help you stop. And once that big monster starts sliding, good luck getting it to stop. Yet too many drivers are absolutely ignorant to this fact.
Which is why I leave insane amount of room in front of me when it snows? The key is not getting it stopped, as long as you have momentum and tarmac you can still retain control because your wheels are moving. When you find yourself needing to stop but can't, it means you were going too fast for the condition youre in.

You are probably one of those drivers that thinks because you have the right tires you can go ahead and tail gate and drive like a fool in bad weather

Quick Reply: Justifying 2007 Acura MDX purchase