Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Justifying 2007 Acura MDX purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 01:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
You are probably one of those drivers that thinks because you have the right tires you can go ahead and tail gate and drive like a fool in bad weather
Nope. I'm one of those drivers that equips his vehicle with appropriate tires and drives in a manner appropriate to weather and road conditions, and hates being tailgated by an SUV with improper tires, driven by someone that thinks AWD makes them invincible.
Old 10-30-11, 04:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
When you are on the road if you have AWD you wont need snow tires, the AWD is able to make use of a lot more traction during turns. I drive with my AWD on summer tires during the winter and even when my front or rear loses grip the traction control and awd brings the car back into line.

When you are trying to move around at slow speeds, up a hill or out of your drive way, no snow tires means you will get stuck quite a bit. AWD or not if you car can't make use of the grip to over the inertia then you will be just spinning wheels.
It is true that low-profile, summer-only tires are just not the way to go in snow (Subaru, in the WRX/STi literature, heavily stresses that). But mikez is correct that, with AWD, you usually don't need snow tires, as long as what you actually have on the car is reasonable. My Outback, with regular all-seasons, has gone through foot-deep blizzards and hard-packed, slick snow without so much as even a wheelspin. It usually takes glare-ice, or something very close to it, to really break-traction. I would also note that my Outback is one of the ones built before traction/stability control became standard...so the traction is even more remarkable.
Old 10-30-11, 07:15 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
The GL is probably out of the OPs price range, and for X5... not only its less practical than the MDX, but also a used BMW is a liability. I have a 2005 bmw rotting in my driveway - with everything that could possibly go wrong with a car. Broken I-drive (taking all systems with it - ac, radio), CEL, engine that consumes oil, etc. BMW's CPO warranty was a total scam that completely screwed me over as well.

MDX, imho, is the best all around SUV out there for your buck. My parents are on their second one, they've tried many SUVs in the past, and the MDX easily trumps them all.
2 car seats in 2nd row and find a way to get an adult in 3rd row, or move 1 car seat to the back.

If we could wait for 2014/2015, we'd buy a used 2012 Infiniti JX!
Old 12-05-11, 03:24 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Acura dealer offering me a clean red 2007 MDX (sorry, don't know specific shade of red/maroon), with Nav and rear camera, with 125K miles, for $16,500. Yes, lots of highway miles, from NJ, one owner, but I know these 07's with less miles go for lots more $, into the mid 20's easily.

It has a clean Carfax, and timing belt was done (not water-pump, not sure needed?)

Your thoughts very much appreciated, may buy tomorrow.
Old 12-05-11, 03:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by airahcaz
Acura dealer offering me a clean red 2007 MDX (sorry, don't know specific shade of red/maroon), with Nav and rear camera, with 125K miles, for $16,500. Yes, lots of highway miles, from NJ, one owner, but I know these 07's with less miles go for lots more $, into the mid 20's easily.

It has a clean Carfax, and timing belt was done (not water-pump, not sure needed?)

Your thoughts very much appreciated, may buy tomorrow.
The reason it's going cheap (16-17K) is probably the high miles (125K). The average 2007 vehicle, right now, would (assuming the typical 12,000 miles a year) have from 50-60K miles on it....virtually half the mileage that the one at the dealer has. A Honda product with 125K miles on it is not necessarily worn-out by any means....especially if it has had good care (look especially for documented oil-changes). 200K is often the average life of a well-cared-for Toyota or Honda-designed vehicle.....but don't expect a 2007 vehicle with 125K on it to necessarily have the same reliability, in the long-term, as one with only half the mileage. You're going to pay less, but, to some extent, you also take a litle kore of a chance, though id it's mostly highway miles on it, that certainly helps.

Good luck.

BTW, once you see the vehicle and can rate its overall physical condition for yourself, exactly what options it has, exact mileage, and other factors, you can figure its (rough) value for yourself with this website. I've often used it myself:

www.kbb.com

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-11 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-05-11, 07:14 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have a mechanic thoroughly check it out, then decide if its worth it to you. If you drive a lot of miles maybe it wont be the best, but if you wont be driving much, i think it seems like a pretty decent deal if everything checks out.
Old 12-05-11, 07:20 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Default Kbb and miles

Originally Posted by lamar411
I would have a mechanic thoroughly check it out, then decide if its worth it to you. If you drive a lot of miles maybe it wont be the best, but if you wont be driving much, i think it seems like a pretty decent deal if everything checks out.

Kbb with entering Nav and rear camera puts it over 22K.

We drive less than 5000 miles a year.
Old 12-05-11, 08:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds perfect and a great deal for what you need it for... keep us updated..
Old 12-06-11, 09:52 AM
516IS
Lexus Champion

Good luck with purchase of the MDX. BTW, why get an JX? I would spend the $$$ on a GX460.
Old 12-06-11, 10:07 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 516IS
Good luck with purchase of the MDX. BTW, why get an JX? I would spend the $$$ on a GX460.
460 3rd row is not good.

Bought the MDX!
Old 12-08-11, 09:03 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Put a deposit down. Dealer came back after 2 days saying the vehicle needs a new transmission. Car had 126k miles. Crazy. Bummer too.
Old 12-08-11, 09:31 AM
LexFather

Put a deposit down. Dealer came back after 2 days saying the vehicle needs a new transmission. Car had 126k miles. Crazy. Bummer too.
Which vehicle your GS or the MDX?

Congrats on the MDX I guess

Old 12-08-11, 09:38 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Which vehicle your GS or the MDX?

Congrats on the MDX I guess
My GS is fine. Had to back out the MDX deal.
Old 12-08-11, 09:43 AM
LexFather

My GS is fine. Had to back out the MDX deal.
So let me get this right. The MDX transmission blew. Color us all surprised.

Might as well go with that X5...at least its a true luxury vehicle.

Old 12-08-11, 09:47 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So let me get this right. The MDX transmission blew. Color us all surprised.

Might as well go with that X5...at least its a true luxury vehicle.
The dealer is going to wholesale the MDX out instead of fixing the tranny. I wont do BMW or Benz, so back to the drawing board.

Quick Reply: Justifying 2007 Acura MDX purchase