Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Justifying 2007 Acura MDX purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-11, 10:04 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Justifying 2007 Acura MDX purchase

I've been debating this purchase for months now, and would like your thoughts. Keep in mind the need for 2 car seats and living in the northeast with snow, etc.

1998 Lexus GS400 sedan:
bought in 2001, and 13 years old
cause of its age, there would not be a justifiable selling price in the open market, I might as well give to a relative at cost
all major maintenance done on it, no major issues
currently has no comprehensive or collision insurance
recently put on the snow tires for the season
fits the 2 car seats, driver, but only 1 more adult

2007 Acura MDX:
under $25,000, we'd buy it cash
4 years old and still under warranty
would need both comprehensive and collision coverage
AWD - so no need for snow tire switches every season
updated technology and safety features - especially for the children
3rd row seating convenience, fits the 2 cars seats, driver, and at least 2 more adults
would keep for 5-10 years

It is a pain to have 2 vehicles, but there is a convenience factor as well. We have several options:

1. Keep the Lexus and buy the Acura as well
2. Rid the Lexus and buy the Acura
3. Keep the Lexus and do not buy the Acura this year, and reassess. I think this is the one that needs the most advice, as we would certainly get by this winter in the Lexus, and can reassess the SUV should we get pregnant again or saw a more immediate need to make the purchase. The funds would then get added to emergency fund, and maybe some of it into investments.
Old 10-29-11, 10:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Given the options you've stated, if you don't need two vehicles, I'd get the MDX, and have that as your only ride. Snow seems to be potential problem where you live. The Lexus GS line did offer AWD after 2006, in the V6 330 and 350 series, but, according to Consumer Reports, the GS AWD lines have not been as reliable as other Lexus products.....in fact, they were below-average in reliability for several years.

If you have a kid nearing driving-age, you could also give him or her the GS you own now as a first-starter-car, if it is not worn-out and still has some life left in it. But make sure you aren't giving your kids something that will likely break down and leave them stranded somewhere.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-29-11 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-29-11, 10:46 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems like you'd rather have one car. Are there any sentimental attachments to the GS? If not, sell it. I bought my 98 GS3 in Jan 98 so it's old. I can't seem to be able to bring myself to sell it, especially for what they are worth now. That's just me.

I have an 02 MDX and have been toying with upgrading, although I'd be looking at the 09s (when they come down a bit more). I don't particularly like the exterior refresh Acura did for the 10s but I do like having the up-to-date fixes and improvements of the 2010+ models.

The longer you wait, the price should obviously get a bit lower. It comes down to your needs. All things being equal and you've decided the 07 MDX is what will work for you, I'd vote for 2.

Last edited by Neo; 10-29-11 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-29-11, 11:01 AM
airahcaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Neo
It seems like you'd rather have one car. Are there any sentimental attachments to the GS? If not, sell it. I bought my 98 GS3 in Jan 98 so it's old. I can't seem to be able to bring myself to sell it, especially for what's they are worth now. That's just me.

I have an 02 MDX and have been toying with upgrading, although I'd be looking at the 09s (when they come down a bit more). I don't particularly like the exterior refresh Acura did for the 10s but I do like having the up-to-date fixes and improvements of the 2010+ models.

The longer you wait, the price should obviously get a bit lower. It comes down to your needs. All things being equal and you've decided the 07 MDX is what will work for you, I'd vote for 2.
I'm quite attached to my Spectra Blue GS400, a rarity across many states. Like you, I've refused same day offers, as \anything less than say 8K is not worth me ridding it, although it is fair to say that they are worth that much in today's dollars, unfortunately.

I did find a certified 07 MDX for $22K, with 60K+ miles though, so they are coming down in price, but then again, the 07 will also become older, being driven by someone else.
Unless next year I can get an 08 for under $25K as well.
Old 10-29-11, 11:02 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I would keep the GS man, sure to continue to be a looker! Its paid for, and the insurance is cheap, so why not keep the GS and buy the Acura. If you can, you should...absolutely. 2 cars comes in handy more times than not.
Old 10-29-11, 11:10 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd keep the Lex man. If you get rid of it, you'll miss it and its good not having any car payments. Like Aof1 said, just buy the MDX and keep the GS.
Old 10-29-11, 11:20 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Big mistake on the no need for the winter tire switch. AWD does not help you stop, and all season tires are never going to have the same traction in snow as dedicated winter tires.
Old 10-29-11, 12:55 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

If there's nothing wrong with the Lexus and you can get by another winter without AWD then you might as well hold off on the MDX for now. Of course if your heart is set on it, then by all means switch it up. The MDX is a great well rounded SUV.
Old 10-29-11, 01:25 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Och
Big mistake on the no need for the winter tire switch. AWD does not help you stop, and all season tires are never going to have the same traction in snow as dedicated winter tires.
I hear you - snow not as much an issue in NJ, but definitely an issue for the GS, which goes sideways when there is 1/8th inch snow on the ground.
Old 10-29-11, 02:21 PM
kumquatism
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My family owns a 2004 MDX as well as a 2011 MDX. Both vehicles are great. But we do live in California, and the need for AWD is minimal. I cant comment on its handling in snow. The back seats are pretty small though; don't expect to fit adults comfortably in it. It's manageable, but not ideal. Although when the kids do grow out of their car seats, they would fit fine in the back row.

With that said, if you do need a roomier vehicle than the GS, I would recommend the MDX.
Old 10-29-11, 03:26 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Acura MDX defiantly, I was gonna get the MDX when purchasing my GS350 but I really didn't have a need for it expect for that i liked it a lot. Its an awesome car and if you are going to purchase it make sure its the 2008+ model as the 2007 was the first year of the car.
Old 10-29-11, 04:27 PM
omgitsjoe
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my family's exact setup

I have a IS which is perfect for the weekdays when I go to work and then pick up our little one from daycare . Rarely ever needing more space from Mon to Fri but on the weekends we always use mom's MDX as the family go to ride ! 3rd row seats was used only about 3 or 4 times in 5 years but when we did use it we were able to avoid using a 2nd car ! Great ride and I don't think you can go wrong with the MDX. Good luck !
Old 10-29-11, 05:07 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend has the same gen MDX you are considering and that car's build quality is top-notch.

I would suggest you to keep the lexus and get the MDX at the same time. If money is a little tight, hold on to the lexus this year and by next year you should have easily saved up enough money to pay for the offset of not selling the lexus.
Old 10-29-11, 09:55 PM
airahcaz
Instructor

We just had a nor'easter with close to a foot of snow and my GS was fine with my snow tires!

Money's not as tight, but just trying to go through the proper justification. We only drive on weekends, mostly grocery shopping.

Someone mentioned not going for the 2007 MDX as that was first model year after the update, so although nothing really changed for 2008, clearly they cost more now than waiting for 2012.
Old 10-29-11, 10:44 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Tough decision. The GS is a classic, with the color and options you have. It would be hard to let that go. The MDX is a nice ride too. My mom has put 68k miles on her 2005, and it's been absolutely flawless. If longterm reliability is your highest priority, you can't go wrong with the Acura. In the end, I think both cars are winners and you are ahead regardless of what you decide.
Good luck to you and your family.

Quick Reply: Justifying 2007 Acura MDX purchase