Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

wouldn't it be nice if there was a Lexus LFA replica kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-11, 07:15 PM
DreamMaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wouldn't it be nice if there was a Lexus LFA replica kit

It saddens me that car lovers today will never realistically be able to afford beautiful automobiles like the LFA.
I think had Toyota been still solely owned by its founders family, it would be selling Civics that are cheap, reliable and yet very beautiful but of course it would never have gotten so large without outside investment.
I feel the money master behind the many conglomerates that have their tentacles over all types of industry like automobiles, are in a conspiracy not to sell beautiful cars that a regular working man can afford.
Why I think this about Toyota is because Japan is still under American military occupation, its money controlled from the outside, and any large companies with capital after the war were probably heavily influenced if they wanted to succeed.

Any who, after saying all that wouldnt it be nice to have a cheap bolt on kit car that resembles the LFA? Even go as far as making a similar interior...
Its not going to effect Toyota's wealthy customer base that probably have back ordered all the 500 cars to be made.

Last edited by DreamMaker; 10-29-11 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-29-11, 07:24 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Man, I thought there was a replica kit available when I opened this thread.
Old 10-29-11, 08:09 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Nah...an "LFA" without the V10 soundtrack would be totally worthless to me.
Old 10-29-11, 08:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamMaker
It saddens me that car lovers today will never realistically be able to afford beautiful automobiles like the LFA.
I think had Toyota been still solely owned by its founders family, it would be selling Civics that are cheap, reliable and yet very beautiful but of course it would never have gotten so large without outside investment.
I feel the money master behind the many conglomerates that have their tentacles over all types of industry like automobiles, are in a conspiracy not to sell beautiful cars that a regular working man can afford.
Why I think this about Toyota is because Japan is still under American military occupation, its money controlled from the outside, and any large companies with capital after the war were probably heavily influenced if they wanted to succeed.

Any who, after saying all that wouldnt it be nice to have a cheap bolt on kit car that resembles the LFA? Even go as far as making a similar interior...
Its not going to effect Toyota's wealthy customer base that probably have back ordered all the 500 cars to be made.
Corolla's right
Old 10-29-11, 08:52 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I've seen people build copies of Veyrons and Lambos. Im sure someone will build a copy of an LFA and put it on ebay after. But there is one thing they'll never match, those gauges the LFA has....
Old 10-30-11, 12:05 AM
DreamMaker
Driver School Candidate

And I bet the price will be ridiculous anyway... hopefully what I have in mind will total under 10k.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Man, I thought there was a replica kit available when I opened this thread.
Im a poor person and have never really had a job by choice, but for the last 5 years Ive been trying to redesign a 300zx (z32) into an exotic looking car.
First I started out designing by hand but this last year I chose to make a homemade CNC machine to make my kit perfect and bolt over my donor.
My design has changed over time, currently it's inspired by the Ferrari F-Zero concept and the LFA's smooth round front bumper.
The ZX body is similar to the LFA's and with using its front bumper in my design.... I have come up with the idea of my kit doubling as an LFA replica by using the same body but changing a few panels to replicate the LFA.
I personally love my custom design and actually think its better then the LFA's, but this way I can make more sales to further my kit ventures and also regular people will have a chance to own such an art masterpiece on four wheels... bravo to its original designer.
Currently Im repairing my CNC machine to mill my design in foam then I plan to make a brick oven in a backyard and mold my panels out of ABS (somewhat flexible) plastic by way of 'vacuum forming' over hardened foam.
I started this thread to see what members here think about the morality of making a replica... which I dont think will effect Toyota in a negative way as the low numbered replicas wont effect actual LFA sales, but actually would endorse Toyota cars when people see it from a far.

For this new year, Toyota will release the FT-86 which uses similar lights as the LFA... and my custom car will be finished by then... but Im still not sure about creating the actual replica replacement panels.... I think it would be best to just sell my kit and let the world community at large make the modifications needed to replicate the LFA perfectly... this would also protect me from legal issues as my current design is at least 10% different then the LFA while using the same body.

Sorry about the long read and not posting my 3D car design yet, I need to get approval from the moderator first.

Originally Posted by ydooby
Nah...an "LFA" without the V10 soundtrack would be totally worthless to me.
You can mortgage a house or a car for 40 years, but living out of a LFA will be difficult.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Corolla's right
Haha yes, silly me for saying Civic.

Last edited by DreamMaker; 10-30-11 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-30-11, 01:37 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the fact that not everyone can afford it is part of why cars like the LFA are drooled overy by car enthusiasts. If we all could afford cars that look just like the LFA, what would we have to look forward too? lol. The exclusivity of a car is one of the reasons why many are sold out before even being released. The LFA Is the perfect example, you can't just buy one no matter how much money you have. Lexus leases it to you, and you have to be approved by Lexus to own one. It's one of the cars that even some of the wealthiest people cannot get their hands on. It just makes each of the 500 LFA's even more desirable than if they had just been sold first come first serve.

Even if they made a bolt on kit (and it wouldn't be cheap) it wouldn't be the same at all. You'd be lacking the motor, super build quality, exclusivity and attention to detail that the real LFA's showcase. If you've ever sat it one, it's an experience on its own that you can't match with a bolt on kit. I'm also sure not too many people that can actually afford the LFA would be as happy to buy the car knowing there was a bolt on kit floating around that resembled the car they are about to drop a good amount of change on.

Bottom line: Even if you had a bolt-on kit, you'd still want the real LFA. lol
Old 10-30-11, 02:26 AM
DreamMaker
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I think the fact that not everyone can afford it is part of why cars like the LFA are drooled overy by car enthusiasts.
Im all about design first and if I owned your car I would seriously trade it in for a couple of these oldies

If we all could afford cars that look just like the LFA, what would we have to look forward too? lol.
That is like choosing an ugly girl friend now so that one would have something to look forward to when he finally finds a girl to marry
I think what car companies are doing is holding back design innovation to keep selling new cars rather then have people cherish and repair one car over many years... look at what the independent company Koenigsegg has produced in the last 5 years, absolutely stunning.
Also we can look forward to this!

The exclusivity of a car is one of the reasons why many are sold out before even being released. The LFA Is the perfect example, you can't just buy one no matter how much money you have. Lexus leases it to you, and you have to be approved by Lexus to own one. It's one of the cars that even some of the wealthiest people cannot get their hands on. It just makes each of the 500 LFA's even more desirable than if they had just been sold first come first serve.
Status is important when seen in a car for some but Im sure many more appreciate a beautifully sculpted design.

Even if they made a bolt on kit (and it wouldn't be cheap) it wouldn't be the same at all. You'd be lacking the motor, super build quality, exclusivity and attention to detail that the real LFA's showcase. If you've ever sat it one, it's an experience on its own that you can't match with a bolt on kit. I'm also sure not too many people that can actually afford the LFA would be as happy to buy the car knowing there was a bolt on kit floating around that resembled the car they are about to drop a good amount of change on.

I wouldnt feel too bad for LFA millionaire owners, it will be pretty rare to even see one driving on public roads I bet, unless you live in the U.K., L.A. or NY. But I think if someone is willing to spend the money and or time, exceptional coach building isnt exactly rocket science with all the abundant set of real or fake materials available. Of course to make the dash, console and seats you'd want professional tools like a CNC machine, but just the interior, good sound deadening, and clean body lines are enough to satisfy many like myself.

Edit
Having been asked not to post products for sale and not receiving a response from yesterday if I can show my design yet , here is my concept so far.

Last edited by DreamMaker; 10-30-11 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-31-11, 09:47 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 425 Likes on 349 Posts

I just wish the LFA became the next SC or Supra instead of a super high class exotic that even millionares can't buy.

I'd settle for a kit but it just wouldn't be the same without a V10.
Old 10-31-11, 10:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Agreed. A tiger can't be imitated by a house-cat. You either have an LF-A or you don't.
Old 10-31-11, 11:45 AM
DreamMaker
Driver School Candidate

My kit will be for the 2+2, longer versions of the ZX and these come with 200hp stock... but one can get a shop to swap in a Nissan v8 with not many difficulties and at least enjoy some of the high torque the LFA offers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3hLQtXRAqU#t=2m08s

Here is a video of my model in 3D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nihhKmBpA5E

Here is the amazing Ferrari I was talking about

To replicate the high pitch, high redlining valve train the LFA has, it might only be possible by hacking two motorcycle engines in somehow...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y0k_cDgKv8