Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda prices 2012 Ridgeline Sport from $29,995*

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-11, 11:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Honda prices 2012 Ridgeline Sport from $29,995*

Honda prices 2012 Ridgeline Sport from $29,995*

We knew Honda's load-lugging curiosity, the Ridgeline pickup, was getting a modest refresh for the 2012 model year, and we even knew there was a new Sport model waiting in the wings. But now we have more details – including pricing.

For 2012, the Ridgeline range starts at $29,250* for the entry-level RT model and zooms all the way to $37,180* for the top-shelf RTL with navigation. The sweet spot, however, might just be the new Sport model shown above. At $29,995* it's only $749 more than the base RT, yet includes such visual niceties as 18-inch alloys (the base RT rolls on 17-inch steelies), blacked-out honeycomb grille and matching light bezels, as well as fog lamps and tinted rear windows. Inside, there's a leather-wrap wheel with audio controls, an aux input on the stereo and floor mats. (*All Ridgeline models are subject to a $810 delivery charge).

Range-wide changes for 2012 include a new front grille and various small aero improvements that help net the genre-straddling pickup a revised fuel economy rating of 15 city and 21 highway, an increase of 1 mpg on the interstate. The rest of the range remains basically unchanged, including the 3.5-liter V6 that offers 250 horsepower and 247 pound-feet of torque and its trademark in-bed trunk.

Despite consistently slow sales, Honda recently pledged that the Ridgeline still has a future. While we haven't seen or heard anything official out of the Japanese automaker about a successor, it has been rumored that the new-for-2012 CR-V could spawn a light-duty pickup variant at some point down the road, an interesting idea about which we won't hold our breath.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/04/h...t-from-29-995/
Old 11-04-11, 11:48 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The blacked out SE model looks good, but the whole ridgeline design is getting old. The 2012 refresh doesn't look much difference. How many years has it been on the market now?
Old 11-05-11, 06:46 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Honda is going to have a tough sale for their "almost a pickup" Ridgeline against, for example, a GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Crew Cab with 4WD and a 4.8L V8 that delivers 14 cty/19 hwy mpg and still stickers for $32K. While the Ridgeline is a well-packaged vehicle, it is still a minivan with a BIG sunroof out back.
Old 11-05-11, 07:25 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've always rather liked the Ridgeline for it's functionality. The roomy, locking trunk eliminates the need for a bed box for hauling and towing supplies. The option to swing open the tailgate makes bed access much easier than reaching across the lowered tailgate. The interior is comfortable and roomy. However, the MPGs are mediocre and it can't haul / tow really large or heavy loads. Then there's the "Hit-with-the-ugly-stick" styling...
Old 11-05-11, 09:20 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I've always rather liked the Ridgeline for it's functionality. The roomy, locking trunk eliminates the need for a bed box for hauling and towing supplies. The option to swing open the tailgate makes bed access much easier than reaching across the lowered tailgate. The interior is comfortable and roomy. However, the MPGs are mediocre and it can't haul / tow really large or heavy loads. Then there's the "Hit-with-the-ugly-stick" styling...
Yes, I agree. I've always liked the Ridgeline's build-quality, versatility, and functionality. I disagree with the many negative comments from posters on-line. However, it is true that, for those who want the beefiness, towing-capacity, and off-road/part-time 4WD system of many full-size trucks, the Ridgeline is probably not for them.

The Ridgeline, BTW, unique among American-market-pickups, incorporates a "Unibody-on-Frame" design, which is not a traditional full-rail-frame, but uses a unibody-shell with frame-stiffeners underneath it. Because of its smaller (mid-size) and V6 engine, it doesn't have the big tow-capacity of a traditional full-size truck, but is a very stiff design, and helps with the uniqueness of the driving experience.
Old 11-05-11, 09:28 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have always been a fan of the Ridgeline, but as stated, the styling cues are definately dated. The new model, pictured above, does make it look even better, but it unfortunately still looks dated.
Old 11-05-11, 09:41 AM
xioix
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
But when you have a full load in the back of the truck bed, its hard to get to the locking trunk

Dodge did it right by having it accessible side trunk
Old 11-05-11, 09:45 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I do like the look of the sport model

But I also agree with others, the Ridgeline is in need of an update.
Old 11-05-11, 01:48 PM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just can't ever consider this car as long as the Tacoma TRD version is available. The two models are very similar in horsepower and capacity but the tacoma just looks much better IMO and priced a little bit cheaper too
Old 11-05-11, 02:16 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edgeucated
I just can't ever consider this car as long as the Tacoma TRD version is available. The two models are very similar in horsepower and capacity but the tacoma just looks much better IMO and priced a little bit cheaper too
How does the interior room in the Taco compare to the Ridgeline? I've read that the Ridgeline is more passenger-friendly.
Old 11-05-11, 02:18 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xioix
But when you have a full load in the back of the truck bed, its hard to get to the locking trunk...
Yeah, no kidding. You have to plan ahead.

"Hey, this load looks like it could use another ratchet strap. Were did you say those were?"
Old 11-05-11, 05:04 PM
LexFather

Yet its slower than a real truck and no sportier.....Sad....much like the lame TSX special edition, some wheels, some paint and a kit.....That was cool in the 1990s

Old 11-05-11, 05:33 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I could get by without the hauling capacity, the tow rating, even the funky look, but if I'm going to pay a premium price and still get no better than average fuel economy, the question becomes, "WHY?"
Old 11-06-11, 06:36 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks good and it's perfect for a family who makes a lot of Home Deport runs.
Old 11-06-11, 01:02 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Honda is wasting their time with the Ridgeline junk. But with how bad their sales are going, I can see why Honda is keeping it around a little longer.

Quick Reply: Honda prices 2012 Ridgeline Sport from $29,995*