Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fake M5 Engine Note!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-11, 08:15 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Aristo8
The thing that has me scratching my head is, why would they RECORD a sound? Why not channel the actual sound of the actual car into the cabin? What if something is changed on the car like intake or headers or something? That's just plain dumb.. Honda uses White Noise cancelers in there Odysseys n other Models.. I agree people would be flaming on Lexus if this were an IS/GS F
They did try other methods to channel the real sound into the cabin. I'm reading it now: "engineers experimented with a tube connecting the induction tract to the cockpit. They tried a microphone in the engine's intake and a speaker in the dash to reproduce what it heard."
These methods didn't work so they recorded the M5 on a dyno and the computer plays it through the speakers matching the acceleration. They call it Active Sound Design. The sound can be stopped by pulling out a fuse located in the trunk. However, this also would disable your stereo.

I agree with others that if Lexus had done this, ther would be an uproar in the automotive world. There was a minor uproar about the ISF faux tails. Something like this would have meant total upheaval.

I can't wait to see how the so-called BMW purists react when they hear about this.
Old 11-08-11, 09:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The M series vehicles have always been so pure , raw , and balanced. I am a little surprised and disappointed that the designers would resort to this. It seems contrived and artificial. The complete opposite of what a benchmark vehicle like this should have. "Active Sound Design" lol. Its like calling a janitor a "sanitary engineer".
Old 11-08-11, 09:53 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm just curious, what would happen if the engine breaks down . Is it going to emit the fake noise too, kind of disappointing if you ask me considering it is infact BMW. I suspect other companies will follow in this I betcha.
Old 11-08-11, 09:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Its like a push up bra on a super model. She clearly doesn't need it
Old 11-09-11, 04:50 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
I'm just curious, what would happen if the engine breaks down . Is it going to emit the fake noise too, kind of disappointing if you ask me considering it is infact BMW. I suspect other companies will follow in this I betcha.
I'm also disappointed BMW chose to go with the V8 twin turbo set up as opposed to the NA V10 from the previous E60 M5. The journalists say BMW tried to delete lag but admit they failed. They also claim the new model is less raw, being more refined and that this is a plus. Car Magazine sites this as a negative.

Looks like BMW has lost its way. Maybe they noticed that Lexus was raking in all the bucks and decided to make their cars more Lexus-like. Imitation may be flattering but that doesn't mean its the right thing to do.
Old 11-09-11, 08:05 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Ice350

I agree with others that if Lexus had done this, ther would be an uproar in the automotive world. There was a minor uproar about the ISF faux tails. Something like this would have meant total upheaval.

I can't wait to see how the so-called BMW purists react when they hear about this.
Exactly...the double standard is easily seen here....people were just going nuts that the GS F sport doesn't have fog lamps...here is a 7 series based, SUV engine based fake engine noise M5 and the thread is dying already compared to the other one "OMG 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, OMG"

It was stated in EVO as well...absolutely beyond pathetic. Goes to show that HP is not everything, a lesson people still don't get.

Make no mistake about it, the new M5 is still a superb vehicle but the specialness and the "M" stands for "Mass" and "MOAR" of everything....

Old 11-09-11, 09:17 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

"engineers experimented with a tube connecting the induction tract to the cockpit. ..."
The VW GTI actually has this. Sounds great.

Some dubbers remove it (faster spool they say) but it doesn't bother me at all.

Plus full torque at 1800 rpm... I mean really, who needs faster spool?
Old 11-09-11, 09:30 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow, that's lame.

I'd rather have my son make his own engine/exhaust noise: vrrroooooooommmmmm...roooooom

I'm also disappointed BMW chose to go with the V8 twin turbo set up as opposed to the NA V10 from the previous E60 M5. .
yeah, that screaming V10 was music to the ears
Old 11-09-11, 10:26 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Wow, that's lame.

I'd rather have my son make his own engine/exhaust noise: vrrroooooooommmmmm...roooooom

yeah, that screaming V10 was music to the ears
agreed, and also come with very impressive gas mileage
Old 11-09-11, 10:43 AM
JDMJNKY
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the world coming to when fake sound is better than the real deal?

The writer said they were shocked but after driving the car, they thought it sounded pretty good and let it go. What's next, fake burnouts? Fake power slides?
HAHAHA
Old 11-09-11, 11:02 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CleanSC
The VW GTI actually has this. Sounds great.

Some dubbers remove it (faster spool they say) but it doesn't bother me at all.

Plus full torque at 1800 rpm... I mean really, who needs faster spool?
The noise tube!
Old 11-09-11, 12:18 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

By purist, if you mean internet cry babies who will never buy the car, then they will probably ***** a lot but I think BMW realized with the E60 M5 to avoid the internet and give the paying customers what they want.
Old 11-09-11, 12:29 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Piping your actual engine noise into the cabin is one thing. Making a recording of an engine on a dyno that plays over the speakers to simulate your engine? Geez. Is that really what M5 owners want? A distraction from the actual merits of this beast of a car, but a huge disservice to the M tradition.
Old 11-09-11, 12:39 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Why can't they just put the windows down to hear the engine, lots of cars are well insulated
Old 11-09-11, 12:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

part of me wonder if it's better to just remove some insulation. more sound, less weight....

Quick Reply: Fake M5 Engine Note!!