Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Which type of car should I get?
'99 SC300, ~60k miles, $1k out of pocket, clean
60.00%
'04 TL, ~80k miles, $2-3k out of pocket, clean
16.00%
'05 TL, ~115k miles, $1.5k out of pocket, clean
24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Seeking advice: what should I do? (99 SC300 vs. 04-05 TL)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 04:12 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're just looking for a daily driver, then I would go with the TL. If you plan to do a lot of modding, go with the SC since you'll be replacing most of the parts anyway.
Old 11-14-11, 04:27 PM
seanlee
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meowCat
2nd gen ('04~'08) TL vehicles are made with poor quality. Going from SC400 to a 2nd gen TL is a HUGE downgrade in quality department, both the fit / finish and build quality. If you care for any of this, you will be disappointed. Now if all you care for is ride feel and some comfort, this car is it. The Auto's are slow as turtle. If you get manual, you will have gear synchro problems. It's crap.

Oh the clutch sucks too.
04 to 08 was the third gen.

i have had a dead battery (replaced for free), two dead radio button (seems to be an issue with a lot of TL's Navi), the auto fold down mirror doesn't always work. but other than that, it is a great car and i really don't have much complains. it has a blend of sporty and luxury.

with that said, the regular TL rides more like Accord, a bit soft to my taste, and the transmission isn't geared too aggressive either. the Type-S is much more responsive and stiffer. i'd say go with type S if you could find it.
Old 11-16-11, 12:33 AM
atx
Rookie

Oops, I meant 3rd gen. my fingers typed the wrong keys.

The Auto version TL is a bit softer on the ride and has more body roll. The manual version is a bit different animal. It has stiffer / firmer ride and has BREMB"R"O brakes. Suspension tuning is different as well. It's got thicker, hollow anti-roll bars. The gear is pretty tight on the manual, it's the auto that is loose. The Type-S has a tad stiffer ride than the manual TL, however it uses "solid" anti-roll bars. it is best suited for cornering.

You do roll-pull race with the manual TL or manual TL-S they get pretty mean. Try 50~ 120 mph pull. it will beat many cars. Yep, it's faster than the Camry V6.

But like I said, the TL is built like crap. Doors were ready to fall off when you shut it, at 10k mile mark. Rattles rattle and rattles. The NAV screen has LOW resolution, so the graphics look like crap. It uses cheaper, lower grade plastics on the dash and speedo gauges. Like I said, the transmission has issues, serious issues. 2nd and / or 3rd gear synchros are designed crap. This is design flaw. Why use "GM Modified Synchromesh Trans Fluid" on an Acura??? and it only *hides* the problem. It doesn't cure it permanently. The clutch is crap too. I ain't the only person got these issues. Check out acura forum archives and it's all over the threads. Acura refused to fix it till it was way too late. YOu do understand that the TL is built in America? TSX is built better and engineered better. With RL being the best in the Acura lineup (NSX excluded).
Well, I'm certainly going to need to do a thorough evaluation on any car I buy, but I'm definitely skeptical now. I understand your comments about quality and will have to see for myself, but as for the mechanical issues I suspect these would have been discovered by now since the cars have 80k-100k miles. I'm only interested in automatics (boring, I know), but re: "sportiness"... I never really considered the SC that sporty to begin with, so I think the TL will suffice.

Also, a type-s in this gen is more than I want to spend.
Old 11-16-11, 08:31 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Why use "GM Modified Synchromesh Trans Fluid" on an Acura???

I find the GM Synchromesh fluid to be okay, but not spectacular. The fluid works great initially, but the smooth factor goes away soon after. The new Honda MTF is better than the MTF it replaced. Seems like Honda builds their synchros for slow shifting and will not stand up to shift-skipping. It's pretty backward to offer a sporty car, yet not equip it with a transmission to handle some aggressive driving.
Old 11-19-11, 10:51 PM
atx
Rookie

Just an update, I ended up going with the Acura. Got a really good deal on an '05 that already had the timing belt changed so worst case scenario I can resell for more than I paid.

That said, I rushed the evaluation and wasn't thorough enough. The car has some squeaks / rattles on the inside I'll have to fix. Some vibrations around 60mph, and I'm hoping it's just balancing issues. Had the car been in my city I might have passed on it, but I went through so much hassle to get it and it overall/mechanically is sound.

But like I said, the TL is built like crap. Doors were ready to fall off when you shut it, at 10k mile mark. Rattles rattle and rattles. The NAV screen has LOW resolution, so the graphics look like crap. It uses cheaper, lower grade plastics on the dash and speedo gauges. Like I said, the transmission has issues, serious issues. 2nd and / or 3rd gear synchros are designed crap. This is design flaw. Why use "GM Modified Synchromesh Trans Fluid" on an Acura??? and it only *hides* the problem. It doesn't cure it permanently. The clutch is crap too. I ain't the only person got these issues. Check out acura forum archives and it's all over the threads. Acura refused to fix it till it was way too late. YOu do understand that the TL is built in America? TSX is built better and engineered better. With RL being the best in the Acura lineup (NSX excluded).
You were right, I was wrong, etc. etc.

Fortunately the engine / tranny are solid. Doors all shut solidly and are not rickety. But the squeaks! I must find all of the squeaks and destroy them. Have some extra money from the settlement so I will also be dynamatting.

PS - I miss the Lex. What a well-built machine. If I had the coin I'd have both, but the SC was too impractical as a DD.
Old 11-19-11, 11:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

While you're doing sound deadening, get some closed-cell foam. They're great for quieting the car down.

I recommend using Second Skin over Dynamat. Cheaper than the Extreme, but works just as well, if not better.