Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

to those with fast vehicles, how do you stand public roads!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 03:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I tend to do a fair amount of 100mph cruising but only on the totally empty desert roads on the way home. Its so empty you could cruise at 130 mph for minutes at a time. Now that I have a baby and another on the way I do a lot less of that but ,it still does happen from time to time
Old 11-10-11, 05:32 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
I would love to see a system put into place. Only during certain hours and during certain days of the week, the speed limit is no existent (as long as there isn't many cars on the road and you get a proper license to drive at twice the speed limit). It be a complicated system to put into place.

About 11 years ago. The highway patrol in Quebec went on strike for a while and I do not recall any car accidents. People were doing 200+ km/h on the highway late at night.

All I can really say is, if the Germans can do it, why can't we?

One thing I dislike driving the speed limit at times, when no one is on the road. It puts me to sleep / antsy, hence the reason I go over the speed limit. It keeps me awake and my brain thinking.
I am sure the Germans dont drive like US drivers lol. So many times people pull out into the passing lane as I am about to pass them doing 80 when they are doing 55 to pass someone else doing 50. That would end up as a nasty crash if I were any faster. We will need way better drive ed and driving etiquette before we allow drivers to drive fast.
Old 11-10-11, 05:34 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikez
I am sure the Germans dont drive like US drivers lol. So many times people pull out into the passing lane as I am about to pass them doing 80 when they are doing 55 to pass someone else doing 50. That would end up as a nasty crash if I were any faster. We will need way better drive ed and driving etiquette before we allow drivers to drive fast.
When some putz does that, I start flashing them with my high beams.
Old 11-10-11, 07:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I tend to do a fair amount of 100mph cruising but only on the totally empty desert roads on the way home. Its so empty you could cruise at 130 mph for minutes at a time. Now that I have a baby and another on the way I do a lot less of that but ,it still does happen from time to time
You've just posted the classic reason why, all else equal, insurance is often cheaper for those who are married and/or have children than for singles.

Congratulations, BTW, on #2 coming-up. I guess one more and you'll be asking me to review minivans.
Old 11-10-11, 07:19 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My Z isn't superfast but not bad at around 340whp still with stock dp and cats. Now being 30 years old it's no longer fun to be stupid. Actually it stopped being fun a long time ago when all my buddies got out of fast car scene. I do occassional WOT pulls on wide open roads or when getting on the freeway but I rarely hit 90mph on the highway nor I look for random street race. Having said that I can't wait to install dp and tp after smog is done. It's good to know I have close to 400whp. For everyday driving I prefer our soft riding ML350.
Old 11-10-11, 08:24 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to be going faster than traffic around me because it keeps me alert at all times. I find that the moment I start going the same speed as everyone else I become a lot less aware of my surroundings, which I think was a big cause of a wreck that I was in last June (loud music can only do so much to keep me focused when I'm sitting in gridlock).

When I speed I do NOT do anything excessive (> 15-20mph over the limit) when there are other vehicles around since I still need ample time to react to the stupidity that plagues many Atlanta area drivers and I rarely ever go above 85mph because of Georgia's "Super Speeder" law. I've been pulled over for speeding 4 times and only got a ticket once.
Old 11-10-11, 09:22 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

what is this "speed limit" you talk about?

........... j/k
Old 11-10-11, 09:58 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't speed as nearly as much as I used to when I had my STi with about 450awhp. Several years and a couple tickets later, I'm more cautious and alert with my driving and I only speed when the highway is empty. I dont speed in my Lexus but I occasionally do in my dinan'd X5.
Old 11-10-11, 10:13 PM
rs/ss
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I have switched to luxury cars rather than trying to tune a car to be as fast as possible . Over time you realize that you use the luxury of the vehicle far far more than the sport side. I live in AZ with open roads and the LS cant be topped for comfortable high speed cruising. You rarely get a chance to really push the car hard through corners so the comfy high speed characteristics are very desirable.
I get back to my home state often and have to say the quality of the roads in the 602 state are a welcome change to the crap roads we have here. I rented a Sentra and it felt like i was driving a Rolls (like I'd know what that felt like). I would gladly trade you some twists and turns for the surface you drive on. I drove into a pot hole in my IS that made my ears pop. I know own a GX 460 and although I miss the IS i don't miss the unfaverable conditions. My Aloha to the Valley of the Sun.
Old 11-10-11, 11:12 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just got me another speeding ticket about 2 hours ago after getting off work and now i see this thread lol. this is my 3rd speeding ticket this year smh.
Old 11-10-11, 11:37 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is why I have switched to luxury cars rather than trying to tune a car to be as fast as possible . Over time you realize that you use the luxury of the vehicle far far more than the sport side. I live in AZ with open roads and the LS cant be topped for comfortable high speed cruising. You rarely get a chance to really push the car hard through corners so the comfy high speed characteristics are very desirable.
Same here, my AMG is super quiet and comfortable to drive every day, but on occasion I am free to unleash 500+hp. Just listening to that beautiful V8 howl under WOT is therapy for me. Between the massive police cutbacks here and my GPS radar detector I rarely have any issues. I do NOT advocate speeding and driving like a moron. But on a nice morning at 5am on my way to work with no traffic I will let her get a little loose.

If I were forced to drive a boring, underpowered econobox everyday I'd kill myself.
Old 11-11-11, 05:59 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300_704
just got me another speeding ticket about 2 hours ago after getting off work and now i see this thread lol. this is my 3rd speeding ticket this year smh.
Third this year??? Whatever you're trying to do to make the cop let you off clearly isn't working lol.
Old 11-11-11, 10:11 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

normally with bumper-to-bumper traffic in the city, it's almost impossible to go fast. at most, i go 10 kph over the speed limit if i get the chance. i've noticed my reaction time isn't as good as it used to be, so i do try to drive at the speed limit with plenty of braking distance in front of me.

what really irks me though are the slow pokes who deliberately drive slower than the speed limit with no traffic in front of them, and they are not pulling into the right hand lane to let faster traffic get by. in turn, you get traffic jam as the slow poke is oblivious to what's behind him. under this circumstance, it really ticks me off (and i momentarily use the hov lane to by-pass).
Old 11-11-11, 01:53 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Damn thats a bit extreme. Who the hell stops on a green? I have yet to see that.
Old 11-11-11, 02:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Damn thats a bit extreme. Who the hell stops on a green? I have yet to see that.
stay in socal for 2 weeks

Quick Reply: to those with fast vehicles, how do you stand public roads!?