Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Hyundai Veloster

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-11, 03:32 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hyundai is going to pass Toyota and Honda at this rate......... I worked for a a Toyota dealer and the guy also owned a Hyundai dealer. The sonata was destroying Camry in sales.
Old 11-11-11, 03:33 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got back from the Sacramento Auto show (small time auto show, but you get to sit in all the new cars without being bothered, biggest hit at the show as the Fisker Karma though) and took a good look at the Veloster.

I didn't care much for the interior, the seats were good but the location of everything was a tad odd. The view out the back wasn't too bad but there is a HUGE blind spot cause of the body design. Forward visibility seemed good.

There were other cars that impressed me more in this class/price range, I'd even consider the Accent or Rio over this after taking a good look at those too. But I'd probably pick the Sonic due to its turbo motor and better seating position/visibility and usability.
Old 11-11-11, 04:31 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
I didn't care much for the interior, the seats were good but the location of everything was a tad odd. The view out the back wasn't too bad but there is a HUGE blind spot cause of the body design. Forward visibility seemed good..
The right rear blindspot is scary as ****. You lose about a foot because the way it is designed I'll have to get use to it quick or I will for sure be getting into an accident. I was going to say this would be a good car for beginners, but it won't because of the blindspots.
Old 11-11-11, 04:49 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JessePS
The right rear blindspot is scary as ****. You lose about a foot because the way it is designed I'll have to get use to it quick or I will for sure be getting into an accident. I was going to say this would be a good car for beginners, but it won't because of the blindspots.
Someone made the comment about the 370z earlier in the thread... The 370z is horrid compaired to the Veloster

But ya, that blind spot is rather large, a lot of the current crossovers have this issue though even some SUV's (Murano comes to mind).
Old 11-11-11, 05:18 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by L3XOTIC
Hyundai is going to pass Toyota and Honda at this rate......... I worked for a a Toyota dealer and the guy also owned a Hyundai dealer. The sonata was destroying Camry in sales.
October Sales:
Camry: 22, 043
Sonota: 18,192

Old 11-11-11, 05:18 PM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Did they have a turbo model of the Veloster on display at the show?...or don't you remember? It seems unclear, from the literature, whether they will market one or not.
They didn't have a turbo model on display, however they did have this blue one on a turntable. I don't think it was any different from the one they had on the floor. I listened to the whole presentation the rep put on, and he made no mention of a turbo model coming out. I did read that a turbo model may come out, but I don't think Hyundai has made any official announcement on that..

Old 11-11-11, 05:33 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

What is funny the guy at the dealership told me today, that two people wanted to buy the car from me. I should have asked him to contact the people and see how much they were going to try and buy the car from me. I just wonder how hard it would be, to have the car re-aligned or something. Seeing it is a pain driving and I can feel the weight on one side more than the other.
Old 11-11-11, 06:08 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Had you waited for an iQ, unless you wanted a car that could literally be parked almost anywhere (like the Smart-for-Two), I think you would have been disappointed. The iQ will (likely) be a somewhat better-built (and slightly larger) competitor to the Smart, but still basically a toy car.

However, I know some people still are considering one, and I have at least one or two CL-member review-requests for it, so it's on my review-list.

Scion had planned to introduce the iQ in stages, across the country, starting on the West Coast this fall, and reaching the East Coast by spring.

Forgot to mention, one of these was at the Autoshow today too!

It was... odd. They tried to make it Scion-ish with bright colors and lots of interior lighting and a fancy radio. Didn't work IMO.

The size/look is better than the Smart, and the interior quality is better than the Smart by far. But I don't think it will catch on, it wasn't getting much attention at all from the crowds...
Old 11-12-11, 08:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

That's because Toyota, over a period of years, let the Camry's interior and former build-quality significantly deteriorate. That slide seems to have been at least partly-addressed now, especially with the new Camry's interior. In the meantime, for several reasons (at least IMO), the new Sonata is a step-down from the last-generation model. That's also the case with the new Hyundai Tucson (IMO). But the Veloster seems solidly built....I was significantly more impressed with it than with some other new Hyundais.

When more people see and drive the new Camry, I think it will start to pick up some sales (once again) from the Sonata.
Old 11-12-11, 08:53 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I just got back from the Sacramento Auto show (small time auto show, but you get to sit in all the new cars without being bothered, biggest hit at the show as the Fisker Karma though) and took a good look at the Veloster.

I didn't care much for the interior, the seats were good but the location of everything was a tad odd. The view out the back wasn't too bad but there is a HUGE blind spot cause of the body design. Forward visibility seemed good.
Tha main problem with the rear window-visbility is the big cross bar that divides the upper/lower hatch-lid. the thick, drop-down C-pillars on either side also create big blind-spots.

There were other cars that impressed me more in this class/price range, I'd even consider the Accent or Rio over this after taking a good look at those too. But I'd probably pick the Sonic due to its turbo motor and better seating position/visibility and usability.
The Sonic, from strictly a design stance, is a good choice. I reviewed one a couple of weeks ago and was quite impressed with it. It was easily the best sub-compact GM car I've seen yet. But, of course, it is a brand-new design, and long-term reliability is not known.
Old 11-12-11, 08:56 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 6 year old Camry outsells the brand new Sonata every month....FYI....
Old 11-12-11, 09:09 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

At the end of the day, it's about reliability and quality, if you want to sell to the masses. If Hyundai can do that, then possible. But right now, I don't foresee Hyundai surpassing the big 2 in terms of quality and reliability.
Old 11-12-11, 10:54 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by doublehh03
At the end of the day, it's about reliability and quality, if you want to sell to the masses. If Hyundai can do that, then possible. But right now, I don't foresee Hyundai surpassing the big 2 in terms of quality and reliability.
Hyundai, several years ago, already surpassed the big 2 in some areas, particularly with Toyota. And that has what has alarmed Toyota...they are trying to do something about it now. We see it, this year, in a substiantially-improved new Camry.
Old 11-13-11, 10:41 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Forgot to mention, one of these was at the Autoshow today too!

It was... odd. They tried to make it Scion-ish with bright colors and lots of interior lighting and a fancy radio. Didn't work IMO.

The size/look is better than the Smart, and the interior quality is better than the Smart by far. But I don't think it will catch on, it wasn't getting much attention at all from the crowds...
My first car was the 2004 Smart Fortwo it was an epic piece of ****. Riddled with transmission problems, which scared the **** out of one of my fathers friends when he drove it one night.

Anyways lets see how it goes with this car, I already put on like over 200 km on it and I've had it since Friday, 1pm.

Last edited by JessePS; 11-13-11 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-13-11, 11:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by JessePS
simple solution - get a pair of those blind spot convex mirror discs and stick them on the mirrors. they don't look out of place at all and they work perfectly, and for about $3, problem solved.

Quick Reply: MM Review: 2012 Hyundai Veloster