Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Review: 2012 Hyundai Veloster

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-11, 12:49 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
simple solution - get a pair of those blind spot convex mirror discs and stick them on the mirrors. they don't look out of place at all and they work perfectly, and for about $3, problem solved.
I will look into those
Old 11-13-11, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

simple solution - get a pair of those blind spot convex mirror discs and stick them on the mirrors. they don't look out of place at all and they work perfectly, and for about $3, problem solved.
Ford is putting those little convex-discs, in a corner/square-shape, on some of their newer cars (I noticed them on both the Fiesta and the new Focus, and mentioned it in my reviews). I agree they are better than a standard mirror, but, IMO, are not a real substitute for proper rear-visibility to start with. And they only show you what's on the sides......not a kid or a bicycle directly behind the car.

BTW, that is one reason (among many) why I like the Forester and Outback so much...the superb rear-visibility. And I do a lot of backing in and out of parking-lots every day.

That's one reason, especially in vehicles with poor rear-vision, why back-up cameras are becoming so popular...they are often standard with the NAV package. Currently, the American government is considering making back-up cameras standard in all new cars...though, to my knowledge, the ruling isn't yet final. I personally think a more sensible solution is to just make them standard in vehicles that don't pass a government rear-vision test, instead of saddling all new car-owners with that extra expense.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-13-11 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-14-11, 01:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I might (?) be shopping with an old friend for a new Veloster later this week or next week. He has a 10-year old Accent (just a basic commuter car) that he has been very pleased with, and was considering a brand-new Accent. But Accents have gone up significantly in price in the last few years......to the point where he thinks a couple of extra thousand for a base-level Veloster might be worth it. Of course Accents, though, are being dealer-discounted........Velosters, due to new-model-demand and short-supply right now, probably not.
Old 11-15-11, 10:52 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1. I've had these mirrors on every car that I've owned and think it should standard equipment of every car. Who needs fancy electronic monitoring gizmos when this works just as well.
Old 11-16-11, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
+1. I've had these mirrors on every car that I've owned and think it should standard equipment of every car. Who needs fancy electronic monitoring gizmos when this works just as well.
Problem is......they do expend the field of vision, but warp and distort the image while doing so. I'm not sure if they actually do more good than bad.
Old 11-17-11, 08:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
I wil l look into those
Isn't that what you usually do with mirrors?

(Just kidding)
Old 11-17-11, 10:03 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Isn't that what you usually do with mirrors?

(Just kidding)
HAHAHAHA very funny
Old 11-17-11, 04:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Already there are Veloster forums out there. Seems the members can't agree, though, on when or if the turbo is coming....and Hyundai has not verified a date on the website (yet).

http://www.veloster.org/forum/8-hyun...ease-date.html
Old 11-18-11, 09:25 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

I am all prepared for winter.
Old 11-18-11, 09:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS

I am all prepared for winter.
If you're going to drive with nice wheels like that in the winter, make sure you wash as much salt off of them, as soon as possible, both outside and inside. It's harder to do the inside of the wheels, but you can usually reach at least part of them with a hose-spray if you aim the hose around the wheels. Of course, make sure the temperature above freezing when you use the hose so you don't get ice. And, if possible, try not to follow or stay too close to vehicles like dump-trucks or salt-trucks that are notorious for tossing out salt-lumps and gravel-particles that can damage pant and alloy-wheel finishes. With low-profile tires like that, potholes and sharp bumps can also, in some cases, cause wheel-rim damage, because there's not much tire-height to protect them.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-18-11 at 09:10 PM.