Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What cars have you driven this year?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 08:40 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Did those Hilux's have the 3.0 liter diesel? How peppy were they?

I was amazed in the philippines to see that rangers, hiluxes, and etc were running with little diesel engines.
Old 11-15-11, 10:10 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Did those Hilux's have the 3.0 liter diesel? How peppy were they?

I was amazed in the philippines to see that rangers, hiluxes, and etc were running with little diesel engines.
I have NO idea, the Hilux Surf looks identical to a 4runner, and the Hilux D4-D looks kind of like a crew cab tacoma. Both are RHD, both are manual, the Surf is a gas engine, and the D4-D is a diesel, I believe the 3.0. The D4-D was pretty quick, definately torquey. I had 2 500lb tire/wheel assemblies in the back and it just laughed and did 40mph.

Believe me when I say, driving RHD is weird enough, but the first time I ever drove one, it was a manual. Lets just say it wasnt pretty.

The Land Cruiser is the nicest one, has woodgrain trim, and navigation, but plain old steel wheels and no privacy (tint) glass. Weird. Still the smoothest riding, quietest diesel I have ever seen/heard/driven. I believe it is a 4.6D V8.

Last edited by ArmyofOne; 11-15-11 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-15-11, 11:06 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RX300
Camry 2004 & my new 2012
CR-V
Lincoln MKT
Accord
A lot boring compared to you guys!
Old 11-15-11, 11:50 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, ArmyofOne and Rominl, I like both your list , but of course the others as well.
Old 11-15-11, 02:30 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
I have NO idea, the Hilux Surf looks identical to a 4runner, and the Hilux D4-D looks kind of like a crew cab tacoma. Both are RHD, both are manual, the Surf is a gas engine, and the D4-D is a diesel, I believe the 3.0. The D4-D was pretty quick, definately torquey. I had 2 500lb tire/wheel assemblies in the back and it just laughed and did 40mph.

Believe me when I say, driving RHD is weird enough, but the first time I ever drove one, it was a manual. Lets just say it wasnt pretty.

The Land Cruiser is the nicest one, has woodgrain trim, and navigation, but plain old steel wheels and no privacy (tint) glass. Weird. Still the smoothest riding, quietest diesel I have ever seen/heard/driven. I believe it is a 4.6D V8.
Are the shift patterns backwards on the right hand drives?

That would drive me insane.
Old 11-15-11, 03:11 PM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

regular rotation: IS300 (mine), Fit Sport (hers), GL450 (ours)

also drove: GLK, C300, G37S coupe, V6 Mustang, Explorer, Beetle, tC, 8th gen Civic, E46 3-series, Trooper, MDX, Tundra, GMC UHaul box truck (LOL)

i miss driving manual
Old 11-15-11, 03:31 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
lexus lfa
lamborghini sv
rr phantom
some others, but compared to above they are "worthless", haha
Damn, and you said you need to hang out with me to drive cool cars?

All I drove was DB9, Arnage, F355, Continental Flying Spur, CL63, S5, CTS-V.......those are the ones worth mentioning, or I remembered.

The entire line of Porsche lame's models currently on sale at their drive event and all the regular AMG models. They are too boring to mention.

How is the Phantom? I always want to try one because I have yet to find a car that beat my LS430 in smoothness, quietness and overall refinement. The Continental Flying Spur matched it, but can't beat it, I start to think it is not humanly possible to make a car quieter and smoother then a LS430. Phantom, Ghost and Mulsanne are the last 3 that have a chance of beating a LS430. The Arnage is an old design, is much louder and rougher then a LS430.

Last edited by BNR34; 11-15-11 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-15-11, 03:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Too many cars to count, I help around at my uncle's shop so I drive all of the car's for a test drive before and after the repair. Obviously, no LFA's have shown up. Not too many exotic cars come in for repairs.
Old 11-15-11, 03:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusChris
Wow, ArmyofOne and Rominl, I like both your list , but of course the others as well.
Originally Posted by BNR34
Damn, and you said you need to hang out with me to drive cool cars?

All I drove was DB9, Arnage, F355, Continental Flying Spur, CL63, S5, CTS-V.......those are the ones worth mentioning, or I remembered.

The entire line of Porsche lame's models currently on sale at their drive event and all the regular AMG models. They are too boring to mention.

How is the Phantom? I always want to try one because I have yet to find a car that beat my LS430 in smoothness, quietness and overall refinement. The Continental Flying Spur matched it, but can't beat it, I start to think it is not humanly possible to make a car quieter and smoother then a LS430. Phantom, Ghost and Mulsanne are the last 3 that have a chance of beating a LS430. The Arnage is an old design, is much louder and rougher then a LS430.
hahhaa it's a stroke of luck i guess. i don't i will be driving anything north of 200k at all again

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-event-wa.html

post 5 and 6 (sv and phantom)

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...-the-drive.php

lexus lfa

the phantom is interesting. it's very heavy, you totally feel it. it feels even heavier than my s550 (and the s already feels pretty heavy). the hood on the phantom is so long and the engine seems so far away from you, you really don't feel much from the engine. the ride is smooth and quiet, but i don't think it's significantly different from the ls. handling though i think it's better than the ls, as long as you get used to the length of the car (VERY long). inside i think it beats the ls, as long as you are away from the driver seat. that's what the car is about anyway, being the passenger, especially the one in the back
Old 11-15-11, 04:31 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

hahhaa it's a stroke of luck i guess. i don't i will be driving anything north of 200k at all again

the phantom is interesting. it's very heavy, you totally feel it. it feels even heavier than my s550 (and the s already feels pretty heavy). the hood on the phantom is so long and the engine seems so far away from you, you really don't feel much from the engine. the ride is smooth and quiet, but i don't think it's significantly different from the ls. handling though i think it's better than the ls, as long as you get used to the length of the car (VERY long). inside i think it beats the ls, as long as you are away from the driver seat. that's what the car is about anyway, being the passenger, especially the one in the back
Great review and nicely written! I agreed with everything you said, we think in the same way I think

Your descriptions of the Phantom remind me of my Arnage driving experience, feels huge like a small SUV/crossover.

You got a S550 to replace your M3?

I would love to meet Sir-mix-a-lot, I love his music!

Last edited by BNR34; 11-15-11 at 04:35 PM.
Old 11-15-11, 05:35 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-event-wa.html

post 5 and 6 (sv and phantom)

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/n...-the-drive.php

lexus lfa

Where is your S550 thread? When did this happen?! I want to see your review of your S550 Congrats tho. It must be nice...
Old 11-15-11, 06:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Great review and nicely written! I agreed with everything you said, we think in the same way I think

Your descriptions of the Phantom remind me of my Arnage driving experience, feels huge like a small SUV/crossover.

You got a S550 to replace your M3?

I would love to meet Sir-mix-a-lot, I love his music!
sir-mix-a-lot is totally awesome. hanging out with him for the day and i laughed so much my mouth muscles felt sore but that was quite a day driving those insane cars (and super scared...)

Originally Posted by STIG
Where is your S550 thread? When did this happen?! I want to see your review of your S550 Congrats tho. It must be nice...
lol nothing to be excited about, it's a used 07. will make another thread soon about my impression on the car, especially i had the ls460l before.

but no, it's not replacement of the m3 it replaced my gs350 just fine m3 is still going and a suv will fill its place

didn't say it out loud because i went from dark to darker side. god knows if i would be crucified here, haha
Old 11-16-11, 01:35 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have a long list of different cars that I drove in the past year, but I did take a short spin in one of the worst cars I've driven in the past decade: Smart ForTwo. My domestic mechanic sells used cars and he had one on his lot. I had read about the funky SMG tranny, but it was downright scary when pulling out onto a 50 MPH road. The 3 cylinder engine is already slow and when it decides to shift all power disappears, you're thrown forward in the seat, it leisurely shifts, and what little power there is, returns. Whatever you do, don't look in the mirror and see your impending death approaching quickly. The interior comfort and space in the car was OK as a commuter car. With practice, I could smooth out the shifts by forcing manual gear changes, but it was still deathly slow.

The lady that works the desk at my mechanic's shop said it wasn't very smart of them to put a Smart on the lot. After everyone got a good laugh with it, they traded it to another dealer.
Old 11-16-11, 07:23 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Are the shift patterns backwards on the right hand drives?

That would drive me insane.
Yep...And it does.
Old 11-16-11, 09:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

You guys see a lot (though not all) of the cars I sample each year. I write and post reviews for most of them right here on CAR CHAT.

Quick Reply: What cars have you driven this year?