Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on Scion, Prius

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 07:15 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Scion, Prius

So how bout this?

For a long time I've thought that Toyota miscalculated with these 2 car lines.

Scion, supposedly Toyota's effort to reach out to a younger market, has never been an unqualified success. But really, Scion products don't truly distinguish themselves very much from those of the Toyota lineup.

Prius, on the other hand has become a roaring success. It has become synonymous with the word "hybrid". Now Toyota is expanding the Prius line and the marketing is interesting. Prius seems to have become a stronger sub-brand than Scion. It's now natural to say one drives a Prius, not a Toyota Prius. The name has it's own brand cache and recognition.

I think Toyota should absorb all the Scion cars into the Toyota brand and make Prius a division all its own. That seems to be the way they're going anyway. It would be a stronger brand than Scion, not to mention that Prius products have attributes that are unique unto themselves.

In short, kill Scion and start Prius as a new Toyota division.
Old 11-15-11, 07:37 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with the Prius division. Prius can kick it up a notch. It can be a unique brand that uses hybrid technology, electric vehicles, alternative fuels & sources of power. It already has it's own "face" compared to other Toyota products, so it can work.

Scion needs to be a stand alone brand. I think their mantra has been watered-down in recent years. Scion was supposed to be functional, affordable, quirky, fuel efficient, and easy to maintain & modify. However, Scion is becoming pricier, ho-hum, with thirsty engines and more complex powertrains. Scion needs to dumb it down. Scion needs to look at Hyundai to show how quirky design and frugal engineering can be pulled of.
Old 11-15-11, 07:44 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be in favor of this. I think Scion was a stupid idea from the start.
Old 11-15-11, 08:24 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I agree MPLexus, Scion was intended to be a target to the younger crowd, but it failed. The whole point of a tuner is to tune it, not buy it already modded. It would possibly have taken off if A) the prices were lower, and B) the car was easily tunable (like older hondas), not already tuned from the factory.
Old 11-15-11, 08:55 AM
xioix
Racer

The idea of Scion and how it started off was done well, but Toyota never really committed to the fast changing models and having more younger inspired cars
Old 11-15-11, 10:02 AM
Trexus

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Hopefully it'll change when the Scion IQ and FR-S comes out.
Old 11-15-11, 11:03 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Trexus
Hopefully it'll change when the Scion IQ and FR-S comes out.
It might, but I just don't see the point of Scion at all. If Toyota is trying to freshen its image then make all these sportier, more youthful cars Toyotas.

I say Prius is more viable as an off-shoot brand than Scion.
Old 11-15-11, 11:58 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by xioix
The idea of Scion and how it started off was done well, but Toyota never really committed to the fast changing models and having more younger inspired cars
I agree with this. Hopefully the FR-S is a sign of things to change
Old 11-15-11, 02:21 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Don't Scions have some of the best re-sale value out there? I thought I read a while back that they were tops in their respective categories. That leads me to believe there is still significant demand for the Scion lineup.

Also, please don't expand the Prius lineup. There are already too many drivers out there that can't tell the difference between their speedometer and their gas gauge. Driving at 50mph on the highway so you can get 60mpg does not mean you are doing the speed limit.
Old 11-15-11, 04:16 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by anthrax144
Don't Scions have some of the best re-sale value out there? I thought I read a while back that they were tops in their respective categories. That leads me to believe there is still significant demand for the Scion lineup.

Also, please don't expand the Prius lineup. There are already too many drivers out there that can't tell the difference between their speedometer and their gas gauge. Driving at 50mph on the highway so you can get 60mpg does not mean you are doing the speed limit.
hahaha what!?! I've never heard of that, but I'd believe it
Old 11-15-11, 09:26 PM
Marzabella
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It is telling that the one Scion model they sell in Australia, the Rukus branded Scion xB, is almost exclusively purchased by pensioners.
Old 11-15-11, 09:55 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Scion started out with unique ideas and goals. Scion was suppose to introduce new models every 4 yrs with interesting, youth oriented vehicles. Instead, they started using focus groups in designing the 2nd gen Xb. It became too heavy, too big, and lost it's soul. 2nd gen Xb should have been named something else and the 1st gen Xb should have kept it's original concept. Look at the Japanes bB. That should have been our current Xb.

When Scion did its focus groups, it essentially became Toyota again. That's why Scion has lost it's way trying to please the American masses, which always want bigger and faster. I loved the 1st gen Xb, hated the 2nd gen.

Part of Scion's high resale value is attributed to the 1st gen Xb, check out the price of a used 1st gen Xb.

Bring back quirky, interesting, unique designs. Keep it light weight, simple, and frugal. Let Toyota please the masses. Scion should be a niche brand for new car buyers that as they become older and more conservative, move into Toyota.
Old 11-16-11, 11:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by bsl888
Scion started out with unique ideas and goals. Scion was suppose to introduce new models every 4 yrs with interesting, youth oriented vehicles. Instead, they started using focus groups in designing the 2nd gen Xb. It became too heavy, too big, and lost it's soul. 2nd gen Xb should have been named something else and the 1st gen Xb should have kept it's original concept. Look at the Japanes bB. That should have been our current Xb.

When Scion did its focus groups, it essentially became Toyota again. That's why Scion has lost it's way trying to please the American masses, which always want bigger and faster. I loved the 1st gen Xb, hated the 2nd gen.

Part of Scion's high resale value is attributed to the 1st gen Xb, check out the price of a used 1st gen Xb.

Bring back quirky, interesting, unique designs. Keep it light weight, simple, and frugal. Let Toyota please the masses. Scion should be a niche brand for new car buyers that as they become older and more conservative, move into Toyota.
high resale value is because these are JDM Toyota's.... real deal.

When someone writes how xD sucks, it means they really dont like the Toyota of old...
Old 11-16-11, 09:29 PM
LexFather

I said from day 1 Scion wasn't needed. Sales though were very strong initially then tapered off and have not recovered. They are small/quirky but ain't that fuel efficient.

To me I just don't understand why Toyota sometimes complains about its age group but then gives other brands the sporty or young cars. Why the FTS is going to be a SCION is beyond me?

Old 11-17-11, 04:26 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Scion wasn't needed and Prius as it's own brand isn't either.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Scion, Prius