Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda to boost vehicle and engine production in Alabama

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11 | 04:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Honda to boost vehicle and engine production in Alabama

Honda to boost vehicle and engine production in Alabama

Honda seems to believe that America's car-buying slump is coming to a close. According to Automotive News, the automaker has announced that it will spend $84 million to grow engine and light truck production at its Lincoln, Alabama assembly plant. The money will be used to help create an additional 100 jobs and should see the facility increase its total output from 300,000 units per year to 340,000 in anticipation of a sales recovery in the States. Automotive News suggests that may be a smart move. Consumer demand for new cars and trucks has grown by around 10 percent through October of this year.

Honda expects that demand to translate into greater Odyssey, Pilot and Ridgeline sales. Each of those models is produced at the Alabama facility, though the Acura RDX may join that mix as part of the new investment.

The Japanese automaker has also said that it will resume its normal production schedule at its North American facilities as its supply line continues to recover from the impact of flooding in Thailand.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/15/h...on-in-alabama/
Old 11-15-11 | 04:09 PM
Hoovey689

the automaker has announced that it will spend $84 million to grow engine and light truck production
I'd rather see them put that money into their R&D department and develop a new V6 to replace the ancient J-Series V6
Old 11-15-11 | 09:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I'd rather see them put that money into their R&D department and develop a new V6 to replace the ancient J-Series V6
I'm not sure I agree. Right now, Honda/Acura, IMO (though they won't acknowledge it), has far more problems with their (newer) styling and interiors than with their drivetrains. In fact, most of their drivetrains are durable enough to often reach 200,000+ mile life-times with proper care. But their styling can sometimes be enough to double as a Halloween costume.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-15-11 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-15-11 | 09:42 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I'm not sure I agree. Right now, Honda/Acura, IMO (though they won't acknowledge it), has far more problems with their (newer) styling and interiors than with their drivetrains. In fact, most of their drivetrains are durable enough to often reach 200,000+ mile life-times with proper care. But their styling can sometimes be enough to double as a Halloween costume.
I can understand that. Their assembly and longevity have stood true. What bothers me is Honda who used to be an innovator, has become so stagnant and are falling behind.

Subjectively speaking, I just can't stand Honda. Their mentality when it comes to design and engineering is so delusional and dated (there's a perfectly good 6-speed to replace the 5-speed). Quite frankly I'm glad their sales goals aren't being met, because they need to do a better job of offering products that consumers want to buy rather than feel they need to buy just because society deems "reliability and fuel economy" important. I should add, I'm all for the aforementioned, but things like design and engineering and safety and fun factor should be counted as well. Looking at you "revised" civic..

I've said it time and again. Honda is stuck in the past. With their super conservative views in regards to design and engineering built on "if it ain't broke don't fix it", I just don't see how they can evolve. With companies such as upstart Hyundai with RWD, V8, 8-speed, and adding a "fluidic" design language (I don't personally like it but it has electrified the line-up), Ford with it's "kinetic", and Lexus with it's "L-Finesse" designs as just a few examples. The exterior and interior of their products have become more modern and streamlined. Honda on the other hand is a mystery box of shapes and bulkiness and a dash of awkwardness.

Honda to me is like a child star actor who never grew up. (for what its worth its a lot of automakers are going through this design identity crisis ie Mazda, BMW etc..) but Honda in particular needs to "find themselves" before they lose themselves.

Back on topic, it'll take more than $84 million to help this company.