Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wait until next year, says Lexus to the competition

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 08:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
This is an exciting time for Lexus/Toyota
By FAR the most exciting luxury brand from Asia is Lexus. Deal with it.

Old 11-16-11, 09:43 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to see the next gen IS!
Old 11-16-11, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Slvr surfr
If the LS isnt world class again, Lexus will be in trouble i think. Its the car that all other makers pay attention to whether they want to admit it or not.
i think the ls is quite head to head. when the ls came out in 07 it blew the s and 7 out of the water. the problem, just like other lexus, is consistency over the years. ls sales dropped off pretty quickly
Old 11-16-11, 11:05 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Much of the article is BS excuses to save face. I do not believe inventory shortages are directly responsible for their decling sales. Lexus's models are old and overdue for replacement. That is the MAIN reason numbers are down. Sure the disasters did not help with selection, but what cars dealerships did have, were still not moving swiftly. It is popular and common for many manufacturers to blame things on outside reasons, but realistically, most major brands are built strong enough to weather natural disasters without huge sales consequences. I've noticed over the last four years many companies jumping right to the, "it's not our fault, we had a natural disaster" excuse. Now if there's a downpour, the whole world has to come to a stop. BS. In general, this is weak and has rarely been a legit factor in the last twenty years of auto building.
Old 11-17-11, 02:37 AM
js619858
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Much of the article is BS excuses to save face. I do not believe inventory shortages are directly responsible for their decling sales. Lexus's models are old and overdue for replacement. That is the MAIN reason numbers are down. Sure the disasters did not help with selection, but what cars dealerships did have, were still not moving swiftly. It is popular and common for many manufacturers to blame things on outside reasons, but realistically, most major brands are built strong enough to weather natural disasters without huge sales consequences. I've noticed over the last four years many companies jumping right to the, "it's not our fault, we had a natural disaster" excuse. Now if there's a downpour, the whole world has to come to a stop. BS. In general, this is weak and has rarely been a legit factor in the last twenty years of auto building.
I think your partially right!

On the other hand I don't think Lexus made up the Law Suits and the stupid pedal recall that made bigger news than it should have been. Also Earth Quakes and Floods can't be made up. Japan is a small country and congested, so recovery will take longer. Overall, there sales are down because of old models but come one it's only been a couple of months that they lost sale numbers out of 11 years!
Old 11-17-11, 04:35 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What's this old model junk you guys are talking. The current Benz S class has been around about 10 years and people still buy it although it had a jillion recalls.

The current CL seems like it's been around 8 years as well...with minor refreshes. The SL seems likje it's been around 12 years with a headlight change in the middle.

Those might be too long. I like the way Lexus has been doing things in that regard. Models last long enough to keep cars from being dated too quickly but then changes them before things get stale.

The Camry and Accord seems to change every 3 years. That would **** me off. That's not how it's done with higher end cars.

Look at the 911. Basically the same shape forever. It just gets bigger.
The new Bentley coupe barely changed.

Frequent change is not the key to success. There was a quake in Japan. The economy sucks in the US. There are reasons sales decreased that don't signify the need for panic and upheaval.
Change is not always good. The car pictured above for instance. I believe it's the new GS sport or GSF (not really paying much attention). I'd be shocked if that thing sells well. The front looks like the Predator wearing a Darth Vader helmet.

Last edited by Ice350; 11-17-11 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-17-11, 06:01 AM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ice350
What's this old model junk you guys are talking. The current Benz S class has been around about 10 years and people still buy it although it had a jillion recalls.

The current CL seems like it's been around 8 years as well...with minor refreshes. The SL seems likje it's been around 12 years with a headlight change in the middle.

Those might be too long. I like the way Lexus has been doing things in that regard. Models last long enough to keep cars from being dated too quickly but then changes them before things get stale.

The Camry and Accord seems to change every 3 years. That would **** me off. That's not how it's done with higher end cars.

Frequent change is not the key to success. There was a quake in Japan. The economy sucks in the US. There are reasons sales decreased that don't signify the need for panic and upheaval.
Change is not always good. The car pictured above for instance. I believe it's the new GS sport or GSF (not really paying much attention). I'd be shocked if that thing sells well. The front looks like the Predator wearing a Darth Vader helmet.
The current S-class actually came out when the LS460 came out back in 2006. And the current CL came out in 2007.
Old 11-17-11, 06:52 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Its not even a new article bringing anything new to the table. We know that Lexus has issues and we knew they would not be #1 in sales in the USA this year, a position they don't even shoot after. Recalls, bad press, old product, the tsunami, better competition, Lexus got squeezed from all sides.

They are still 3rd with all that bad news. Quite amazing actually.

Regg that is b/c its a double standards. Lexus old cycles= bad thing. German old cycles= genius

I agree frequent change is not the key. What Lexus is doing which is smart is spreading out the new releses instead of them all within 2 years of each other.

Old 11-17-11, 06:56 AM
js619858
Pole Position

AGREED! If it's not broke, don't fix it. Some Lexus do need fixing!
Old 11-17-11, 07:20 AM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder... why do Lexus models like the GS and the LS seemingly take a nose dive in sales a year or two after the new model is released? Lack of marketing or front-loaded sales? The only model that is exempt from this is the RX it seems.
Old 11-17-11, 07:23 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mordecai
I wonder... why do Lexus models like the GS and the LS seemingly take a nose dive in sales a year or two after the new model is released? Lack of marketing or front-loaded sales? The only model that is exempt from this is the RX it seems.
Why don't you post sales figures up since 1993. I have a FEW times so I know that isn't completely accurate at all.

After you do that, then make that statement so its supported by documentation.

Thanks

Old 11-17-11, 07:38 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The current CL seems like it's been around 8 years as well...with minor refreshes.
The LS and S have similar life cycles. Both came out in 2006 as 07 models. The CL came out a year later. Where are you getting the 10 and 8 year numbers?

I'm excited to see what Lexus has in store. I'm liking the new GS more after seeing the F-Sport version. My only issue is when Lexus will be coming out with a proper coupe!??!! Bring back the SC, dammit and do it correctly!
Old 11-17-11, 08:34 AM
GS3Tek

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Regg that is b/c its a double standards. Lexus old cycles= bad thing. German old cycles= genius
I totally agree there.

And don't forget the new 7 series. It's been out wayyy in 02 and they barely made that much change with the current design, besides nostrils got larger and the muffin-top taillights
Old 11-17-11, 10:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I totally agree there.

And don't forget the new 7 series. It's been out wayyy in 02 and they barely made that much change with the current design, besides nostrils got larger and the muffin-top taillights
just because they look similar doesn't mean they are the same car right? 1ls and 2ls look kind of similar, same car? 996 and 997 and now 991 all look about the same, they are far from the "same". the e65/66 had a 6 yrs run, and the current f01/02 actually started in 09.

double standards is more or less a subjective view anyway. one fact i can say for sure is recent lexus models (outside of rx and maybe es) take quite a hit on sales numbers after 2 years or so after debut. that's one pretty interesting phenomenon that we don't see a lot on bmw and mb (there are examples, i am not saying it doesn't happen).

sometimes i wonder if it has anything to do with lexus having more "buyers" and lessees". buyers tend to keep their cars for longer, so when a new lexus model comes out, they switch (spike on sales) and then they drive the cars for years until next generation is here. but for bmw and mb, there are more people leasing the cars, so every 2-3 yrs they have to change up anyway.

from that sense, i don't know if it's a good or bad thing for lexus. regardless though, i think the bottom line is lexus needs to find a way to maintain consistency on their sales numbers on each model over years. to me this is pretty important in maintaining a steady brand image moving forward
Old 11-17-11, 01:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am happy to hear that they are waking up a little

Quick Reply: Wait until next year, says Lexus to the competition