Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wait until next year, says Lexus to the competition

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 01:51 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pushing off the IS and LS redesigns, as hard as it is for us to hear, only makes sense. Lexus' current problems have a lot to do with an aging line of sedans. SUVs and CUVs are nice but sedans are the core of the luxury market and Lexus' are long in the tooth now. If they redesign GS, ES, IS and LS within the next 12 months, like some here are wanting, we'd be in the exact same situaton in 2015/2016 with no "fresh" sedans to sell.

New GS comes out early next year
ES comes out late Q212, I think
IS is redesigned in early Q213 as a 2014 model
LS will get a refresh in Q312 as a 2013 model and completely redesigned in early 2014
Old 11-17-11, 01:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Pushing off the IS and LS redesigns, as hard as it is for us to hear, only makes sense. Lexus' current problems have a lot to do with an aging line of sedans. SUVs and CUVs are nice but sedans are the core of the luxury market and Lexus' are long in the tooth now. If they redesign GS, ES, IS and LS within the next 12 months, like some here are wanting, we'd be in the exact same situaton in 2015/2016 with no "fresh" sedans to sell.

LS will get a refresh in Q312 as a 2013 model and completely redesigned in early 2014
that's why i have always say lexus should even out the sedan refreshes so they have something "new" every year, rather than very cool for a yr and then....
Old 11-17-11, 02:17 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would claim "Lexus glory days are over".... seriously? Lexus is/was/will be on top of their game as far as I am concerned. People can feel safe "buying" a Lexus. Almost everyone I know with a new German car is leasing it for obvious reasons.
Old 11-17-11, 02:54 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Lexus needs forced induction, and diesel motors. I would love to see Diesel GX, and GS.
Old 11-17-11, 06:57 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

Wow that's kind of a let down. I was looking forward to the release of the IS like now since both the IS and 3-series came out at the same time.
Old 11-17-11, 06:59 PM
Lexuslvr91
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by STIG
I think Lexus needs forced induction, and diesel motors. I would love to see Diesel GX, and GS.
And performance AWD systems and RWD sport CUVs, and more V8 powered coupes, and a couple of "4-door" coupes.
Old 11-18-11, 11:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Mark Templin, Lexus General Manager, is positive that next year will be a "big year," citing that four redesigned Lexus sedans will be launched in 2013.
except next year is 2012, not 2013.

this sounds a lot like an acura press release.

Originally Posted by mordecai
I wonder... why do Lexus models like the GS and the LS seemingly take a nose dive in sales a year or two after the new model is released? Lack of marketing or front-loaded sales? The only model that is exempt from this is the RX it seems.
RX buyers seek exactly what it offers. the GS/LS buyer is more of an emotional purchase, and it seems like the novelty/newness wears off pretty quick, but more importantly the refreshes haven't been great by adding bits of trim and chrome in sometimes a clumsy way. i think the IS refreshes have been successful though and to me, the IS remains a pretty current (and great looking) design even if it has faults like bad rear seat space compared to a 3 series, and no option of folding rear seats (another mistake imo), but the variety of IS models is impressive now, esp. with the f-sport options too.

the GS needs the 4GS badly, and the LS is now a bit long in the tooth - they really should have seriously revamped / upgraded the interior imo.
Old 11-18-11, 12:48 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
Wow that's kind of a let down. I was looking forward to the release of the IS like now since both the IS and 3-series came out at the same time.
Sure you were. Will you be purchasing one per chance?

Originally Posted by Lexuslvr91
And performance AWD systems and RWD sport CUVs, and more V8 powered coupes, and a couple of "4-door" coupes.
Performance AWD? For who exactly? RWD sport CUVs? Like the EX? Yeah thats a great market to enter. V-8 powered coupe? Agree. 4 door coupes? Its trendy.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

this sounds a lot like an acura press release.
o.
Thanks for the flame bait again on a Lexus forum. Its nothing like an Acura press release b/c while Acura just talks, Lexus walks. They have been stuck on 300hp since 2006, they are not even a luxury brand at this point.

Sadly a lot of the commentary is why its known come to CL to talk crap about Lexus.

Old 11-18-11, 02:35 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Thanks for the flame bait again on a Lexus forum.
you eviscerate others' comments and write scathing comments about any brand you see as inferior to lexus, such as infiniti, lincoln, acura, hyundai, etc. no question you're entitled to your opinions, but i don't believe mine was flame bait... i felt this 'news item' was just like items where Acura has basically said "just wait, we've got big plans". now they of course have yet to deliver. as for lexus, the unreleased 4GS is the only evidence thus far of what lexus plans, and while it has new sheet metal, interior, etc., it still has the same powertrains, and no v8, which i know you agree, is disappointing.

so i still see this article as "just wait, we've got big plans" and i'll wait and see!

Sadly a lot of the commentary is why its known come to CL to talk crap about Lexus.
clublexus is fair and balanced and isn't just for obsequious comments.
Old 11-18-11, 02:55 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

this sounds a lot like an acura press release. .
It's not that clear if he is talking about model year or calendar year ... 2013 "model year" cars can be available as early as next February .
For example the 4GS to be launched next February is going to be a 2013 model, not 2012.
Anyway, I don't think it makes that much of a difference whether they launch all 4 new sedan by the end of the next year as long as they have a schedule for them to be introduced in the near future ...
Old 11-18-11, 03:55 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
It's not that clear if he is talking about model year or calendar year ... 2013 "model year" cars can be available as early as next February .
For example the 4GS to be launched next February is going to be a 2013 model, not 2012.
Anyway, I don't think it makes that much of a difference whether they launch all 4 new sedan by the end of the next year as long as they have a schedule for them to be introduced in the near future ...
to me, it makes sense that he is talking about MY2013... We know about GS and we know that ES is only months behind it...
Old 11-18-11, 05:55 PM
LexFather

you eviscerate others' comments and write scathing comments about any brand you see as inferior to lexus, such as infiniti, lincoln, acura, hyundai, etc. no question you're entitled to your opinions, but i don't believe mine was flame bait... i felt this 'news item' was just like items where Acura has basically said "just wait, we've got big plans". now they of course have yet to deliver. as for lexus, the unreleased 4GS is the only evidence thus far of what lexus plans, and while it has new sheet metal, interior, etc., it still has the same powertrains, and no v8, which i know you agree, is disappointing.

so i still see this article as "just wait, we've got big plans" and i'll wait and see!

clublexus is fair and balanced and isn't just for obsequious comments.
And those comments are usually pretty accurate, I mean what I was saying ten years ago has happened to them

There is absolutely no connection with a brand that has shouted over and over new NSX, new V-8, RWD, new V-10, blah blah blah, horse/monkey crap, 305hp today from 300hp in 2005 (not 2006) with no hybrids, no supercars, 3 sedans and 3 SUVs, one a a bigger failure than the Hindenburg to Lexus, a brand that traditionally has said little and produced.

I said it before, not sure why this is even so big, its not rocket science sales will improve for Lexus next year unless more recalls/disasters happen.

If the man said "hey guys a RWD, V-8 car with 400hp came'" (oh wait Lexus has that) or said "hey guys a 550hp, 7:14 second exotic supercar is coming (oh wait Lexus has that) or said "hey 5 hybrids are coming" (oh wait Lexus did that)...

Let me start over

If Lexus didn't actually produce and wasn't FORWARD DOING (Lexus) and not just FORWARD THINKING (Acura) then you would have a great point.

At this rate there is absolutely nothing in common here and I took the bait. IMO

Old 11-18-11, 06:00 PM
sdls
Lexus Champion

Received 294 Likes on 242 Posts

Arg, I need the current LS to become a previous-gen model so that I can pick up an LS430 for $4000.
Old 11-18-11, 07:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by sdls
Arg, I need the current LS to become a previous-gen model so that I can pick up an LS430 for $4000.
the 3ls is standing pretty strong on the price though
Old 11-19-11, 06:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Much of Lexus' decline was because it had blown out its inventory just prior to the March earthquake in Japan, where all Lexus models are built except for the RX 350. Due to the brand's reliance on a production base in the country, its inventories were adversely affected until last month.
All the more reason, IMO, to stop the foot-draging and start building more Lexus products here in the U.S. Many Toyota models were built (and built well) at American plants such as Georgetown, KY, Lafayette, IN, San Antonio, TX, and the now-discontinued NUMMI plant at Fremont, CA . There is no plausible reason why Lexus-badged products can't be built here with American labor, either.

Quick Reply: Wait until next year, says Lexus to the competition