Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Wait until next year, says Lexus to the competition

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11, 08:37 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I am not sure if it is possible to gain 100,000 in vehicles sale in one year, that number seems a bit out reach.

The economy is not good and probably won't get better and the past sales (I think they were record sales) were when the 2007 models came out and we all know how easy credit was to get.

I say the sales will stay steady and won't increase, but they won't decrease either
Old 11-19-11, 08:45 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see a significant power bump in some of the optional engines. The horsepower wars have left Lexus in the dust.
Old 11-19-11, 08:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kamikaze2b
I'd like to see a significant power bump in some of the optional engines. The horsepower wars have left Lexus in the dust.
With the current trend, you might not see an increase in HP or options. The GS for example is going to have the same HP and one less (V8) engine option.
Old 11-19-11, 11:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
All the more reason, IMO, to stop the foot-draging and start building more Lexus products here in the U.S. Many Toyota models were built (and built well) at American plants such as Georgetown, KY, Lafayette, IN, San Antonio, TX, and the now-discontinued NUMMI plant at Fremont, CA . There is no plausible reason why Lexus-badged products can't be built here with American labor, either.
more reason for me to not choose lexus if that's the case. i kind of blew the rx350 out for that similar reason. i want my lexus to be built in japan. sorry but i do see a difference in the build. i won't go into details but let's just say i am not the only one seeing that
Old 11-20-11, 12:11 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

All the more reason, IMO, to stop the foot-draging and start building more Lexus products here in the U.S. Many Toyota models were built (and built well) at American plants such as Georgetown, KY, Lafayette, IN, San Antonio, TX, and the now-discontinued NUMMI plant at Fremont, CA . There is no plausible reason why Lexus-badged products can't be built here with American labor, either.
Yes, the plausible reason is that I want my Lexus built in Japan.
Old 11-20-11, 09:23 AM
LexFather

Except its not going to happen.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I am not sure if it is possible to gain 100,000 in vehicles sale in one year, that number seems a bit out reach.

The economy is not good and probably won't get better and the past sales (I think they were record sales) were when the 2007 models came out and we all know how easy credit was to get.

I say the sales will stay steady and won't increase, but they won't decrease either
If you read the article and saw what I stated, he means 100,000 increase for the ENTIRE SECTOR

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
With the current trend, you might not see an increase in HP or options. The GS for example is going to have the same HP and one less (V8) engine option.
Which is a completely inaccurate statement since the IS F came, the 562hp LFA came (ring ediiton, otherwise 552) and there will be more high power Lexus vehicles coming.

FYI one car, one example DOES NOT MAKE A TREND. This is a basic business principle.

Old 11-20-11, 09:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
Yes, the plausible reason is that I want my Lexus built in Japan.
then you're going to pay a really big price premium. especially as the u.s. dollar sinks much more.
Old 11-20-11, 10:35 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
then you're going to pay a really big price premium. especially as the u.s. dollar sinks much more.
Which is something that I would painfully swallow in exchange for the best possible quality out of a Japanese automobile.

You know it's interesting when one of the Lexus Manila execs told me that the Lexus RX is priced like this here because it was "made in Canada".

But when I checked the documentation, it was made in Kyushu :P

Which is great as I prefer a Lexus that is made in Japan (over the ones made in Canada or elsewhere).

Just saying
Old 11-20-11, 12:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Which is something that I would painfully swallow in exchange for the best possible quality out of a Japanese automobile.

You know it's interesting when one of the Lexus Manila execs told me that the Lexus RX is priced like this here because it was "made in Canada".

But when I checked the documentation, it was made in Kyushu :P

Which is great as I prefer a Lexus that is made in Japan (over the ones made in Canada or elsewhere).

Just saying
Please explain why the Japan made Toys.Lex are better?

There is actually no difference.
Old 11-20-11, 11:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i would rather pay the premium, otherwise it lowers my desire to get one by that much
Old 11-20-11, 11:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i would rather pay the premium, otherwise it lowers my desire to get one by that much
will you say the same to a benz made in alabama, or a bmw made in spartanburg, sc? what if the premium to buy japanese/german were about 30%?
Old 11-21-11, 12:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

will you say the same to a benz made in alabama, or a bmw made in spartanburg, sc? what if the premium to buy japanese/german were about 30%?
there is a reason why i am quite against the GL right now i will tell you that

same thing with the x3 and x5 (iirc).

so my answer is yes. my bottom line is, i take apart cars a lot and work on them, i look at a lot of details and cars from everywhere. of course i look at toyota and lexus more often. and to me, i see a difference between cars made in japan vs otherwise. though i also have to add, the past few years, the difference got smaller. not that US / canada made ones got better though, i will leave it at that

to me it doesn't make sense to have a number (30%) and see if it will be the threshold i take. i think it depends on what the car is and how i look at it.

if it's a car i don't really care (not to offend anyone, but say a minivan), i realy care less if it's made in japan or the US, sienna is just fine (although sorry to say but i am not a fan of the quality). if it's a car like the m cars? yes, i would pay premium even if it's 30% so that it's made in germany by the team who has been doing it for years. and you can get those in between.

when i look at lexus today it's plain simple. i don't even look at rx350, sorry but that's just the case. if i consider, it's at least rx450h because it's made in japan.