Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

yellow fog ticket. need input.

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-11, 11:08 AM
2cars4Trbo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow...i just put yellow fogs in today..sometimes I wonder...dont they have anything better to do?
Old 11-17-11, 11:17 AM
97JZA80
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope they avoid the tough stuff, at least around here....Easier to give tint tickets in the farmland than chase the murderers in the city.
Old 11-17-11, 11:21 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Some 3000k fogs look green. I don't know if it is the brand or they just take a while to warm up. You may be able to demonstrate the color if you saved the packaging.

Also, like the above MSP link says, fog lights are legal, you just can't have more than 4 lamps total lit at once between low beams, high beams, fogs, etc.
Originally Posted by TheDream
On the GS400, they appear green for the first 5 sec as they turn on then they become yellower. It's because when they turn on, they have a slight bluish hue and blue+yellow diffuser = green.

I'd show them the package as a last resort because, technically, modifying your lights is illegal.

You could show them pictures, and they could argue that you modified them, so maybe the only way to show that they're not green is to have an officer or a court official step outside and see them in person.
thanks. yeah that's why i wonder how much merit they would put on a photo. if not, i'll probably ask to have an official step out and see in person, assuming he/she is completely unbiased. and yeah i don't think any good can come out of showing the package. anyway towards the end the officer was telling me if something on the car doesn't look like every other cars on the road, then it's illegal.

Last edited by raptor22; 11-17-11 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-17-11, 03:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yellow foglights are legal, but I believe in many states you're not allowed to have fog lights turned on unless its actually foggy.

As far as green color, the 3000k HIDs do in fact appear green, unless you have yellow lenses in the fog lights. I suggest getting yellow overlays on ebay for a quick solution. I doubt a cop would bother you if they were yellow.
Old 11-17-11, 05:27 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 6000k hid put in my GS400 yellow fogs before, and guess what, it looked ghost green! I switched out right away and put in 3000K and they were just bright yellow. The cop just wanna give you a ticket. Maybe it's time to change them to GS300 clear fogs and have 6000K installed.
Old 11-17-11, 07:00 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I say the ticket bull and you fight it. oohpapi44, you always stick up for cops when these types of forums are involved. I say fight it and not pay anything cause thats what will happen. Yellow fog lights are not reason for a ticket, especially if stock cars came with them.
Old 11-18-11, 07:01 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gray_es300
I say the ticket bull and you fight it. oohpapi44, you always stick up for cops when these types of forums are involved. I say fight it and not pay anything cause thats what will happen. Yellow fog lights are not reason for a ticket, especially if stock cars came with them.
It's not sticking up for the cops, It's teaching young guys like you how to deal with facts and leave your emotions out of the situation. But this has nothing to do with other situations like modifications (of which 98% WE do are ILLEGAL).

You say fight it but offer NOTHING to him as ammunition so what is that going to do for him?

FACT:
- MSP website CURRENTLY lists the vehicle requirement stating that fog lights have to be white or amber
- OP who has HID's in fog lights received a ticket for having 'green' fogs.
- HID's do appear green until they warm up
- OP received a ticket for having illegal fogs and while not factual yet because OP hasn't provided the info, the ticket will state which regulation officer feels OP violated.

There hasn't been one posting here to contradict the officer's ticket that the OP can take to court.

Now if you take your emotions down a bit, you'll see that I didn't make a comment on the officer because I feel the ticket is asinine but I wasn't there so why comment? What I did post was a direct response to the OP's question of whether he can walk into court and argue that his fogs were yellow and not green. Based on the MSP website, the answer would seem to be no. Could he walk in and say that the fogs are factory yellow? Possibly and a common sense judge should dismiss the ticket outright. But that's at a judge's discretion and still doesn't directly refute the statute (which probably should be amended to read "or SAE standard" if it hasn't already but the website says what it says).

As for me sticking up for cops.... Seriously? Do some research on here or through NELOC members and see how I drive or how illegally my car is modded. The difference is, I drive and mod according to what I can afford to pay. It's called personal responsibility. When I speed, I know that most tickets are $5 for every mile over the speed limit and stay within my budget. When I modded my car, I took the time to READ the vehicle regulations to know what's illegal or not so that when I am stopped, I can have a discussion instead of being lectured to.

example:
Plate must be 12" from ground. My car rides about 2.5 inchest from ground
Sidemarkers must be amber or red. Mine are yellow to match the fogs
Tint must allow 70% of light in. I have limo in the rear and 35% in front. Yes I know that I can get a ticket for EVERY window
Cars cannot park on street with car cover unless it shows license, registration and inspection sticker. OEM Lexus cover just shows license but yet, my cover gets used frequently

Getting the picture? Mod what you can afford to pay in fines every time you drive or park your car. So how are cops the assh0les when every statute is clearly defined? I get annoyed when young guys ***** and whine like they have some REAL grievance against cops for doing their job. Your grandmother gets killed because some dirty cops searched her house with a bogus warrant (Eleanor Bumpers), you get a plunger shoved up your rectum (Louima), get shot because you reached for your wallet (Diallo) and then I'll feel your pain be the first one there with you protesting on the steps of city hall. But because some kid that's been driving for less than Kim K's marriage is upset because a LEO pulls over his illegally modified car "for no reason" and wants sympathy.... YAWN

And while I don't have any sympathy, I have no problem helping someone beat a ticket if I can. Hell I try to beat mine whenever I used to get them. But it's based on fact, not emotion and its a save if I do win because I've already expected to pay the ticket I've probably earned.

Dayum, all this before my coffee.... Guess I'll go straight a liquid lunch.

(Lol I have to laugh - no sooner than I finish my rant, I get a Notice of Summons in my inbox about a guy who damaged his front bumper claiming a parking lot wasn't up to code by not having a parking block installed to stop him from hitting the wall at the end of the parking space)

Last edited by oohpapi44; 11-18-11 at 07:10 AM.
Old 11-18-11, 09:05 AM
raptor22
Lead Lap

I'm sure the fogs were warmed up, since when I got ticketed, the lights woulda been on for like 45mins. The description is improper use of lights, and then in the remarks is where green is mentioned.

anyway, when i looked at the lights again after i got home, just to be sure, they were yellow (the typical HID light yellow or yellowish-whitish if you stare at it a little more straight on). The color projected on the ground though was obviously yellow. in any case, i might just get some yellow overlays as suggested to make it more solid yellow overall and eliminate any possibility of ambiguity. Somehow I feel that yellow would be ok; if not, he could have just put "yellow" on the ticket instead, or he wouldn't have asked the other cop if the lights looked yellow to him after i said they're yellow.
Old 11-18-11, 09:15 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by raptor22
I'm sure the fogs were warmed up, since when I got ticketed, the lights woulda been on for like 45mins. The description is improper use of lights, and then in the remarks is where green is mentioned.

anyway, when i looked at the lights again after i got home, just to be sure, they were yellow (the typical HID light yellow or yellowish-whitish if you stare at it a little more straight on). The color projected on the ground though was obviously yellow. in any case, i might just get some yellow overlays as suggested to make it more solid yellow overall and eliminate any possibility of ambiguity. Somehow I feel that yellow would be ok; if not, he could have just put "yellow" on the ticket instead, or he wouldn't have asked the other cop if the lights looked yellow to him after i said they're yellow.
And that's pretty much what he's going to say when he testifies and if you want to beat it completely, you're going to need to refute that. If it were me, I'd argue that they weren't warmed up yet and the lights aren't green but have a slight greenish hue until they do warm up. And show a standard equipment list to show the car comes with yellow fogs (I wouldn't mention HID's). You're allowed to question the officer and can always bring up that even he wasn't sure and felt a need to get a second opinion.

A lot of traffic judges aren't on the side of officers and will side with you if you present a legible argument. The burden of proof is on the officer.
Old 11-18-11, 12:43 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

It's like when i got ticketed for having tints on the back of an rx350 that were from the factory and the HID's that were from the factory . Or when i got pulled over for driving with windows down at 1am because the officer thought it was suspicious Fight the ticket and you won't get it. Most cops just do it because they can, i am not saying this because i am biased, but from what my dads patients who are cops tell me. All different villages/ towns, state and local have told me the same thing. Most of the time they just do it because it bothers them or because they can. I have the utmost respect for the law (when they don't abuse it) and unfortunately there are more cops who do things because they can rather then really watching out for the well being of a person.
Old 11-18-11, 02:09 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

thanks for the suggestions. yeah i definitely plan to fight it. However, the car doesn't come with factory yellow fogs, so i won't be able to show an equipment list showing that. Whether or not the rest of my argument/proof/etc is enough for the judge to side with me, i guess i'll just have to try and see.
Old 11-18-11, 03:22 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

If you lose, just tell the judge you are colored blind and will probably cut you some slack...
Old 11-18-11, 04:00 PM
seanlee
Driver

Originally Posted by newr
If you lose, just tell the judge you are colored blind and will probably cut you some slack...
lolz. and lose driver license in the process.
Old 11-18-11, 05:16 PM
anthrax144
Lexus Champion

Amber is YELLOW. If his foglights are yellow (hence, amber) then they are perfectly legal.
Old 11-18-11, 05:21 PM
Ty419
Lead Lap

Can you post a pic of the fogs at night, so we can see what they look like?