Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Happy Holidays, CL. MM Special Review: 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 03:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by rkyat
Excellent review,
Thanks.

If i had the $ and was in the market for a car in this class however, I'd still prefer a manual.
Most people driving a 300, even the SRT version, probably would not want to row their own gears, especially in big-city traffic. The sister SRT Charger does not offer a manual either, but the SRT Challenger, with the same engine, does. But the Challenger, of course, is a pony-car, not a big sedan or luxury-car......so you would expect a manual to be offered.
Old 11-20-11, 04:14 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
LOL, 50k for a Chrysler. Thanks, but no thanks.
Well, I LOL'ed the last-two-generation 300s myself. Not this one, though. Times change. And V6 models, BTW, start around 30K, even with options.

I agree, though, that just because there are big improvements in the fit/finish and interior materials, that doesn't necessarily translate into better reliability under the skin. Only time will tell......and I made a note of that in my review.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-20-11 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 04:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRTGS300
Another great review by MM as always .
Thanks.

I really like the new 300's. They look stunning and they perform well compared to the previous gen.
But will they hold up with good reliability? THAT's the big question....and we won't know for some time yet.

It will be even better with the 8 speed.
Eight speeds will probably give better MPG (and come in handy at Autobahn-speeds), but with the torque this powerplant has, six would probably do it for best-acceleration. Right now, the 5-speed is generally OK, but hampers the acceleration a little under some circumstances.
Old 11-20-11, 05:09 PM
LexFather

MIke thanks for taking your free time for every review and doing such a superb job. You don't have to do it, its selfless and thank you.

I started a thread here years ago saying how the 300C is my one of my fav American sedans and they did a great job with the new model. True it doesn't look very different but inside and with powertrains they did a great job.

Whats funny is I nearly started a thread last week b/c I was STUNNED at the pricing for this. I am sorry, great car but the price leaves me scratching my head.

So I went to check the SRT8 Jeep. Did yall know it starts at around $65,000!

They are making some great SRT products but I don't think the pricing will resonate with customers.

Old 11-20-11, 05:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice review ( as usual). The new 300 is a looker but 54k for the SRT8 is a little nuts. They did an amazing job refining the interior. Now if they can prove to be reliable that would make it a pretty decent ride
Old 11-20-11, 07:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
MIke thanks for taking your free time for every review and doing such a superb job. You don't have to do it, its selfless and thank you.
Thanks, Mike. I'm retired, though, with a good income, don't have to work all day or commute anymore, have at least some free time for reviews, am blessed with one of the most dense-network of new-car dealerships in the country close by (second only to SoCal.), and belong here to what is probably the best general auto-talk forum on the Internet, so, why NOT do reviews?

I started a thread here years ago saying how the 300C is my one of my fav American sedans and they did a great job with the new model. True it doesn't look very different but inside and with powertrains they did a great job.
Ths big question, though, (as I mentioned to other posters) is will it stay out of the repair shop this time? Only time will tell.....but many Chrysler products, in the past, have been pretty low on the ladder-rungs for reliability. The 5/100 and 4/50 warranties, though (and the optional lifetime warranty) should put at least some of those concerns to rest.

Whats funny is I nearly started a thread last week b/c I was STUNNED at the pricing for this. I am sorry, great car but the price leaves me scratching my head.
The new 300, though, except for a few small things like the cheap cargo-area trim, obviously cost more to produce than the old one did. Some of the interior materials, especially, seem to be close to Jaguar/Lexus/Audi in quality...unheard of in a Chrysler product in the past.

I agree that 50K+ is a steep price (more than I'd want to may for a new car), but, at least, this time, it doesn't seem to be buying junk. And, of course, V6 RWD models can be had around 30K.

So I went to check the SRT8 Jeep. Did yall know it starts at around $65,000!
The Jeep web-site shows a base $60,900 for a new SRT, but, yes, it would probably be 65K with a few options.

They are making some great SRT products but I don't think the pricing will resonate with customers.
They will probably sell in this area (D.C. Metro), because there is so much money and jobs......also in SoCal and maybe where you are in Atlanta and a few other areas. But, I agree, you won't likely see many sales in West Virginia, Arkansas, and many areas where people are chronically out of work.

Also, buying SRT products is one thing, but they aren't cheap to run either. Unless you constantly feather-foot them or drive only on long trips at steady-speed, gas mileage (on premium gas) will likely be in the mid-high teens...or worse.

(But, to be honest, that was the also case with my old Lexus IS300 and its straight-6, which had less than half of the SRT's power).

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-20-11 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-20-11, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Nice review ( as usual).
Thanks.

The new 300 is a looker but 54k for the SRT8 is a little nuts.
Perhaps............... (see my replies to other posters on that issue). But that chunk of cash doesn't seem to buy junk any more.

They did an amazing job refining the interior. Now if they can prove to be reliable that would make it a pretty decent ride
Agreed. And reliability questions, more so than price, may prevent a number of potential buyers from taking home a new 300. It's one thing the redo a body and interior with more quality......another matter to prove a long-term quality increase. It took Hyundai and Kia, for example, a number of years to do that.
Old 11-21-11, 07:23 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done.. had a Charger rental for the weekend... surprising, even better than my test drives.

I'd would like to test this beast out...

Good job Mike!!!
Old 11-21-11, 07:31 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those saying 50k for a Chrysler is too much (because of the brand), what other sedans are laying down 465hp for 50k?
Old 11-21-11, 08:26 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Well done.. had a Charger rental for the weekend... surprising, even better than my test drives.

I'd would like to test this beast out...
Good job Mike!!!
Thanks, Russ.

When you sit inside of a 300, it is anything BUT a beast. You are coddled in some really nice materials. The only problem with the SRT model, though, if you are heavy, is that the big side-bolsters don't fit too well with portly torsos and rumps. The lesser 300s, with different, less-sport-oriented seats, genrally don't have that problem.
Old 11-21-11, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.P.
For those saying 50k for a Chrysler is too much (because of the brand), what other sedans are laying down 465hp for 50k?
Good point. The only other American-market sedan I can think of at or under this price-to-power range is, of course, its own Dodge SRT-Charger cousin. The 580-HP Camaro ZL-1 starts at 54K, and Dodge SRT Challenger at 45K, but they are pony-cars, not premium-sedans sedans like the 300. Shelby Mustangs with 550 HP start out in the 48-53K range, but, because of dealer mark-ups, you are not likely to make a deal on a Camaro ZL-1 or Shelby-Mustang for anywhere near list price.
Old 11-21-11, 09:27 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So from this point, it's more of benefit of the doubt.

I am however willing though to be convinced if Chrysler can prove me wrong in that their new 300C SRT8 would win me over.

Because simply put: If I were to choose only between two and I can only pick one or the other only, then it's either the 300C SRT8 OR the Hyundai Genesis R-spec 5.0 sedan.

I'm wondering between those two, which is the better vehicle?

Old 11-21-11, 11:18 PM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
So from this point, it's more of benefit of the doubt.

I am however willing though to be convinced if Chrysler can prove me wrong in that their new 300C SRT8 would win me over.

Because simply put: If I were to choose only between two and I can only pick one or the other only, then it's either the 300C SRT8 OR the Hyundai Genesis R-spec 5.0 sedan.

I'm wondering between those two, which is the better vehicle?

That would actually be a good comparo. Maybe a magazine will do it soon
Old 11-22-11, 08:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rkyat
That would actually be a good comparo. Maybe a magazine will do it soon
I may review a Genesis R-spec later, but, right now, I'm backed up with a lot of other review-requests as well.