Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar to launch all-wheel-drive sedans within two years

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11 | 02:28 PM
Hoovey689

Default Jaguar to launch all-wheel-drive sedans within two years

Jaguar to launch all-wheel-drive sedans within two years

With the X-Type standing as a rare exception, for the entirety of its history, Jaguar has meant rear-wheel drive. Want drive at all four corners? That's what its sister brand, Land Rover, has been for. But not everyone who wants luxury with foul weather prowess wants an SUV. In fact, a growing number of luxury sedan buyers look for power channeled to all four wheels, and Jaguar apparently thinks it can no longer afford to sit by and watch those buyers go to the likes of Audi (with its iconic Quattro models), BMW (with its xDrive offerings) and Mercedes-Benz (which offers 4Matic on several models).

As a result, a new story from Autocar indicates that Jaguar is preparing to launch all-wheel drive versions of the XF and /or XJ sedans. The move is targeted specifically at "the snowbelt of America," where Jaguar reportedly believes all-wheel-drive vehicles account for some 70 percent of sales.

The development of an all-wheel drive system is likely being conducted in conjunction with Land Rover, and is expected to arrive within the next two years. The project is being given a higher priority than the development of hybrid propulsion, since Jaguar estimates that its buyers are more willing to pony up for an extra set of driving wheels than a battery pack and a pair of electric motors.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/21/j...hin-two-years/
Old 11-21-11 | 03:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

I could have sworn the XF and XJ already had AWD options.

It's necessary to be competitive in today's sport saloon market...
Old 11-21-11 | 04:54 PM
Vladi
Pole Position

Company that has one of the most advanced AWD setups has yet to implement them into their cars.

This tells you a lot about management.
Old 11-21-11 | 05:57 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

AWD is clearly popular up north but also gaining popularity in states that are warm as people feel "safe" with AWD....It also allows high power cars to put the power down better with a loss of fun.

Good move.
Old 11-22-11 | 05:15 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vladi
Company that has one of the most advanced AWD setups has yet to implement them into their cars.

This tells you a lot about management.
Hmm.....Jaguar has one of the most advanced AWD setups? In what sense? In reference to the discontinued X-type (or via their sister company Land Rover)?

Anyways, I would vote for AWD. XFR with AWD, XJ S/C V8 Supersport with AWD and even XFR with AWD.

AWD brings even more awesomeness for Jaguar (and this can also apply to another car company)
Old 11-22-11 | 07:49 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hmm.....Jaguar has one of the most advanced AWD setups? In what sense? In reference to the discontinued X-type (or via their sister company Land Rover)?

Anyways, I would vote for AWD. XFR with AWD, XJ S/C V8 Supersport with AWD and even XFR with AWD.

AWD brings even more awesomeness for Jaguar (and this can also apply to another car company)
Jaguar=Land Rover

Old 11-22-11 | 07:53 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by Vladi
Jaguar=Land Rover

No.

Sedan chassis ≠ SUV chassis.
Old 11-22-11 | 02:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Great move by Jaguar. I am surprised that in all of these years they havent done AWD on the sedans.
Old 11-22-11 | 02:51 PM
Hoovey689

AWD makes them more versatile and alluring to buyers in this class of vehicle
Old 11-22-11 | 06:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Bleh... AWD sedans usually sit a few inches higher than their RWD siblings, and generally drive like FWD cars.

No thanks.
Old 11-22-11 | 07:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AutoUnion
They drive like FWD cars if they have FWD-biased AWD systems. Some Lexus/Toyota systems, Acura SHAWD, VW Haldex for example.

Audi and BMW both have rear biased AWD systems (Quattro/Sport Quattro, xDrive)
Regardless of bias, once you start pushing a car with mechanical AWD system, it's going to have some of the handling negatives of a FWD car. This is why you'll never see a respectable sport sedan (AMG, F, ///M) with AWD system.

AWD systems with electro-magnetic clutches controlled by computers, such as those pioneered by Nissan and Acura, do not have those negative traits, but many purists still prefer RWD.
Old 11-23-11 | 08:55 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
Bleh... AWD sedans usually sit a few inches higher than their RWD siblings, and generally drive like FWD cars.

No thanks.
Hehe I respect your opinion but I would have to disagree with you on this one.

I reckon that anyone who lives in snowy areas would find RWD-only as a turn-off. This was what also what hampered the C63 AMG coupe when it rained during the track while Tiff Needel was driving it (and as to why it had a huge gap over the Audi RS5).

In any case, I'm not dissing against the RWD drivetrain in any way. However, you can't discount the merits of AWD either.

The Lexus LS also came into mind for me with this issue.. Personally, I'd never get an LS460L in RWD form and i'm glad that the LS600hL is AWD-only.

Just my two cents on this
Old 11-23-11 | 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Great move by Jaguar. I am surprised that in all of these years they havent done AWD on the sedans.
They tried AWD on the X-Class sedan and wagon, but then dropped both of them from the American market. Beats me why ...the sedan, at least, was selling, especially in my D.C. area..
Old 11-23-11 | 09:28 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Hehe I respect your opinion but I would have to disagree with you on this one.

I reckon that anyone who lives in snowy areas would find RWD-only as a turn-off. This was what also what hampered the C63 AMG coupe when it rained during the track while Tiff Needel was driving it (and as to why it had a huge gap over the Audi RS5).

In any case, I'm not dissing against the RWD drivetrain in any way. However, you can't discount the merits of AWD either.

The Lexus LS also came into mind for me with this issue.. Personally, I'd never get an LS460L in RWD form and i'm glad that the LS600hL is AWD-only.

Just my two cents on this
LS600h is AWD because of the hybrid drivetrain, I believe it has electric motors driving front wheels directly, controlled by computers.

Traditional mechanical AWD systems just do not work for performance cars... Thats why Audi's can never hold a candle to BMWs in performance tests. You get all the negatives of RWD coming into the corner, and all the negatives of FWD coming out of it

For every day driving in snowy areas, its nice to have AWD, but then you have to carry all that extra weight all year round, and have ugly high stance. All my cars are RWD, and I find that here in NYC, RWD is fine with winter tires. It doesn't snow all that much, and usually the roads are plowed within a few days. Personally, I'd rather get a beater 4WD Hilux for those few winter days than deal with compromises of AWD sedan every day.