Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

C&D Long Term Wrap up of the Infiniti M56S...ouch

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 08:45 PM
LexFather

Post C&D Long Term Wrap up of the Infiniti M56S...ouch

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...d-test-wrap-up

If you are not aware this car is on the Q45 level of flopping 1 1/2 years old and they only sold over 650 or so cars last month with a 60 day supply. Lease deals are not nearly as aggressive as in the past and that isn't helping since they depend on that.

This review sums of its issues and some glaring quality issues which don't help its cause and most of it is similar to my review when it debuted.

This performance does nothing to elevate the lagging behind Japanese marques in this class and doesn't help the V-8 case at all. Bravo for them offering it but they think the M37 might be the better choice. The V-8 pulls with authority and is the best thing about the vehicle. It is simply an endless torque monster.

Sadly the car is also another case that Sport and Harsh are not the same things. The endless desire to go sporty is ruining some cars. It is harsh on near 350Z levels with the sport package. This car isn't really as sporty as you would think and they rather the non-sport model. Having been in the new GS, it is without a doubt the much better performer IMO. In 1 1/2 years I have yet to see any modded ones in person and only maybe 4-5 tops on the internet, enthusiasts simply are not clamoring to it. There is hardly any aftermarket support.

Finally pricing (MSRP) as I stated in my review is simply out of touch with reality. At 68k people are 100% going with established marques. Shame they did so well with the previous generation and all that momentum has stalled.

This does not help Lexus as you would think. We need the Acura RL and Infiniti M35/56 to kick absolute *** with the GS to elevate the Japanese marques in this class. With all 3 struggling from the older RL/GS to the nearly new M this is discouraging.

It is up to Lexus and the next GS to once again show the Japanese can compete well in this class and that is going to be one tough battle.

2011 Infiniti M56S

A classic study in being careful what you wish for.

OCTOBER 2011 BY TONY SWAN MULTIPLE PHOTOGRAPHERS

One look at the stylish 2011 Infiniti M56 was enough to whet our appetites. Then the spec sheet—showing the car’s optional V-8 (a 95-hp boost versus its comparo-winning M45 predecessor)—whetted them more.  And the performance results in our M56 road test [June 2010] pretty much sealed the deal. We needed to see how this aggressive update on Infiniti’s top-drawer sedan (now that the Q45 has vanished) would stand up to the not-so-tender mercies of  Michigan roads for 40,000 miles.

Lots of muscle, head-turning sheetmetal, gorgeous interior, and lots of tech goodies: What could possibly go wrong? We anticipated a communion of unalloyed joy, 40,000 miles of pure driving pleasure. A long-legged thoroughbred created to make miles disappear at wholesale rates, simultaneously making its driver look forward to the next hundred—or thousand—miles with anticipation.

That summarizes our expectations as the M56S joined our long-term test fleet.

The reality was something else. Over the course of almost 16 months and 41,693 miles, the suite of advanced electronics (adaptive cruise, lane-departure warning and prevention, blind-spot warning and intervention, collision warning, brake assist, adaptive headlights, “eco” mode) bundled into the $3000 Technology package had more hiccups than a champagne aficionado on New Year’s Eve.

Everyone who tried the “eco” setting, which physically limits gas-pedal travel to save fuel, reported that one try was enough and never used it again. The adaptive cruise control went through cranky episodes when it refused to set—the only way to bring it back online was to stop, shut off the ignition, and start up again; basically, to reboot. It got old. The same can be said for a loss of traction-control function, which, consistent with Murphy’s Law, occurred midwinter.

Dashboard warning lights, with cryptic labels—“4WAS” and “IBA”—were frequent and defied interpretation without referring to the owner’s manual. On a couple of occasions, the dashboard lit up like a pinball machine, a digital rebellion that ultimately led to the replacement of the car’s ECU, which took almost a month. This measure diminished—but did not entirely eliminate—the dashboard light show.

Of the Tech-package elements that worked reliably, several proved to be a source of irritation. In addition to the “eco” mode, the lane-keeping features—lane-departure warning and active departure prevention—were a little too zealous, although at least these could be defeated. The collision-warning system had a similarly low panic threshold, and for once we found ourselves wishing we’d listened to our man Aaron Robinson, who had warned against ordering this package in our road test. He summed it up as “anti-fun software,” a characterization that proved to be more accurate than he imagined.

When not ablaze with warning lights, the instrument panel is handsome.
Robinson labeled the $3650 Sport package as a “maybe,” but that’s another box we wish we hadn’t checked. It includes 20-inch cast aluminum wheels (startlingly expensive at $1539 each; how do we know? Don’t ask), shod with 245/40 Bridgestone Potenza RE050A performance tires, high-perform*ance brake pads, four-wheel active steering, sporty front trim, bucket seats with more lateral support, and, of course, stiffer suspension tuning.

It’s this last element—the firmer suspension—that we regret. The steering didn’t make everyone happy—quick (2.5 turns lock to lock) to the point of dartiness, not much tactile info—and we expected slightly better grip (0.87 in the final test). But the combination of stiff suspension and low-profile tires added up to ride quality that made just about everyone unhappy. The word “harsh” appeared regularly in the logbook.

The heavy wheels, unyielding suspension, and patchwork Michigan pavement also combined to put more impact energy into the body shell than it could manage, and as the miles mounted, this produced a small chorus of creaks and rattles that were not at all luxurious. And those weren’t the only unwelcome noises. The M56S had been in our care for only a few months when logbook reports began to include mention of low-grade mechanical sounds—one driver characterized it as “mooing.” Despite a number of complaints, our dealer’s service department was unable to find a problem, nor were the techies able to diminish the noises, which persisted throughout the rest of the test.

On a splendid late May day, at 3410 miles, the sunroof dutifully opened, then steadfastly refused to close, an irritation amplified in direct proportion to the length of time required to restore function: 27 days. That’s how long it took Infiniti to get a new sunroof motor to our dealer’s service department. All told, it was not exactly a triumphal track record.

The one aspect of the M56S that no one complained about—The gutsy 5.6-liter V-8.
Of course, there were some positive notes. Power, for example. The M56S is propelled—vigorously—by a 5.6-liter, DOHC 32-valve direct-injection V-8: 420 horsepower at 6000 rpm, 417 pound-feet of  torque, mated to a seven-speed automatic offering a manual shift mode. Put the pedal to the floor, and the M56S responds with a riptide of torque, a gratifying asset for exploiting tight seams in freeway traffic, even though some found throttle tip-in to be touchy.

Our M56S achieved its best acceleration results in its first visit to the test track with 1347 miles on the clock: 0 to 60 in 4.7 seconds, the quarter in 13.2 at 108 mph. That’s unusual; most engines loosen up toward the end of a long-term tour. Then again, 4.9 seconds to 60 and a 13.5-second quarter-mile at 107 mph isn’t likely to produce a ho or a hum.

Braking, augmented by high-friction pads ($370), was strong from the first test (165 feet from 70 mph) to the last (161), though there were a couple of complaints about noise, and we had to replace the front pads at 35,713 miles.

Styling was another strong suit, inside and out, although not as widely seductive as the car’s power. But the nav system—a standard feature—won consistent praise, and the 16-speaker Bose premium audio system helped make some of  the car’s glitches a little more tolerable. Then again, as part of a $2000 option package that included Infiniti’s Forest Air system, which varies dashboard-vent airflow to remind occupants of woodland breezes (sans bear odors), the performance of the audio system should rival the New York Philharmonic in Carnegie Hall.

The “S” is for sport, an option package we regret having ordered.
Which brings us to costs. The various electronic problems we encountered were covered by warranty, and the tab for five
routine service visits came to a not-unreasonable $729. But nonwarranty work ran substantially higher. The damaged wheel, a cracked windshield ($1121), various repairs ($920), and replacement tires (Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position XLs for $1435) added $5015 to operating expenses, and fuel added another $6780 (the EPA forecast 16 mpg city and 25 highway; we averaged 20).

We can’t blame the M56S for the costs of the wheel or the windshield. But it’s hard to avoid disappointment with the litany of problems and irritations encountered in a sedan at this price level.

Mr. Robinson was right. We should have voted “hell, no” on the Technology package. We should have voted no on the Sport package, too. And it’s a good bet that life with the standard 10-speaker Bose audio—as distinct from the super 16-speaker system that goes with the Sport Touring package—would have been tolerable. Even with the absence of  Forest Air.

Delete all the extras, and you have a $58,415 M56, a car with the same power, more comfort, and fewer headaches.

Then again, one test driver wondered if we’d have been better off going with the M37 and its 330-hp, 3.7-liter V-6—$47,925
base, $50,075 with four-wheel drive (2011 prices). At the end of the road with this M56S, we can’t help thinking that would have been the better choice.

Old 11-21-11, 09:36 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I really like this car, but would also probably spend my money elsewhere. Curious how the M56S competes against a Genesis Sedan R-Spec 5.0
Old 11-21-11, 11:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Poor Infiniti. Just can't seem to get out of limp mode.
Old 11-22-11, 05:52 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

From the write up it doesn't seem like it's a bad car. Just sound like Infiniti over did the car with too many options they didn't properly test. The car definately has power and a nice sound system. The major reason I don't like the car is b/c I feel the previous model look 2 times better.

Last edited by rogers2; 11-22-11 at 06:47 AM.
Old 11-22-11, 06:35 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd still choose an M56S (with NISMO package) over say a 300C SRT8.
Old 11-22-11, 08:05 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a lemon. Shame since I think the M looks really good inside and out.

I thought the M was the better of the two compared to the current GS, but the upcoming GS seems vastly superior.
Old 11-22-11, 08:27 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The M35/37 has always been the better choice, value, features and ride quality-wise, than the V8 M. No surprise there. The M could certainly be a better car and I do believe that the BMW 5 is a better car all around.

Then again, this is C&D. The same mag that people don't like because it goes out of it's way to praise BMW while ragging Asian cars... Lexus included.
Old 11-22-11, 10:36 AM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, very unforgiving long term review.

I'm having a hard time believing that the ride with the sport package is as bad as they describe it, but Japanese car manufacturers in general have yet to master the ride/handling equation.
Old 11-22-11, 12:00 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by meowCat
I thought C&D is biased towards BMWs and Acura's.

Lately, it seems that Acura's stock has gone down over at C&D.
Old 11-22-11, 12:23 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never liked the M56 design, even in sport trim. And as nice as the interior is, just don't feel it at all.
Old 11-22-11, 12:28 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Never really care to read these long term test reviews cause the car is nothing more then a glorified rental that gets beat on daily

I like the car, seems no different then the 5 or E, expensive car to own and maintain, the later being something most don't do
Old 11-22-11, 01:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I drove the car right after it was released and loved it but then again when you test drive I am usually more into how it feels. I dont usually have enough time to start playing with the techy features
Old 11-22-11, 09:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Auto magazines are finally learning the lesson I've been saying for years (they've openly admitted it here)....that the endless obsession with sportiness in the chassis is simply ruining a lot of otherwise nice cars. Ride comfort is all but being ignored today.

This also verifies something else I said several years ago...that Infiniti should have designed a REAL flagship to replace the ill-fated Q45, not just have fallen back on their existing M-line.
Old 11-22-11, 10:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to admit that even though my last 2 cars have been lowered and have been tweaked with aftermarket sway bars, I am loving the way my current LS460 rides with stock suspension. It feels so nice. I have learned that you enjoy the luxury more than the sport 98% of situations.
Old 11-24-11, 10:09 PM
Kamikaze2b
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I have to admit that even though my last 2 cars have been lowered and have been tweaked with aftermarket sway bars, I am loving the way my current LS460 rides with stock suspension. It feels so nice. I have learned that you enjoy the luxury more than the sport 98% of situations.
Agreed, my 370Z beat me to death! My E63 has the airmatic adjustable suspension that I use in comfort mode 90% of the time, but it also allows two other stiffer settings for more spirited or agressive driving.

Quick Reply: C&D Long Term Wrap up of the Infiniti M56S...ouch