Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers A bumpy road for Fiat 500

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 09:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If MINI Coopers can sell, so can the Fiat 500.

Both are niche products. Both can crawl up to $30k easily with options and packages. People who buy MINI and Fiat are not the most frugal: you might as well buy a Yaris or Versa if you want something cheap.

What's wrong? Fiat's unproven (or proven in Europe) reliability. Depreciation (MINI's don't suffer as much; Fiat will). Marketing (see notes above). A sense of community and pride (MINI and Scion has this niche market covered).
Old 11-22-11, 09:49 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

I saw the Gucci Fiat 500 at the L.A. Auto Show.

That's what I would get. With matching Gucci model and luggage.

Old 11-22-11, 10:02 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gucci chick is way better than Jennifer Lopez!!
Old 11-22-11, 10:09 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

The J-Lo adds are completely bogus. As if she actually drives around in one of these little things.
If Tiger Woods could drive around for years in Buicks, I think J-L could handle a 500.

One thing I don't agree with, though, is trying to sell cars by using models or voluptuous-looking women. Cars are NOT women.....nor, IMO, is there any conection between the two, even in cars as classy as a Jag XKR or Aston Martin. Yes, I know I made a comment, when I reviewed the Jag XKR convertible last year, that driving it was like dating a supermodel, but I am not a salesperson actually trying to sell cars. And it was only an idle/facetious comment on my part, not a serious comparison.

This video, for example, of trying to sell the Abarth with a borderline-sexual-content ad (and marginally NWS) just makes the Fiat marketers look like morons.

http://vimeo.com/32318970

IMO, they don't need this kind of crap on videos to sell the 500...when you drive one, either you will like it or you won't. For the most part, I did.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-11 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-22-11, 10:15 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Originally Posted by mmarshall

This video, for example, of trying to sell the Abarth with a borderline-sexual-content ad (and marginally NWS) just makes the Fiat marketers look like morons.

http://vimeo.com/32318970
I love that commercial.
Old 11-22-11, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I love that commercial.
Well, sure, the girl is a looker, but will the commercial itself actually sell Abarths? Methinks not. They will sell on their own merits.
Old 11-22-11, 10:54 AM
seanlee
Driver

Originally Posted by Alucard
I actually like the little thing and hope it does well.

Here in San Diego I've seen quite a few driving around, but not as many as I thought I'd be seening on the road by now.

The main problem is that it is NOT a family car. Back seat is only for luggage or pets. It works as something for a single person or couple with no kids and is quite fun.

Advertising (especially TV) should have played to the Italian sports car vibe and history instead of the J Lo fashion accessory theme.
with all due respect, the car is probably targeted at female audience (their money, after all, is much easier to grab). i will very much doubt the male customer for this car is ANYTHING close to 20% of total buyer. playing italian sports car vibe and history will do absolutely nothing to help out the car sales.
Old 11-22-11, 11:03 AM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marketing is all wrong, j-lo ads do not come across as authentic and are trying to hard
Car is high priced for what it is
You can eat the price if the MPG amazing, it isn’t
You go for the size often because of the MPG, failure
First in to win, they came to a game late and at the wrong time in the market
Only so much room in this market space because of our life style and vastness of North America

They have a tough road ahead.
Old 11-22-11, 11:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by J.P.
Marketing is all wrong, j-lo ads do not come across as authentic and are trying to hard
Car is high priced for what it is
You can eat the price if the MPG amazing, it isn’t
You go for the size often because of the MPG, failure
First in to win, they came to a game late and at the wrong time in the market
Only so much room in this market space because of our life style and vastness of North America

They have a tough road ahead.

J Lo is hot right now and the timing is right for her to do the ads.The ads get more attention because she is in them.Even i paid more attention and I dislike the car.
Like mentioned above,it's a 'chick car' and she will help sales with the 18-25 girl group.
I saw many models at the NY Car Show and wasn't impressed.
A suicide box to me.I wouldn't let a loved one drive it.
Old 11-22-11, 11:59 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

I think their marketing group should emphasize on this car's orgin: Italy. Since it is the only affordable Italian branded vehicle currently being sold in the U.S., buying it would make the owner special. By the way, selling more than 15000 units a year for such a niche car isn't that bad. I could easily find many models from many brands that sold way less than that. Plus, the brand and car is still very new to Americans. Give it some time the sales might pick up. Mini sold slightly more than 47000 units in the U.S. in the first ten months this year, with cooper, clubman, countryman in the lineup, after so many years growing in the country. I would say Fiat is doing pretty well, just not as well as Chrysler's expectation.
Old 11-22-11, 12:06 PM
J.P.
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J Lo is hot right now and the timing is right for her to do the ads
You may be right, but the last marketing roundtable I was at, everyone thought is was a poor idea.....
Old 11-22-11, 12:07 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
J Lo is hot right now and the timing is right for her to do the ads.The ads get more attention because she is in them.Even i paid more attention and I dislike the car.
Like mentioned above,it's a 'chick car' and she will help sales with the 18-25 girl group.
I saw many models at the NY Car Show and wasn't impressed.
A suicide box to me.I wouldn't let a loved one drive it.
The ads get attention but that's it. There's no hard reason to follow-through and actually go see the car. If the big thing behind this thing is that J-Lo looks cute in it then that is pretty flimsy marketing. The car and brand are practically unknown quantities here in the states. Cute and boutique chic are not enough in a market where with Scions, Minis, and yes, VW beetles are a much more familiar proposition. Mini is sold in conjunction with your local BMW dealership, Scion at Toyota and Beetles at VW. Really, the 500 is all about style and little else.

And I have to wonder... do fashionable and not so fashionable women really want a car like this?
Old 11-22-11, 12:20 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
The ads get attention but that's it. There's no hard reason to follow-through and actually go see the car. If the big thing behind this thing is that J-Lo looks cute in it then that is pretty flimsy marketing. The car and brand are practically unknown quantities here in the states. Cute and boutique chic are not enough in a market where with Scions, Minis, and yes, VW beetles are a much more familiar proposition. Mini is sold in conjunction with your local BMW dealership, Scion at Toyota and Beetles at VW. Really, the 500 is all about style and little else.

And I have to wonder... do fashionable and not so fashionable women really want a car like this?
Isn't attention what a company would want in an ad?JLo has brought plenty of attention to that car.
Now there's two JLO Fiat ads.I think she helps Fiat with the younger female crowd.
They must have paid JLo big bucks too.
Old 11-22-11, 12:36 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Originally Posted by seanlee
with all due respect, the car is probably targeted at female audience (their money, after all, is much easier to grab). i will very much doubt the male customer for this car is ANYTHING close to 20% of total buyer. playing italian sports car vibe and history will do absolutely nothing to help out the car sales.
Even if your 20% number plays out, the upcoming Abarth stuff is very much male customer focused.

It would be silly to not use the same selling points of the Abarth (sporty, Italian heritage) to sell the base 500s and 500Cs. It's like how BMW's M cars draw attention to the entire BMW lineup.
Old 11-22-11, 01:07 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Isn't attention what a company would want in an ad?JLo has brought plenty of attention to that car.
Now there's two JLO Fiat ads.I think she helps Fiat with the younger female crowd.
They must have paid JLo big bucks too.
Having a celebrity hawk your product does not automatically add value to it. There are lots of attention-getting ads but that's only the first step. You cave to get people to do something. In this case there doesn't seem to be any reason to follow through other than to react... "oh... there's Jennifer Lopez on TV". You see her but do you remember the car... or the company... or why you should care? There's a whole superficiality to the whole thing. Rather vapid as a matter of fact. Cars have to be about more than fashion. A LOT more

Last edited by speedflex; 11-22-11 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealers A bumpy road for Fiat 500