Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Dealers A bumpy road for Fiat 500

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 01:11 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Having a celebrity hawk your product does not automatically add value to it. There are lots of attention-getting ads but that's only the first step. You cave to get people to do something. In this case there doesn't seem to be any reason to follow through other than to react... "oh... there's Jennifer Lopez on TV". You see her but do you remember the car... or the company... or why you should care?
That's true somewhat but to the age group Fiat is targeting with that ad,the 500 is getting noticed,IMO..
Old 11-22-11, 01:16 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am surprised that they are charging 26k for a new one with lots of features. The mini cooper sales died pretty quickly after the hype faded. Putting your car in a block buster movie (Italian job) will only get you so far. Fiat's attempt to use J LO in their commercials isnt going to work either. She is yesterdays news and totally talentless ( *** not included lol). I love this little car and high hopes for it in the US but with pricing like that they arent going to go very far. Its a niche vehicle, like the mini, but they should have known that the pricing will only get them so far with hip yuppies buying them as city commuters
Old 11-22-11, 02:48 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Yes they are. Their dealerships are called "Salons".
I believe they're called studios. My bet is that within a year, Fiat-Chrysler will do the same thing as Smart who allowed MB dealers to sell Smarts in a corner of their regular Mercedes showroom.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
This video, for example, of trying to sell the Abarth with a borderline-sexual-content ad (and marginally NWS) just makes the Fiat marketers look like morons.

http://vimeo.com/32318970
Somehow, I knew this link would show up here eventually. Thanks. I think the ad exemplifies their Italian roots - which is what they're selling for the premium price. (Heck, Sergio made Bill Clinton look like a choirboy.)

Last edited by caddyowner; 11-22-11 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-22-11, 05:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

i am not surprised at all this is a dud. it's an answer to a question no one in the u.s. was asking. e.g., "wouldn't it be great if there was a tiny gutless car with no room tarted up a bit and made by a lame government run italian car maker?" - what could possibly go wrong?

why wouldn't someone take a prius-C or a loaded new yaris over this?
Old 11-22-11, 11:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
The Abarth is a performance model with brand recognition like Evo, JCW or STI. All three of which the parent companies had doubts about introducing in the U.S. but did so with great success.

Naming it anything other than Abarth would be a travesty, it is after all the equivalent of TRD for Toyota. There is nothing else it can be called.
It's the name itself. It just sounds bad. A bath? A barf? A Bart? Abatha? Bertha? There is nothing attractive, sporty, or trendy within the name.
Old 11-22-11, 11:26 PM
Kostamojen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's the name itself. It just sounds bad. A bath? A barf? A Bart? Abatha? Bertha? There is nothing attractive, sporty, or trendy within the name.
STI sounds like your car has AIDS, TRD is one letter off of TuRD, JCW sounds like a clothing store, and Evo sounds like something you'd find at a rave.

Your point is?
Old 11-22-11, 11:41 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Kostamojen
STI sounds like your car has AIDS, TRD is one letter off of TuRD, JCW sounds like a clothing store, and Evo sounds like something you'd find at a rave.

Your point is?
Already made my point. TuRD also sounds bad- they are out there. Barf would be another and would not help the brand in a positive way.
Old 11-23-11, 12:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

I think selling 2k/month is pretty good for Fiat 500... if their expectations were double of that, they were being unrealistic.

2k/month for small fashionable car with poor mpg and relatively high price, is simply good sales.
Old 11-23-11, 07:20 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Fiat screwed the dealers by coming with only one model
The 500 is too small for most Americans
Once they add a dew models to the US line up and most importantly bring the cool Alfas the play can be viable
I drove a 500 rental
It is fun and nimble in the city
It lacks power and and has terrible body roll for highway off ramps
Old 11-23-11, 08:29 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
Having a celebrity hawk your product does not automatically add value to it.
Buick found that out with Tiger Woods.
Old 11-23-11, 08:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That's true somewhat but to the age group Fiat is targeting with that ad,the 500 is getting noticed,IMO..
Nobody with an ounce of sense is going to buy a 500 based on J-L strutting herself on TV. Like I said earlier, the 500 is going to sell (or just sit on the lot) by its own merits.

I also disagree with the notion of it being a "chick" car. We hear the same thing (mostly from the auto-press) about the VW Beetle, VW Jetta, Mazda Miata, and base-level Mini-Cooper.......but more males actually drive these vehicles than is generally perceived.
Old 11-23-11, 09:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nobody with an ounce of sense is going to buy a 500 based on J-L strutting herself on TV. Like I said earlier, the 500 is going to sell (or just sit on the lot) by its own merits.

I also disagree with the notion of it being a "chick" car. We hear the same thing (mostly from the auto-press) about the VW Beetle, VW Jetta, Mazda Miata, and base-level Mini-Cooper.......but more males actually drive these vehicles than is generally perceived.
Then why would Fiat pay millions to Lopez?
There's no doubt Lopez in the ad brings attention to the 500 to many people.Especially the 18-25 age group.Most in that group would never see a 500 if it wasn't for Fiat hiring JLo.
The 'chick car' stigma may be silly but it does apply to some vehicles.
My IS being one as well as the wife's CR-V..
Old 11-23-11, 11:43 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The Fiat ads have no credibility. Apparently others agree.
http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/jennif...es-fiat-135716
http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2011/0...car-spot-years
http://jalopnik.com/5839502/fiats-j+...t-500-shoppers
Old 11-23-11, 11:54 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

another one from yahoo saying a body-double was used and the FIAT broke down

http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifi...182135716.html
Old 11-23-11, 12:00 PM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

The 500 is a "me too" MINI minus the fashion icon status from a successful movie product placement (therefore losing the female market) minus the superb driving dynamics (therefore losing the male market). That's all.

Last edited by ydooby; 11-23-11 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Dealers A bumpy road for Fiat 500