Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: 5ES (2011 Lexus ES 350) This is your Life!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-11, 04:39 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
There has to be some still hanging around on a lot somewhere.
True. The Lucerne didn't sell like hotcakes. I'm sure there's plenty somewhere.

Thanks Mike for the awesome review of the ES 350. It's a great car and does have a heritage going all the way back to the 1ES (ES 250). I miss my 2ES (ES 300).
Old 12-13-11, 02:02 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
insulted? hated on? i haven't seen that in the automotive press. ignored though? yes. you already said why, it's non-sporty. it makes it into the all model mag review issues or consumer reports (which worships boring reliable cars ).

i have always said the ES is 'buick done right". nothing wrong with that. huge market. but it's as exciting as a cinder block.

or take a nap.

where is said bashing? expecting enthusiasts to have much of any interest in (let alone enthusiasm for) the ES is expecting too much. as you say, the car is well matched, much like a camry, with its target market. it's safe, boring, quiet, reliable, comfortable and of course the ES has nicer materials.

why would anyone 'hate to admit' it's successful? if they do, maybe they hate their life too.

exactly. not for you and me, but for its target market. haters might be those who would compare the very targeted RX350 with a Porsche Cayenne. that's a STUPID comparison.

you're right, excellent move. target market tends to obsess on gas prices even though it's insane when they're driving a luxury car, but nevertheless, there it is, lexus recognizes this, so good move.

since i believe it competes with buick, i wonder how it compares to a buick regal.
Thanks for the comments. The Lacrosse starts as a 4 cylinder and I think has hybrid assist standard now. There is a no cost V-6 option. The Lacrosse is much larger, like an Avalon, even bigger than that. The interior is a good 2 steps behind. It looks great with the 19s though. The Lucerne had a base price initially at 27k which was 7k LOWER than the ES. Today the Lacrosse starts around 29k, CT money, 5-6 grand less than the ES. It has been a huge hit for Buick.

The Regal is the Opel rebadge, smaller, FWD, I-4 only or I-4 turbo (correct me if I am wrong). Like the TSX a tweener between the 1/CT and 3/IS. Sales also have been brisk and its smaller than the ES. It starts at 26k and change.

In regards to the media and internet trolls the fact is the ES is no mag or internet darling and you still have people crapping on it and Lexus for producing it. The ES is not the face of Lexus, it just happens to be the most successful Asian luxury sedan in that price range. It fulfills its role well and should be judged at that level, not because it might be boring to drive and no 911.

Old 12-13-11, 08:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
... The ES is not the face of Lexus, it just happens to be the most successful Asian luxury sedan in that price range. It fulfills its role well and should be judged at that level, not because it might be boring to drive and no 911.
well said.
Old 12-14-11, 03:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have always wanted to like the ES. From afar I really like it, but as I get closer I start to notice the things that suck.

The big issue I have is all those weird curves inside on the dash and the door panels. And the lame middle radio console just doesn't do it for me.

I would be far more accepting if the powertrain was not identical to the Avalon or the Camry.

You would think the ES would have direct injection and 300 horses.

IMO, the ES is the face of Lexus along with the RX.
Old 12-14-11, 04:20 PM
LexFather

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I have always wanted to like the ES. From afar I really like it, but as I get closer I start to notice the things that suck.

The big issue I have is all those weird curves inside on the dash and the door panels. And the lame middle radio console just doesn't do it for me.

I would be far more accepting if the powertrain was not identical to the Avalon or the Camry.

You would think the ES would have direct injection and 300 horses.

IMO, the ES is the face of Lexus along with the RX.
Not even worth responding too. Such a shame that people have to read this type of baseless posts here. Sad.