Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports: Is VW Providing Us w/ the Same Cars that They Sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 05:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Very interesting points the article has raised. We looked at a Jetta TDI before we bought our Lexus and we could not get over how plastic the interior was. I can see VW going this far as the new Jetta really sucks.
Old 11-23-11, 05:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike, I disagree, you can do a billion things with the car after its rolled off the assembly line, car brands have their tricks for decades...from lowering the car for better press photos to chipped engines to different fabrics etc...
1Sicklex, you are correct. I can't remember who but one of the car markers used to import a boxed cab truck to the USA only to remove the box once in the US and slap on a pickup bed. I think it was Nissan who did but I can't remember. .

There are indeed many things that can be changed once at port
Old 11-23-11, 05:18 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I think the logic behind what VW was doing here was simple: impress the reviewers with attention to detail.

And I'm sure every brand does this one way or another when they loan their cars for testing purposes. A good review from a magazine still holds credibility today (I prefer to drive the cars I am interested in first, then decide but that's a different story...).

I believe Ferrari was accused by Chris Harris of doing something similar with the cars they handed out for testing. And in the '80s many people blamed GM for fixing up the Chevrolet Citations they loaned to reviewers...
so bravo to them for cheating? lol.
Old 11-23-11, 05:37 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Forum Moderator

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
1Sicklex, you are correct. I can't remember who but one of the car markers used to import a boxed cab truck to the USA only to remove the box once in the US and slap on a pickup bed. I think it was Nissan who did but I can't remember. .

There are indeed many things that can be changed once at port
yup, nissan or toyota, can never remember.... you can tell them on the road because the bed is typically rusted into a million pieces, but the cab forward still in decent shape!
Old 11-23-11, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
yup, nissan or toyota, can never remember.... you can tell them on the road because the bed is typically rusted into a million pieces, but the cab forward still in decent shape!
I could not remember who it was for sure. I thought it was either Toyota or Nissan. For a few minutes there I thought it might of been Ford.
Old 11-23-11, 05:55 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
There's only so much a manufacturer can do to refine a press-car. Like it or not, these usually come off the same assembly-lines in the same plants (and built by the same workers and equipment) as production-versions.
A car company can do almost anything to a car if it built into the assembly line. You mention "refine" a car but what CR is talking about is simple cosmetic/internal parts that can be deleted or added at will by the car company.

I am not sure if Toyota still does it, but they used to allow a lot of port installed options in the Japan made cars that were built into the design of the car but were not added at the factory.
Old 11-23-11, 11:05 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I could not remember who it was for sure. I thought it was either Toyota or Nissan. For a few minutes there I thought it might of been Ford.
Toyota did it. They would import the cabs of the trucks, and then build the beds in Long Beach and attach them at port. It was because there is a 25% import tariff on trucks, and Toyota wouldn't be able to compete on price if they built them 100% in Japan. It's partially why the T100 was so expensive compared to its competition.

Ford does the same thing with Transit Connect. They're built with passenger seats and windows in the back, then all of that is removed at port.
Old 11-24-11, 12:11 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm not too worried. If VW is playing around with their test fleet, then CR should disect it and compare it back to back with one they bought. Put everything to rest right there.
Old 11-24-11, 06:13 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

CR is making a mountain out of a molehill. This has been reported before and they're probably just experiencing this practice for the first time. Automakers have a number of press vehicles they loan to journalists for reviews and a team of folks who prep, maintain, and track those cars. Giving a car to an automotive writer subjects it to abuse far worse than an airport rental car. When that car comes back, it's the job of the team to return the car to like-new condition for the next review. I'm sure that process goes far beyond what a rental car agency or CPO inspection does. I'll bet someone from VW saw a "missing" plastic cover and assumed it had fallen off. They did their job.

Nothing to see here, next...
Old 11-24-11, 06:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caddyowner
CR is making a mountain out of a molehill. This has been reported before and they're probably just experiencing this practice for the first time. Automakers have a number of press vehicles they loan to journalists for reviews..
I would like to add that there are times where the vehicle for review with the journalist is an actual pre-production model.
Old 11-24-11, 08:29 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TripleL
The article reads to me as a self promoting ad for how wonderful CR is. And I agree they are very good at what they do but seriously a piece plastic that was on a early media car that doesn't make it to the production models is not enough evidence to jump to the assumption that computers have been flashed or engines blueprinted. It's is pretty thin argument for sure. .
Have to agree with this. It seems like quite a leap from this to all the other things the article mentions. I know some of those things have been done in the past but is there any additional information?

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Wow, extremely poor taste VW. Really makes their recent paid off MT COTY award even more suspect.
Really? A single piece of plastic from a trunk hinge on a potentially pre-production car? Seems like a leap to me.

Originally Posted by DustinV
I think the logic behind what VW was doing here was simple: impress the reviewers with attention to detail.
Is that the only detail you're looking at? I would think that all sorts of other "details" would be different between the two cars then. Just tell us what they were. But one thing, and hinge cover to boot?! Color me unimpressed with CR reporting.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
True, but one has to wonder - if they are changing simple things like that, what else have they been tinkering with?!
Show me the proof. That's what it boils down to. Otherwise it's just another conspiracy theory.
Old 11-24-11, 08:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 140 Likes on 114 Posts

I suppose if CR hadn't mentioned this and then it was later revealed, some people would say the mag is favoring VW and VW is buying them off by not letting people know what's going on.

A damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario.
Old 11-24-11, 08:47 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
CR is making a mountain out of a molehill. This has been reported before and they're probably just experiencing this practice for the first time. Automakers have a number of press vehicles they loan to journalists for reviews and a team of folks who prep, maintain, and track those cars. Giving a car to an automotive writer subjects it to abuse far worse than an airport rental car. When that car comes back, it's the job of the team to return the car to like-new condition for the next review. I'm sure that process goes far beyond what a rental car agency or CPO inspection does. I'll bet someone from VW saw a "missing" plastic cover and assumed it had fallen off. They did their job.

Nothing to see here, next...
I have to agree here. I never read CR except when they are actually in the press for other news.
Old 11-24-11, 10:00 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing new to see here anymore so let's just move along now people
Old 11-24-11, 10:29 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Is that the only detail you're looking at? I would think that all sorts of other "details" would be different between the two cars then. Just tell us what they were. But one thing, and hinge cover to boot?! Color me unimpressed with CR reporting.

Show me the proof. That's what it boils down to. Otherwise it's just another conspiracy theory.
I am not impressed with CR either. I would like to hear what VW has to say, I bet you that the car was a pre production model.

If anything, CR should know that in the brochures and on car maker websites, it usually states that they reserve the right to make changes.

As a matter of fact, we are looking a buying a Tacoma truck, and in the brochure it states "A vehicle with particular equipment may not be available at the dealerships" and "Prototypes shown. Actual production vehicles may vary". CR needs to calm down.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports: Is VW Providing Us w/ the Same Cars that They Sell?