Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumer Reports: Is VW Providing Us w/ the Same Cars that They Sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-11, 10:45 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
Is that the only detail you're looking at? I would think that all sorts of other "details" would be different between the two cars then. Just tell us what they were. But one thing, and hinge cover to boot?! Color me unimpressed with CR reporting.

Show me the proof. That's what it boils down to. Otherwise it's just another conspiracy theory.
I am not impressed with CR either. I would like to hear what VW has to say, I bet you that the car was a pre production model.

If anything, CR should know that in the brochures and on car maker websites, it usually states that they reserve the right to make changes.

As a matter of fact, we are looking a buying a Tacoma truck, and in the brochure it states "A vehicle with particular equipment may not be available at the dealerships" and "Prototypes shown. Actual production vehicles may vary". CR needs to calm down.
Old 11-24-11, 12:04 PM
Stormwind
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't doubt VW sent a "ringer" at all, in fact Lexus does the same thig all the time. I remember when 2nd gen GS first came out the mags RAVED about how good it is, quiet like a Benz handles like a BMW etc, etc and when I saw the pictures I was sold.

It had a good stance, nicely lowered but when I went to the dealer and bought one it sure as hell didn't look like that in the mags.
Attached Thumbnails Consumer Reports: Is VW Providing Us w/ the Same Cars that They Sell?-gs400d.jpg  
Old 11-24-11, 01:02 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
Toyota did it. They would import the cabs of the trucks, and then build the beds in Long Beach and attach them at port. It was because there is a 25% import tariff on trucks, and Toyota wouldn't be able to compete on price if they built them 100% in Japan. It's partially why the T100 was so expensive compared to its competition.

Ford does the same thing with Transit Connect. They're built with passenger seats and windows in the back, then all of that is removed at port.
I remember when we bought a brand new '89 Toyota Hilux V6 4x4. Of couse it was made in Japan. I remember that the windshield glass was not genuine Toyota glass. All of the other trucks on the lot used the same non-toyota windshield glass as well.

Also, as the years went by, the paint on the bed would oxidize much faster than on the rest of the truck. I suspect this happened because the bed had been installed/painted at the Long Beach port. Although by '89-'90 I think the rust issues from the shoddy welds at the Long Beach port were finally addressed.
Old 11-24-11, 02:35 PM
LexFather

I can believe it. VW needs the new Passat to succeed badly. Could it be a quality control mistake? Yes, but then that means it is a VW

Old 11-24-11, 03:01 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stormwind
I don't doubt VW sent a "ringer" at all, in fact Lexus does the same thig all the time.s.
Toyota also used to modify the Camry Solara Coupe by outsourcing it to be cut up and turned into the Solara Convertible. There are so many things that can be done after the fact.
Old 11-24-11, 03:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota also used to modify the Camry Solara Coupe by outsourcing it to be cut up and turned into the Solara Convertible. There are so many things that can be done after the fact.
what does that have to do with VW specially prepping the press cars? Or Hilux or T100?
Old 11-24-11, 03:51 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
what does that have to do with VW specially prepping the press cars? Or Hilux or T100?

The point is the cars are often modified after it leaves the car plant someone earlier said that modifying the car often requires extensive re-tooling. CR is making a mountain out nothing as car makers have supplied pre production cars for decades.
Old 11-24-11, 06:22 PM
LexFather

Of course car brands have supplied pre-production cars for years and guess what they are supposed to say "hey its pre-production" and the author should mention this fact.

This is not a case of a car being pre-production. CR bought it off the dealer lot like they do all their cars. This is not a marketing "ringer". Thus CR wondering what else could be different.

SMH

Old 11-25-11, 04:08 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

The point is the cars are often modified after it leaves the car plant someone earlier said that modifying the car often requires extensive re-tooling. CR is making a mountain out nothing as car makers have supplied pre production cars for decades.
uh?

This has nothing to do with cars being modified from factory - this is being done all the time, but press cars being different than actual model on sale, so they can get more favorable review.