Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Unlicensed drivers in LA no longer have to worry about impounds

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-11, 09:13 AM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlicensed drivers in LA no longer have to worry about impounds

http://www.scpr.org/news/2011/11/23/...impound-rules/

Wow, just wow. I was happy when my city began setting up license checkpoints to get all the uninsured motorists off our local streets, yet in LA they seem to be rewriting laws to encourage people to drive without a license which also means no insurance. Can't wait to get hit by one of these people,
Old 11-23-11, 09:36 AM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of us should be unlicensed then run into Villaraigosa. See how he likes approving this stupid idea
Old 11-23-11, 10:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

figures somewhere like LA thinks it's not 'fair' for people to actually have a license and insurance to drive.
Old 11-23-11, 10:26 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i LOL'd at this...

Activists have complained that illegal immigrants who cannot get driver's licenses are unfairly targeted by the impound law. In March, police Chief Charlie Beck eased impound rules by allowing unlicensed drivers to avoid having their car towed if a licensed driver was available to take it.
0_0

I'm sorry but if you do not have a license - be you legal, illegal, extraterrestrial, etc you DO NOT need to be driving PERIOD.
Old 11-23-11, 10:34 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

I believe the purpose of this law was to not screw over the actual owner of the car, who may/may not be legally licensed and insured.

The fact of life is this, we have a ton of illegal immigrants in this state, and for them to actually be productive instead of purely taking up space (since obviously they arent going anywhere and most of them want to work) they need to be able to drive to work and school. WE force them to drive illegally instead of legally by denying them licenses and insurance, we deny ourselves tax dollars by not registering them, and deny ourselves safety by not allowing them the chance to get licenses so that they may be forced to get insurance, and then we get surprised when so many young minorities turn to crime and anarchy. Yes, they are here illegally, but until we solve the bigger problem of immigration any low-level legislation like driver's license laws and etc. is just us taking pot shots to make ourselves feel better.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 11-23-11 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-23-11, 10:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

this is just lovely
Old 11-23-11, 10:50 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
I believe the purpose of this law was to not screw over the actual owner of the car, who may/may not be legally licensed and insured.

If you are the legally licensed and/or insured owner of the vehicle, IMO, your car deserves to be impounded if you let an unlicensed driver borrow it. It's just plain stupid. If the unlicensed driver gets into an accident, the owners insurance isn't going to apply either. If you let an unlicensed driver borrow your car, i don't see why the law should be relaxed for you at all.
Old 11-23-11, 11:16 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't those same unlicensed drivers reclaim their cars after 30 days if they pay the fee? If so, then what's the point of the law. Give them a means to get a license and thus insurance. Why have them pay a ton of fees if when they get it out, they remain at the same status as 30 days previously.

You guys are screaming impound like the car is gone for good.
Old 11-23-11, 12:03 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Can't those same unlicensed drivers reclaim their cars after 30 days if they pay the fee? If so, then what's the point of the law. Give them a means to get a license and thus insurance. Why have them pay a ton of fees if when they get it out, they remain at the same status as 30 days previously.

You guys are screaming impound like the car is gone for good.
Yes they can reclaim the car after 30 days, but the fees are pretty expensive and for some it means they won't be able to afford to get the car out of the impound anyways. I've seen a few cars for sale on craigslist that are currently in impound lots and the owner just wants $1k or so on top of impound fees for the car in order to get something out of the car rather than lose it all together.

Also, many people don't know this, but i believe there is still a part of CA law that says if your car is impounded twice for someone driving it without a license, the state of CA may choose to forfeit the car and not return the vehicle to the registered owner. In this case, the car is sold, impound/storage fees, selling fees, etc are paid to the state and the owner gets back what is left. So getting it impounded once should not be taken lightly.

Last edited by KillaIS250; 11-23-11 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-23-11, 12:23 PM
Alucard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't understand why we have to make life for illegals easier.
Old 11-23-11, 01:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Alucard
I still don't understand why we have to make life for illegals easier.
haha i guess we don't understand politics
Old 11-23-11, 01:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

I say Eff them them all. I want to make life for illegals so damn hard here that they want to leave.
Old 11-25-11, 01:11 AM
robloc93
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Such ignorant posts here, I won't get into it
Old 11-25-11, 04:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

You want me to tell you what happens in Mexico City if you are unlicensed driver and the police catch you...they impound the vehicle.

This is just amazing to me.
Old 11-25-11, 06:28 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Draft all illegals into militay. Don,t want to go? Fine the C17 will drop you off in any of a list of countries.

Quick Reply: Unlicensed drivers in LA no longer have to worry about impounds